3-Tier Storage Unit From Wilkinsons

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
sandra_may

3-Tier Storage Unit From Wilkinsons

Post by sandra_may » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 pm

After seeing someone mention them somewhere on here, I bought a 3 tier storage unit thingumy from Wilkinsons and put it in the cage today. I thought it looked fab, I used something different in each part so if was more exciting for them to explore and dig around in but as soon as they climbed on it the top tier fell off pulling the whole thing over and then soon after the middle bit plopped down inside the bottom.

Is it just coz my lads are porkers and it can't hold their weight or does it need to be fastened together somehow? What is the best way to stop it happening again but leaving it easy to remove from the cage?

Thanks, San.xx
Sandra

Amez&Missy_Moo

Re: 3-Tier Storage Unit From Wilkinsons

Post by Amez&Missy_Moo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Try attaching it to the cage with cable ties or something similar.
Solidus, Ocelot, RC, Zelda, Jaheira, Big Boss, Colonel, Otacon, Drebin, Mei Ling, Meryl, Sunny
Sleep tight Missy, Mortimer, Akiba, Reeves - we miss you lots xx

msmara

Post by msmara » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:12 am

What storage cage is it? Could I see a pic (sorry I'm nosey :D)
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

laa

Post by laa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 am

i used to secure the levels together with garden wire, then attached it to the cage bars with the same. now i just use them individually as high sleeping boxes
:hearts: Monster, Monkey, Jareth & Ludo :hearts:
:rainbow: Loki, Shake, Dahl, 'Olly', Vac, Bishop, Shakespeare, Burton, Gomaz, Harley, Greebo, Cobway, Ichabod, Marmite, Moran, Iago, Carlos, Oliver, George, Squishee, Sable, Bailey :rainbow:

tigerbabe

Post by tigerbabe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Do you mean the little grey baskets that sit on top of each other??
If you do, I use blu-tak. Each basket has little holes on the top for the basket above to fit into, I put the blu-tak in the holes and the feet of the basket above stops the rats getting to it, while keeping them together. The I attach the top basket to the cage with garden wire or cable ties. I've never had any problems with it done like that :)
Kerry
:smileyrat:Ralph, Horace, Sidney, Malcolm, Jeff, Harold, Oscar, Herbert, Chester, Alfie & Max - Peanut, Snowball (hamsters) - Pixie (dog)
Jack, Emily, Harry, Sophie, Willow, Simon, Smudge & Jasper (bunnies)

sandra_may

Post by sandra_may » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:16 am

Yeah, that's the one I mean. I'm definitely going to try blue tack. I only had a couple of cable ties so did the best I could and that was useless too. I didn't have enough to actually fasten it to the cage but tried tying two baskets together but the top basket still falls off into the underneath one. It's very annoying coz they guys seem yo love it, they are very interested in it which means it's only lasted a max if about 2.5 minutes. Can't wait to try the blue tack tomorrow!!! Thank you tigerbabe!!
Sandra

laa

Post by laa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 pm

it would be a lot easier with garden wire - im not sure if blu tack is toxic?

to tie it with garden wire i threaded the wire through the top basket, had both the ends hanging down, then threaded it through gaps in the bottom basket on all 3 sides and it was very secure and really quite easy.
:hearts: Monster, Monkey, Jareth & Ludo :hearts:
:rainbow: Loki, Shake, Dahl, 'Olly', Vac, Bishop, Shakespeare, Burton, Gomaz, Harley, Greebo, Cobway, Ichabod, Marmite, Moran, Iago, Carlos, Oliver, George, Squishee, Sable, Bailey :rainbow:

fluffster

Post by fluffster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:36 pm

I'd like to see a pic of this too, if possible. :roll: