Hot weather

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
rudyrat

Hot weather

Post by rudyrat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:40 pm

What do you do to help keep your rats cool when it's hot? It's getting increasingly more warm and I don't want them to over heat, i have the window wide open, lots of water, and offer them cucumber and strawberrys to try and keep them as cool as possible.
So what do you do? Thought it'd be interesting to see!
Rowan, Scabbers, Daisy & Snookie :love:

Golgotha_tramp

Re: Hot weather

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey,

You can get cooling pads for animals like this or like this that either naturally are slightly cooler or can be frozen to be cool. Also Pea fishing (cold water with peas in) is good if your rats like it. I also put veg pieces set in ice in a coop cut for them. misting with water can help or a dunk in some cold water (although they may sulk after)

Rat's don't sweat or pant to stay cool so fans don't do much (except circulate air).
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

shibby69

Post by shibby69 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:50 pm

There are lots of things you can do to help keep rats cool - generally mine get things like ice in their water bottles and frozen veg/fruit/pea fishing - they also like those marble slabs to lie on, or tiles but they don't seem to stay cool for as long.
Kyra x
Atlas rattery - Breeding for essex in russian blue, and also breeding russian dove, buff and black
http://www.atlasrats.co.uk

rudyrat

Post by rudyrat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 pm

I tried the pea fishing with my older two and they just didn't "get it", they aren't the smartest rats i've owned :lol:
I'll have to try it with the babies, see if they catch on to it!!

rudyrat

Post by rudyrat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:52 pm

shibby69 wrote:There are lots of things you can do to help keep rats cool - generally mine get things like ice in their water bottles and frozen veg/fruit/pea fishing - they also like those marble slabs to lie on, or tiles but they don't seem to stay cool for as long.
Maybe it's worth me buying a marble type slab which chin chillas use to roll on to keep cool - thanks! :)

AnnieD

Post by AnnieD » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Golgotha_tramp wrote: misting with water can help or a dunk in some cold water (although they may sulk after)
).
this made me laugh as I thought you meant dunk the ice !!!!! Serious subject I know but I chuckled x
Anne
Tag, Che, Hachi, Toby & JJ :love:

:rainbow: Teeko now playing at the bridge xxx

Golgotha_tramp

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:57 pm

AnnieD wrote:
Golgotha_tramp wrote: misting with water can help or a dunk in some cold water (although they may sulk after)
).
this made me laugh as I thought you meant dunk the ice !!!!! Serious subject I know but I chuckled x
Sulking ice is the worst as well, talk about "cold shoulder" :lol:
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

AnnieD

Post by AnnieD » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh I know "shivers"...... :lol:
Anne
Tag, Che, Hachi, Toby & JJ :love:

:rainbow: Teeko now playing at the bridge xxx

rudyrat

Post by rudyrat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 pm

haha! :lol: :lol:

ShinyRainbow

Post by ShinyRainbow » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:06 pm

rudyrat wrote:I tried the pea fishing with my older two and they just didn't "get it", they aren't the smartest rats i've owned :lol:
I'll have to try it with the babies, see if they catch on to it!!
My babies got this straight away, but they seem fearless when it comes to water. One of my older girls won't get her dainty paws wet for anyone :lol:
~*~ :girly: Maya ~*~ :girly: Pearl ~*~ :dumbogirly: Blossom ~*~ :girly: Clover ~*~

~*~ :rainbow: Brothers reunited at the bridge - Dexter & Casey :hearts: ~*~

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Tried the whole pea fishing thing, they just drank the water. Which makes me think they dont know how to use the bottle