Explorer shelves

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
annc

Explorer shelves

Post by annc » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Does anyone know of any replacements for these? I am fed up with them falling down while I try to put them up, and they get so filthy.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

ScattieMcRattie

Re: Explorer shelves

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:27 pm

i made shelves out of correx. instead of having them on one side i have them running along the back i seem to have lost the photo i took amongst the junk on my computer but i found this video of my boys (RIP) pootling about. so you can see what i mean.

" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 pm

You could use Ferplast corner shelves instead of the shelves it comes with.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

annc

Post by annc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:55 am

I was wondering if the Ferplast shelves fitted. A shelf only just missed the rats last night.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 am

I have them in my Abode. I can't get all 4 screws in, but it's secure enough with 3. You could use cable ties to fix them in the cage if you can't use the screws.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 am

I've got several ferplast shelves plus a few different sized cat litter trays cable tied to the cage which make really good shelves and can also be filled with things for digging :)
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Do you mean the plastic piece or the wire it rests on? I put mine in little pillowcase style fleece sleeves and have no problems with them sliding off and they wash so easy
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 am

I've taken the shelves out, as have several other people I know and find I can get a much better and more interesting layout of things in it without them.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 pm

I also find them a bit large and in the way. The ferplast ones don't fit though so you have to tie them.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:40 pm

I found the ferplast corners to fit - just. As said only with 3 of the screws but that is secure enough. Only problem with the explorers is that you cant attach corner shelves at the front because of the doors (although I used some chain and clips to "suspend" that side from the roof.

I too find the explorer shelves can be quite easily unhooked from the cage and fall down, it doesnt take much of a bump when attaching a hammock below to send it swinging.
Not exactly precision engineered these explorers :lol:

Id be very interested to see the correx "rear shelf" you made, Scattie, and how you supported it ?
Would a c&c type construction work ?
Doug, witless provider to :
Boys: Brannigan, Kiff.
Girls: Yuffie, Rinoa, Peaches.
:rainbow: 12 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Johnny-5 :rainbow:
Glue Trap Awareness

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Hiya heretic prime. :-) i'm not sure what you mean by c&c construction!? but i just made it the same as a base and cable tied it in place. Ht worked very well indeed for me. and i have these s shaped clips that i can slide on the correx and hang things from.

its currently all taken apart while i sort things out for new arrivals but if anyone's interested i'll take pictures and maybe do a tutorial as i plan to make another one soon too. you can make it any size you want to fit any cage and even make it deep enough for substrate should you choose.

any ways if anyone's interested let me know and i'll usy do it this weekend for you all xxx
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:i'm not sure what you mean by c&c construction!?
Sorry, that's a guinea pig thing :oops: "Cubes and Coroplast". Having a look at it, I reckon a suitable shelf could be cable-tied on for the Correx box to sit on, making it easy to remove for cleaning whilst adding plenty hanging options beneath due to the wire cube grids.
The grid sections are generally about 30cm squares, so three tied overlapping would provide a good stable shelf in an explorer - I have a bunch of spare grids and correx, so sounds like I have a project for my week off now :)

Does that sound like what you were looking for too Annc ? Or was it more keeping the same shelf layout but making it more secure ?
Doug, witless provider to :
Boys: Brannigan, Kiff.
Girls: Yuffie, Rinoa, Peaches.
:rainbow: 12 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Johnny-5 :rainbow:
Glue Trap Awareness

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

i know what you mean now, i'm familiar with the guinea pig site. i was looking for some of those cube things for ages a while ago, before i gave up, for the same reason you mentioned, o go under the shelf. but seeing as though i couldnt get my hands on any i jsut cable tied it to the cage and it was fine. if i can get some of those cubes though i'l still prob use them in the cage for something. you'll have to let us know how your weekend project goes heretic prime. and dont forget to show us the pictures lol. :D
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube