Grassy Bedding?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
jjbean

Grassy Bedding?

Post by jjbean » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:15 pm

i just saw a huge bag of grassy like bedding for £1.50 and thought, bargain! it says on the packaging, 'for rabbits, guinea pigs, mice and other small animals' does anyone know if this type of bedding can be used with rats? i think it can, but i want to be sure, i'm using shredded paper bedding at the moment. thanks :)
Gus and Jaq <3

*Note - colour tags removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

siberiankiss

Re: Grassy Bedding?

Post by siberiankiss » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean hay? Do you remember the brand name? Maybe have a look on P@H website or something so you can show us which one you mean.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

jjbean

Post by jjbean » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:48 pm

yep i think its hay.
Gus and Jaq <3

*Note - colour tags removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Generally hay isn't used as a substrate, but you can give it to your rats as something for them to make beds out of or they might nibble on it, but I've never really known any of mine to be that interested. You should pop it in the freezer before use to kill any nasties on it, and try to use a slightly better quality hay, such as Timothy (I think that's the good one, anyway).
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Mine love hay as bedding :D Daisy makes fantastic nests with it in the Circus 8) Definitely go for a good quality one though.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

lechien

Post by lechien » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:45 pm

it smells grassy and i like it but my rat hates it. Zazie hates all sorts of bedding anyway and pushes it all aside... i've seen her nibbling on it though.

sati18

Post by sati18 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:42 pm

the one time i tried using hay as a bedding all the rats got really bad diarrhoea... i don't know for sure if it was connected but it did put me off ever trying it again.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.