Layouts for stroke / heart problem victims

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Dinky

Layouts for stroke / heart problem victims

Post by Dinky » Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 am

Hi,

Our older boy Wilson had what we can only assume was a stroke/some sort of heart failure last night. We rushed him to vets to receive a steroid job and some a course of vivotonin, which he seems to be responding to quite nicely.

How would you change our layout?
He has some slight HLD and now a few wobbles (bless him), but besides this he was in the cupboard (exactly where he shouldn't have been!) this morning with the younger boys! So he still seems able.

I have seen some people using litter trays as shelves - so I will have to invest - does anyone know where I can get some which will fit a Tommy C3 82? I was just going to pop in to the local supermarket on the way home.

Is there any other word of wisdom?
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

AlienRat

Re: Layouts for stroke / heart problem victims

Post by AlienRat » Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 pm

If you have ramps, cover them with over the knee socks :) It really can help with climbing if he has bad legs. I also make sure that everything is easy to reach, like put a water bottle a bit lower, use a low sided dish for food, you can also hang a hammock low by the floor, or put a sort of cuddle cup in one corner as the use of his legs decreases.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy