Hospital cage

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
fiffithehippy

Hospital cage

Post by fiffithehippy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:48 pm

What size cage do most people use as a hospital cage? One of my rats is very sick, near to the end I think. She doesn't move around as much now, so I have her in a large hamster cage (at least I think it's a hamster cage). I know it doesn't sound big enough, but it has a level and enough bar space for her to climb. I have an igloo in the bottom and a hammock up the top. So she has a few places to go. I still feel bad though, because my other rats are in a big old aviary and it just looks so miniscule in comparison. I'd love to have been able to introduce her into the big cage, or pair her up with one of my rats in another cage, but I only have her a few weeks and she hasn't intro'd with any new rats in a long time (the last of her old cagemates died months ago), as she's so ill as well I think it would be too stressful for her. Here's a pic of the cage to give you an idea:

Do you think it's an ok size for her?
Fiona x
:girly: Minstrel, Malteaser, Smudge & Fudge

Forever missing:
:rainbow: Bailey

Jillybean

Re: Hospital cage

Post by Jillybean » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Oh bless her. To be honest, I think it is a bit small . I have a Critter One as my hospital cage and find that to be fine. The Ferplast Mary makes a good one too or a guinea pig cage but with a girl you`d probably have to mesh that over as the bar spacing is wide.

A Critter one might be worth having as they fold away when not in use and they are easy to manage as the top opens right up. If you look on Ebay you may find a second hand one but they aren`t expensive to buy new.

Good luck and I hope your girl stays as comfortable as possible. :luck:
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 pm

I also think it looks too small. I have a 100 cm long rabbit cage as a hospital cage.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

fiffithehippy

Post by fiffithehippy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 pm

I did think it was probably too small but it's the only cage I have that's suitable for her, I have a spare Jenny but I'm afraid of her falling in it.

I'll have a look out for a Critter 1, that would be perfect. Thank you. :)
Fiona x

Forever missing:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 pm

If the jenny isn't needed then you can cut it down so it's a bit shorter.
Cara,

julietm1977

Post by julietm1977 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Personally i think if she has very little time left then she is fine where she is,I have done exactly the same with sickly rats and very very oldies in the past plus you have made it very nice for her in there with a shelf and hammock :)
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

fiffithehippy

Post by fiffithehippy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm

I don't have the tools to cut the jenny down, or anyone manly who'd help I don't think.. :roll: Plus I'd like to sell it on as it's in good condition.

@julietm1977
She does actually seem to like it in there. She snoozes away happily most of the day in either the igloo or the hammock, and actually doesn't particularly seem to like coming out for free-range time! (to be fair though, it's a completely new process for her, she's never been free-ranged before. :() I would like to give her a bit more space if I can though. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Does anyone know where I could get a Critter 1 by any chance? I've had a bit of a nosey on google but there don't seem to be many around. Ebay and Preloved have none either. :( I really like the flat-pack option for when I'm not using it.
Fiona x

Forever missing:

julietm1977

Post by julietm1977 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Well your very caring so i think shes rather lucky to have you :)

Look on ebay in the chinchilla ferret and rat sections you just have to look through as there very often not advertised as Critter cages,Good luck :D
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Cara,

fiffithehippy

Post by fiffithehippy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

Ooh, thanks! Oh by the way, that eye-rolling in my last post wasn't directed at you. Just realised it might've come off like that!

@julietm1977
Thank you. :)
Fiona x

Forever missing:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 am

I didn't think it was aimed at me :D It was just an idea that may of worked if you'd had the right tools :wink:
Cara,

Davey_Speedstar

Post by Davey_Speedstar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 am

It's always sad to see a rat having to live out the last of it's days alone...Is she able to free-range with the rest of the group (perhaps somewhere neutral?)
Daddy to Dawkins the Syrian Hamster
DaveySpeedstar.com/net/whatever

fiffithehippy

Post by fiffithehippy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:19 pm

I don't like leaving her alone either but didn't want to give her extra stress.. I haven't tried introducing her to any yet but I've only started free-ranging her the last few days as she seems to have perked up a bit. I might try pairing her up with one of my gentler rats and see if they get on.
Fiona x

Forever missing:

wizzyjo

Post by wizzyjo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 pm

fiffithehippy wrote:I don't like leaving her alone either but didn't want to give her extra stress.. I haven't tried introducing her to any yet but I've only started free-ranging her the last few days as she seems to have perked up a bit. I might try pairing her up with one of my gentler rats and see if they get on.
That sounds like a good idea to me. Personally, I would try to introduce her to them and see how it goes. For all we know, it could be an amazing intro where they all have no issues from the start and she could move in straight away with them but it may not actually work like that. Id try introduce her to the others one by one on neutral terretory with lots of things to keep them both occupied so they dont have only eachother to concentrate on :)
Mammy to 3 beautiful boys; Peppin, Ricco and Noodle.
Rest in peace Sam and Beany. Brothers now reunited in rat heaven <3 Rest peacefully my Waldo, never forgotten.