Whats The Difference

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Sugar-Mouse

Whats The Difference

Post by Sugar-Mouse » Mon May 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Between the Ferret Nation, Explorer & the Savic Royal Suite?

What are the pros & cons?

Which is the best one to get?

If i'm gonna fork out for a nice cage id rather get the right one to begin with rather than waste alot of money when I could have had something better
Bunny Mum To ~ Tinkerbell, Tiger, Tilly, Tia, Bluebell, Button, Basil, Archie & Shelby
Also Mum To ~ Louie The Chihuahua & Twiglet The African Pygmy Hedgehog <3
Friendly Rabbit Forum: http://www.rabbitretreat.com/

Ratty_Rhian

Re: Whats The Difference

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 pm

The Ferret nation has larger bar spacing so isn't suitable for babies or small does. The explorer (which I love) has rubbish trays (I got a metal tray made which is fab) and it has mainly vertical bars which people find tricky for hanging things. They were very cheap as I got mine a week old for £90. The SRS is more expensive (less of a difference now as explorers have gone up) but has slightly deeper trays and splash guards. It has mainly horizontal bars which is easier for hanging stuff but is blue and I would prefer my gun metal grey explorer.

If I was changing cages now assuming my Explorer was broken/rusted beyond repair I would probably go for as SRS but keep my metal tray.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 pm

I must remember to take a comparison pic tomorrow between my explorer and srs.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:41 pm

To butt in ever so slightly... where can you get a ferret nation?

I would go fo Explorer over SRS. Having cleaned out (and furnished) an SRS (of my friends) and having an Explorer myself I found the Explorer much easier to clean + decorate. I have correx trays for my explorer which I made myself and taped together.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Sugar-Mouse

Post by Sugar-Mouse » Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Thank-you all for your replies.

I was looking at the Explorer, but then I read that they go rusty :/
The srs is a nice cage but the colour is just urgh!

I suppose the Explorer could be painted in Japlac or Plastikote? Which would probably prolong its life and stop it rusting?

Why does it rust anyway? Having never seen one face to face I can't really imagine how they are so to speak :lol:
Bunny Mum To ~ Tinkerbell, Tiger, Tilly, Tia, Bluebell, Button, Basil, Archie & Shelby

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Tue May 03, 2011 8:33 pm

I've had my Explorer well over a year now and I have no rust on mine. I have had 10 in mine up until last week and am now down to 9. I wipe it down weekly with dilute vinegar to remove traces of pee and give it a good srub with soapy water about 3 or 4 times a year. I really don't think they are prone to rusting.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Sugar-Mouse

Post by Sugar-Mouse » Tue May 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:I've had my Explorer well over a year now and I have no rust on mine. I have had 10 in mine up until last week and am now down to 9. I wipe it down weekly with dilute vinegar to remove traces of pee and give it a good srub with soapy water about 3 or 4 times a year. I really don't think they are prone to rusting.
Oh..maybe I read it wrong. Maybe it was another cage then... :???: Hmmm....
I've been looking at the cage on a website that has some good pictures and it seems to have a nice finish to it. I notice it comes with plastic trays, are they a bit rubbish? As i've noticed most people seem to use plastic boxes or get metal trays made?

sanitysuckz

Post by sanitysuckz » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 pm

I have none of the cages mentioned, but have been looking at getting one around that size so reading posts/etc related to them. I don't remember seeing anything about Explorers rusting - only comment usually made seems to be the shallow/flat trays that others have mentioned already.

ETA - as far as I know people get metal trays made, some use plastic IKEA tubs of the right size or some use correx/similar to make a deep base...and a number of other ways. Just going off my memory of reading too many cage threads :oops:
Amy + Iris, Leto & Thea

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Wed May 04, 2011 6:35 am

I have 2 explorers and have no real issues with them, I love the access, they can be bought 2nd hand for a reasonable price (both mine were under £100) I use cat litter trays in the bases and have had no problem hanging things. Also the bars are powdercoated so don't rust.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 am

The Ferret Nations have nearly no tray at all. You can't use a substrate in them as it will all end up on the floor. I've also been told that they can be prone to rusting.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Sugar-Mouse

Post by Sugar-Mouse » Wed May 04, 2011 10:15 am

I've just been looking through the set-up pages and I have to say, I think its the Explorer for me!

Can babies go in an Explorer okay? And is the shelf removable, and do ferplast shelves fit in? (Seen some pink ones on ECF i'd much rather use than boring grey!)

What are the Explorer trays like?

I also quite like the look of the Abode/Tower, but I prefer the way the Explorer can be split in 2 cages if needed. There are so many lovely cages out there, how do you all choose?!

Stevmic

Post by Stevmic » Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 am

Sugar-Mouse wrote:I've just been looking through the set-up pages and I have to say, I think its the Explorer for me!

Can babies go in an Explorer okay? And is the shelf removable, and do ferplast shelves fit in? (Seen some pink ones on ECF i'd much rather use than boring grey!)

What are the Explorer trays like?

I also quite like the look of the Abode/Tower, but I prefer the way the Explorer can be split in 2 cages if needed. There are so many lovely cages out there, how do you all choose?!
I have an explorer but it's only my second ever cage with my first ever rats so I'm no expert.

The trays are a bit pants in honesty. They have a slight lip to stop mess falling out of the cage but isn't all the effective. The trays are made from a thin vacuum formed ABS plastic they will chew through in no time at all. They rest on a grate that's built into the cage and can't easily be removed. I've just wrapped my shelves in fabric (£20 for the lot) which should prevent things falling out and also be easier to clean.

I was lucky and got my cage with a lot of accessories at a really good price.
Please, call me Mike :)

Vince :smileyrat: + Miles :smileyrat: + Eli :dumbo: +Griffin :dumbo:
R.I.P Blue :sadrat:

msmara

Post by msmara » Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 am

Sugar-Mouse wrote:I've just been looking through the set-up pages and I have to say, I think its the Explorer for me!

Yeah, I've had 4 week old babies in my explorer & they're fine. Yep, ferplast shelves do fit in, but you may have to use 1 or 2 cable ties as they may not fit exactly by the bars for the screws to fit (make sense?)
Sugar-Mouse wrote: What are the Explorer trays like?
Not brilliant, but they're ok. If you have chewers then it may well get destroyed quite easily, however mine don't chew, so haven't had any issues :-)
Sugar-Mouse wrote: I also quite like the look of the Abode/Tower, but I prefer the way the Explorer can be split in 2 cages if needed. There are so many lovely cages out there, how do you all choose?!
For me, the final choice was the access in the end. I absolutely love the fact you can open the entire front of the cage, but also you can hang things on the door so it's not like you lose the space if you know what I mean?
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Stevmic

Post by Stevmic » Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 am

As said above, the main reason for my choice was also access. It's brilliant how the whole front of the cage opens up.

Ultimately I would have loved an SRS but could no way justify the cost. Now I've got my explorer I'm more than happy with it.
Please, call me Mike :)

Vince :smileyrat: + Miles :smileyrat: + Eli :dumbo: +Griffin :dumbo:
R.I.P Blue :sadrat:

msmara

Post by msmara » Wed May 04, 2011 10:48 am

Stevmic wrote: Ultimately I would have loved an SRS but could no way justify the cost. Now I've got my explorer I'm more than happy with it.

Ditto!!
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow: