Could someone please recommend a cage for 2 rats

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
_Dan_

Could someone please recommend a cage for 2 rats

Post by _Dan_ » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am

I've been rat free since November and I'm looking to bring a couple of rats in to my life again.
I currently have a tom cage, however it's been stored in an outside shed and looking a bit rusty and generally past it's sell by date.

I'd prefer something similar in size to the tom cage, perhaps smaller - but still plenty big enough for 2 rats.

What are your recommendations?

thanks in advance,

Dan

Snippet

Re: Could someone please recommend a cage for 2 rats

Post by Snippet » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 am

I like the Liberta Abode for a small group. I used to only have 2 girls, and they loved all the space in it. I now have 4 girls in it and it's still a nice size for them all.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 am

Some people will recommend a Freddy for 2 rats. I personally would go no smaller than a Tom as I think they need that much space. Is it adults you are getting? If so then the Abode is very good and sturdy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberta-Abode-F ... B002Y0HTS0 or the new design flat packable Jenny http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catal ... -1489.html is meant to be quite good at the moment
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 pm

I think a Savic Freddy 2 is an ideal cage for 2 rats. I still have mine four years later which is still in excellent condition but I now use it as a hospital cage :D

Otherwise the Furet Plus is very good too with easy access. I don't really like the Jenny's as I find their access is poor which gets annoying.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

_Dan_

Post by _Dan_ » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm liking the look of the Jenny. It seems the designers have addressed the previous downfalls of the older model; small doors, uncoated bars etc.

Is that website the cheapest place to purchase this cage?

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 pm

_Dan_ wrote:Is that website the cheapest place to purchase this cage?
Not sure, I only did a quick search but it was the cheapest on the first page of google hits.
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 pm

What's up with the tom? If you're up for a small bit of effort sprucing it up again should be relatively easy. Lots of people do this with 2nd hand cages, or those that are just a bit worn, or have been stored in outhouses/ the garden :D
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi....Just to say that I like the Furet Plus for two rats also. It is so easy to manage with good access and a nice deep tray and won`t break the bank. It also folds away if not in use.

My four girls have the Abode which Snippet mentioned and is excellent but a metal tray is advised to replace the plastic tray if you go for this one. I`m not a fan of Jennys either. My Furet Plus is wrapped up and put away for when my numbers get down to two. :D

I would hang on to your Tom cage though . You could revitalize it at your leisure while your ratties enjoy their new cage :D
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I'd go with a freddy, nothing wrong with them for 2 or 3 rats who get plenty of free range time and they go pretty cheaply on ebay.

Or if you think you are likely to be afflicted with GMR I'd go for something that can comfortably hold 5-6.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

whoopdedoo

Post by whoopdedoo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Our two are in a Savic Freddy Max/ChiChi 2 and more than happy with the amount of room available for jumping on eachother's heads! :lol:

_Dan_

Post by _Dan_ » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:What's up with the tom? If you're up for a small bit of effort sprucing it up again should be relatively easy. Lots of people do this with 2nd hand cages, or those that are just a bit worn, or have been stored in outhouses/ the garden :D
In 2 of the corners the bars have gone bubbly/rusty. I wouldn't like to risk them gnawing away and ingesting rust, can't imagine it being too good for their health.

kellz

Post by kellz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:55 pm

i have my two girls in the furet plus and its awesome :)
owned by Luna and Scabbers <3

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

_Dan_ wrote:In 2 of the corners the bars have gone bubbly/rusty. I wouldn't like to risk them gnawing away and ingesting rust, can't imagine it being too good for their health.
You can remove the rust/peeling paint areas with wire wool, then touch it up with a child safe paint like plastikote or japlac :) much cheaper than buying a whole new cage, if you like the tom - i think its a fab cage for small groups :smileyrat:
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:02 pm

snaisby wrote:
_Dan_ wrote:In 2 of the corners the bars have gone bubbly/rusty. I wouldn't like to risk them gnawing away and ingesting rust, can't imagine it being too good for their health.
You can remove the rust/peeling paint areas with wire wool, then touch it up with a child safe paint like plastikote or japlac :) much cheaper than buying a whole new cage, if you like the tom - i think its a fab cage for small groups :smileyrat:
I agree. I love my Tom although a nice big door on the top would be nice as well. I'm just spoiled with my Explorer's access.

Member of the EC!