Free ranging straight out from the cage

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.

Free ranging in the room where the cage is

Door open so they have cage access
85%
Door closed so they have to stay out
10%
Other
6%

Total votes: 52

Betterstar

Re: Free ranging straight out from the cage

Post by Betterstar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:30 pm

We don't free range straight from the cage, but we use a carrier to transport them which we used to keep a water bottle on so they'd have somewhere safe to go if they wanted, but they just sit in the carrier so we take it away and they're more than happy to run around. If the living room was safe I'd probably take them out and shut the door.. though at the moment we have trouble keeping them in the cage when we just want feed or give Boo his meds, I don't want to imagine what they'd be like if climbing out of the cage was allowed!
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

SammieChoc

Post by SammieChoc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:20 am

Hi I am rather new to my ratties....if yours free range around the room or house, i assume they just poo and pee where they want? I don't think I could do that....i have enough trouble cleaning up after me and my 8 year old.

what i did do for exercise was buy two 10 foot lengths of corrugated irrigation drainage tubing at the hardware store. It has a fairly large diameter.it's the black plastic kind. I joined them with a connector. Then I meander them from their cage door around a couple turns and it winds up on the table next to my computer. So then I put out veggies and nuts etc in a dish on the table, and they race thru the tube back and forth MANY times (it's quite funny to hear the skittering and watch the tube vibrate as they make their rounds) to take the goodies from the bowl and stash it away one by one in their cage.

I have a wheel but they have never figured it out.

steph
Grandma of Sammie (Siamese Rex) and Chocolate (Russian Blue Dumbo)
Owner of Snapaholics.com, a site for bling for little girls' braids and twists!!!

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 am

we mostly have an open cage door policy here, especially now they can dig tunnels and bed time would need a trowl.
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:31 am

I just open the door but sometimes i will drag them out on plop them on the floor, they rarely go back to bed after that, the lil boys tend to charge in and out for ten minutes but then start investigating (its all a new system so they aren't quite used to it just yet).

Poppyhal

Post by Poppyhal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I leave the door open. I like the fact they can feel comfortable to do what they want without being forced to stay out, after all it's thier home and if they want to go back in they should be allowed. Also this enables them to poo in the cage (why would I force them to stay out and then poo in my living room?!) and get water when they need it.

I have both boys and girls in the same cage, and normally just call them to come out. One of the boys sleeps like he is dead, so if he doesn't hear me, so I will gently wake him up and encourage him to come out. The other boy is laaaazzzzzzzyyy, so he can take a bit more effort to get him out. If they don't come out, I will pick them up and put them in the cage by the open door. I never actually take them out of the cage as I want them to choose whether or not they want to come out.

Once I've made sure they are all out (or they know that the door is open), they are free to go back in and out whenever they want. To get them back in, I shout "foooooood", and then they all come running, jump back into the cage and wait for thier tea to be scattered over the cage floor :D
:love: Fraggle, Dusty, Pootle, Lennie, Scamp, Biscuit, Pickle, Cinders and Norman-Stanley-Fletcher :love:
Missing you all

neela

Post by neela » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 pm

We used to have the cage in the living room, with a playpen around it for freerange. If I kept the doors open, they'd come out for quick potter-round and then go back in and sleep - but whenever I had to go and came to close the doors, they'd immediately wake up and come up to the bars and start their "let us oooout" routine :roll: So I found that to give them a decent amount of active freerange it worked better to close the doors when they were out. Nowadays the cage is in the spare room and they freerange in half the living room, and they easily run around for a couple of hours before finding a spot to curl up for a sleep or we carry them back to the cage, which seems more healthy and fun for them.
Lisa & the BatRats @ http://www.batrats.co.uk: Dicey, Roux, Busby, Fliss, Rae, Nancy, Dr Pepper, Darkling, Contra, Stanleymuffin.
At the bridge: Bernie Mac, Tesla, Elliot, Bunk, Bandy, Bobby, sorely missed and forever loved.

faye1988

Post by faye1988 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Open for the girls, they love to run in and out and climb about, but Closed for the boys or they would never stay out!
:girly: Cookie, Cupcake, Dusty, Pixie, Pepper, Star :smileyrat:Boris, Bailey, Whisky, Monty, Tintin
:rainbow: RIP all those gone but never forgotten xx

lechien

Post by lechien » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm

mine has access to the cage from the free-range area (my bed plus a table with a digging box etc.) pretty much all day long. some days they don't immediately come out and linger in their chosen lounging areas, but usually they dash out to come climb all over me and then off to bury themselves in the dig box or the other thing and only return to the cage when they are thirsty/hungry/poo/pee.

but lately they realised that the dig box table is "theirs", so they take the liberty to "go" there too... :roll:

in the last few days the weather is superb so i put them back in the cage and roll it to the window so they get the fresh air. whether they like it or not!! :lol:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I get them out and leave the door shut for 1/2 an hour, then open it for the rest of freerange so that those who want to go back can after the bare minimum :roll:
but i have lazy boys so if i didn't shut them out then they would just amble back to their hammocks :lol:
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

cam

Post by cam » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I have rat proofed the room theie cage is in, so all i do is open the door and within a minute, all five of my girls are out, i leave the door open the whole time so they can use it for their buisness so they don't go in my room.

Mine seem to stay out exploring the whole time, occasionally going back to the cage to go poop or get a drink etc, it's the only way i have done it and it seems to work fine for the girlies i have at the moment.
Peanut, Misty, Nibbles and Smudge
R.I.P Star

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:07 am

I leave doors open but as i set up the playpen for them they gather and show signs of great excitement. Most tend to fall out of the cage in their haste, some will come to the door and watch the games. If there are any unusual noises they will all scarper back to the cage. Some will decide to come out when all the others are going back in :roll: I sit in the pen with them and if I don't see them all in the first haf hour I go and check to see if they are okay and bring them out. If they are in grumpy mode they will just toddle back of to bed but most times they look at me as if to say why didn't you wake me? :lol:
I do this with both groups boys and girls and free range time generally ends when they have all gone back by themselves, usually just over an hour per group.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 am

My lads used to get free run of the living room, so now that they get locked in I just open the door when I'm giving them free range. If I didnt they would just climb the explorer and sit on the top making me nervous! My first 2 ratties would just come out of the cage and find a spot to sleep which is why they ended up getting free run, but these 2 just want to play when they're out.

I think its a bit easier for me because the room is rat proofed (though they do like to test that :roll: ), so it isnt a case of "this is their 1 hour free range slot so if they dont come out they've lost it", also there's always someone in of an evening so they generally get to come out from 7pm until I go to bed (usually quite late) and they do spend most of that time playing.

I think how the rats behave in free range also dictates hows best for you to do it, if they just kept going back into the cage to sleep during free range, I'd lock them out.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:00 pm

My explorer is in the playpen :D This way they can have much more playtime - nearly all day at weekends - and still be able to pop back in for a snack/drink/snooze as and when they fancy. The boys like to nest underneath the cage and I've had to bodge a lid to stop the hamster cage tinies making a proper bid for freedom, but otherwise it's gone down a storm... :luck: The next stage of my master plan is to extend the playpen so I can fit in it too (it looks much smaller now the cage is inside, but its still 6x4ft).
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

majeekarevel

Post by majeekarevel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 pm

My girls are hardly in their cage these days, but the door is open for when they want to go in. Very occasionally I fing Majeeka in the cage sleeping in the house but more often than not they are both buried somewhere in an old jacket on top of their old cage.
Out of my mind . . . . . . . back in 5 minutes!!

Goodbye for now my angel Revel, love you lots and lots :hearts: :dumbohalo: :dumborainbow: