Cage from hell

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Ratters

Cage from hell

Post by Ratters » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi I am new here but I don't have the nicest introduction story.

Sadly I lost one of my baby rats called Minnie on Friday due to a freak accident. I have no idea how it happened but she got her head stuck in the latch on her cage. I was outside in the garden and my friend fed them and swore he shut the cage (he's fed them many times before) and came outside with me. We were only outside for about 20 minutes but I just peeked through the window from outside and saw that part of the cage was open. This is not a problem even if it opened by accident (I only let them out when i can supervise them) as the room is completely rat proofed. My rat climbed out of the cage and got her head stuck in the cage latch, the part where you can put your finger through (it is a wire loop exactly like the ones pictures on this cage...)

http://www.newcastlepets.co.uk/images/500150.jpg

I went back inside the house just expecting to see my rats running about but instead I just saw Minnie hanging there with this horrible latch hoop around her face and her claws were broken because of all the struggling. I thought maybe she was trying to go back in her cage and got accidentally stuck but the latch wasn't even around her neck but somehow she got stuck. It was absolutely horrific I am completely devastated.

I just don't understand how this is possible. I was told be the pet shop it was a rat cage but this is obviously not a safe design. We got the latch off the cage because her head seemed stuck but when it was off the cage her head just slid out easily. I cut my fingers trying to pull it off the cage until we found some pliers I was just frantic to get her off.

I just want to warn all of you about the dangers of these cages. I know this may sound like a one in a million accident but it seems to me these hoops are very dangerous and my little sweetheart lost her life because of it. I am a very responsible person and have made sure my rats are very safe in my home and they are allowed to wander supervised every day and never had problems, yet this happens? Has anyone had problems with these cages? I have covered the floors because I thought the mesh would be too harsh for their feet, that's the only fault I could find but how on earth could my rat get her head stuck in a latch on a cage that was apparently designed for rats? I would never suspect this. I do not want this cage anymore, I just wish with all my heart she was still alive. My other rats must have seen this happen and have seemed withdrawn since. I feel terrible about this.

I

fuschia

Re: Cage from hell

Post by fuschia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:41 pm

:cry: Oh that is such a terrible thing to have happened to your little rattie, I'm so, so sorry you lost her in such a distressing accident :halo:
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm so sorry you went through such a horrifying experience :(
The cage looks like a critter 2 which is quite a common rat cage and although I have never heard it to have caused the death of any rat I think it's good to warn others of potential dangers.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Ratters

Post by Ratters » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:39 am

Rhi01 wrote:I'm so sorry you went through such a horrifying experience :(
The cage looks like a critter 2 which is quite a common rat cage and although I have never heard it to have caused the death of any rat I think it's good to warn others of potential dangers.
Yes. I will save for a new cage and I have crushed the loops with pliers so no rat can get their head through. Hopefully no one else will have to experience their rat getting trapped like that. I am trying to find out who the manufacturer is.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:37 pm

That must have been a truly horrible experience. Definitely one for people to look out for, especially if they use critters for young rats, I guess your girl was a smaller lady. I have heard of one accident involving similar style cages in the past, where an older rat could push the top up (against the springs) but not get out herself, and a little baby decided to try and get out and got trapped between. I know that whenever I use this cage (I have it as a backup/holiday cage) I make sure I tighten the top springs very firmly so the rats can’t life the top up.

Manufacturer wise, I’m not sure who makes the critters however I do know it’s based of the design by an American manufacturer, I can’t remember the names, those are generally considered the better quality cages too. I will try and dig it up for you, if nothing else they may appreciate the warning, even if they didn’t make your cage.

edited to add, i think it was Tenzani or somethign like that, the cage name Moore springs to mind too. All there cages had a similar latch design.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:09 am

Terenziani are Italian. But theirs were far superior in quality and not really comparable except in design basics. e.g. in this situation, their spring clips were so immensley strong that seriously, no rat would manage :lol: They were originally designed for chinchillas and degus not rats.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

FizzyP0p

Post by FizzyP0p » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:19 pm

I don't have anything constructive to say, only that I'm sorry to hear your horrific news, truely awful :cry:
--* Rat Mama to Two Baby Dumbo Boys, Pinky (In Pic) and Bender (Shy) :love: *--

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Ratters wrote:
Rhi01 wrote:I'm so sorry you went through such a horrifying experience :(
Yes. I will save for a new cage and I have crushed the loops with pliers so no rat can get their head through.
Very good idea, I'm sure that will keep the others safe. I'm so sorry to hear about this, I've never encountered anything like it before and you do sound like you do everything you can think of to keep your rats safe. I know it's not really any consolation but it isn't your fault :hearts:
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

msmara

Post by msmara » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Oh Gosh :( So sorry for your loss. Hope you're able to get a new cage soon. You can sometimes get really cheap (if not free) rat cages from places like Freecycle, the Market here, Trade-it, Pre-loved, Gumtree etc, so worth having a look. welcome to FR, wish it was under better circumstances
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Poor baby :cry: I hope you're ok though :(
<3 Eddie, Tiffany, Iris, Bluebell, Callie, Pearle <3
<3 RIP Boston Grace Molly Percy <3
.. This wont be a goodbye, but i will see you some day soon

sati18

Post by sati18 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:52 pm

I am so sorry that you had to go through this :-( it must have been terrible.

I did want to add though for anyone reading this thread that i suspect that might be the reason why a critter's doors open inwards (because it would then be very difficult for a rat to get stuck because they would have to pull the door forward instead of pushing). I wonder sometimes about the advice to change the doors so they open outwards as it seems that it may be easier for the rat to move the doors that way.

Just a thought.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

beetroot

Post by beetroot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:35 pm

When I bought a critter new it didn't have any instructions. They should tell you that you have to pull those springs far enough to have a secure fastening. It is a safe cage if this is done.
I'm a real boy!

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Oh Im so sory for you it must be terrible, I nearly cried reading this. :(
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

Ratters

Post by Ratters » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Thank you for the replies.
Since the incident I have adjusted the cage and it is safe now and I've made it larger by adding an extra cage.