John Hopewell Galvanised Clean out trays

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
acapae_wolf

Re: John Hopewell Galvanised Clean out trays

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 am

4" is really very shallow imo for a tray. 10cm to climb over is no bother in terms of going between levels - most cat litter trays (frequently used as shelves) are deeper than that!
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Lindsei

Post by Lindsei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:12 am

For 90 x 60cm & 10cm deep I was quoted £35 per tray, I'm going to keep searching
:dumbobaby: Rain - Powder Blue Doe, :dumbobaby: Willow - Husky Doe, :baby: Ratty - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck,
:baby: Tango - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck, :baby: Banksy - Agouti Berkshire Buck, :baby: Mr Jingles - Black Bershire Buck

Happy Hammocks

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 am

I am interested in having explorer trays too- if the price is reasonable. (Is the plan to bulk order- haven't read entire thread?)
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x

Lindsei

Post by Lindsei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 am

I've just spoken to a man that works for a metal works & he said that he has made galvanised trays for somebody else with Rats previously & that the Rats scratched at the galvanised coating & ingested it, then died from Zinc Oxide poisoning :o . Has anybody else heard of this? He said they can also be made from stainless steel which is safer & also won't rust, are there any other metals that the trays can be made from?
:dumbobaby: Rain - Powder Blue Doe, :dumbobaby: Willow - Husky Doe, :baby: Ratty - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck,
:baby: Tango - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck, :baby: Banksy - Agouti Berkshire Buck, :baby: Mr Jingles - Black Bershire Buck

Happy Hammocks

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:37 am

acapae_wolf wrote:4" is really very shallow imo for a tray. 10cm to climb over is no bother in terms of going between levels - most cat litter trays (frequently used as shelves) are deeper than that!
What depth would you say is ideal? I'm thinking 6" is a good depth (it also would be level with the first horizontal bar so would look better too :oops: ).
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:58 am

Jimi+Milo wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:4" is really very shallow imo for a tray. 10cm to climb over is no bother in terms of going between levels - most cat litter trays (frequently used as shelves) are deeper than that!
What depth would you say is ideal? I'm thinking 6" is a good depth (it also would be level with the first horizontal bar so would look better too :oops: ).
I can't really do inches, but google tells me 6" is about 15cm, which is good :D

For comparison, terenziani bases are about 8cm (I assume critters and duvals are similar) and ferplast, savic and marchioro bases are 12-15cm. I personally wouldn't want shallower base than the latter lot, because otherwise you can only viably put a relatively useless sprinkling of substrate in (unless you want it all over your floor), rather than any sort of meaningful depth. However in saying that, by "base" (rather than tray) I mean contained on the floor, and would include an actual tray and then something solid attached to the outside for a bit more height the same thing. Which, for some cages, is a lot cheaper than getting a purpose-made deeper tray.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

Lindsei

Post by Lindsei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:03 pm

I've just had a quote from a metal works near me for:

dimensions - 90cm x 60cm & 10cm deep -

If I order more than 10 - £24 each

If I order more than 20 - £18 each

Although the ones with the cut out will be a couple of pound more (something to do with it being more work)

if anyones interested please let me know :D

Happy Hammocks

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Lindsei wrote:I've just spoken to a man that works for a metal works & he said that he has made galvanised trays for somebody else with Rats previously & that the Rats scratched at the galvanised coating & ingested it, then died from Zinc Oxide poisoning :o . Has anybody else heard of this? He said they can also be made from stainless steel which is safer & also won't rust, are there any other metals that the trays can be made from?
I don't think that's very likely at all. As a result of use the galvanised coating can be scraped off, but the risk there is more to do with if your rats do big soaking puddles of pee and it can rust over time, than anything associated with the galvanised coating. I've never heard of such a story - chances are it was coincidence and either one of the people involved figured that cause/ effect was most likely.
*~~Beri~~*

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:
Jimi+Milo wrote:
I can't really do inches, but google tells me 6" is about 15cm, which is good :D

For comparison, terenziani bases are about 8cm (I assume critters and duvals are similar) and ferplast, savic and marchioro bases are 12-15cm. I personally wouldn't want shallower base than the latter lot, because otherwise you can only viably put a relatively useless sprinkling of substrate in (unless you want it all over your floor), rather than any sort of meaningful depth. However in saying that, by "base" (rather than tray) I mean contained on the floor, and would include an actual tray and then something solid attached to the outside for a bit more height the same thing. Which, for some cages, is a lot cheaper than getting a purpose-made deeper tray.
Yep it is 15cm :) . I've got a couple of other digging things in the cage so I do just want a deep base for the substrate and then give them a big digging box every now and then. I'm using a critter base at the moment and it is very shallow - just measured and its 7cm. I dont think an extra 3cm would be deep enough really as I currently have that completely full (yes I do have to hoover substrate off the surounding area regularly :lol: ).

The area is exactly 90 x 60, so having the tray the exact size may cause issues for getting it in and out. I may do a bit of hunting around myself as its 89 x 59 x 15 I want for it and it seems there are very few others that want it quite that deep.
Hannah

Lindsei

Post by Lindsei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Jimi+Milo if I manage to get enough orders to go ahead I can't see it being a problem if somebody wants slightly different measurements (& I'm sure the price would only change by a couple of pounds), I'd taken the measurements from this thread but I've just measured & mines the same so would need it slightly smaller & I would probably go for 15cm rim too.

I asked for the cut out size to be 20cm x 12cm.

I have found postage for £8 if anyone needed delivery

Happy Hammocks

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Lindsei wrote:Jimi+Milo if I manage to get enough orders to go ahead I can't see it being a problem if somebody wants slightly different measurements (& I'm sure the price would only change by a couple of pounds), I'd taken the measurements from this thread but I've just measured & mines the same so would need it slightly smaller & I would probably go for 15cm rim too.

I asked for the cut out size to be 20cm x 12cm.

I have found postage for £8 if anyone needed delivery
Oh thats fab, if I can get one that size I'd definitely want one :) .
Hannah

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:58 pm

I'd be interested in two (89 x 59 x 15) one with a cut out and one without... postage would definitely be needed :wink: :lol:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mupsy

Post by mupsy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:01 pm

The guy i contacted is still not replying to me..

Im going to make another visit soon and put my boot up his bum!
Methinks the galv' story is a load of tosh... pushing the more expensive stainless trays as a "safer" option :roll:
Essex Guinea Pig Rat and Rabbit Rescue.
Based in essex, aiming to rehabilitate and rehome all small furries in need.

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Lindsei - is your quote for stainless or galvanised trays? I have both here and would prefer to pay a little more for stainless.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

Lindsei

Post by Lindsei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

the quote is for galvanised steel

Stainless steel was quoted at £40 per tray :o

Happy Hammocks