Litter Tray

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
kingbuxton13

Litter Tray

Post by kingbuxton13 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:23 am

Are they worth while?

How difficult will it be to train a rat to use it?

I currently have no rats nor cage, im working on it?

Hannah&Lee

Re: Litter Tray

Post by Hannah&Lee » Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 am

Rats generally use one corner or area of the cage anyway, there quite clean in the sense that they will always go there to use the loo rather than going all over the cage.
If you use a litter tray in that area the chances are they will figure it out eventually, or being praised when you see them use it always helps!
I empty my litter tray every morning; it keeps the cage clean and smell free!
I also have a designated 'poo spoon' to scoop up the little poops that go astray and pop them back in the tray.
Mine figured it out by themselves but other take a little more encouragement, either way I think it’s worth it
x

Flox

Post by Flox » Thu May 19, 2011 11:17 am

Mine go everywhere, but they do use the tray for the most part, so I do find it helps if you're not too fussy :) to begin with, I wouldn't clean it totally but leave it a little smelly so they get the idea.

They're also fabulous places to sleep and guilt-trip your owner, so certainly worth it for that reason if nothing else!

weeble

Post by weeble » Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 pm

My boys refused to use the pottys as pottys. SO we decided to use it as a extra level
5 rats, 1 hamster, 1 mouse, 4 degus and fish tank
Please excuse my bad spelling in post's me Keyboard on laptop is trying not to die lol

wildthing

Post by wildthing » Thu May 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Mine have always used it relatively reliably, I would say 70% of poop is done in the tray. They wee in a different spot though.

It makes me smile that all rejected food gets dragged to the litter tray too, so they obviously grasp the concept of it being for waste :lol:
Wondering where the next nom is coming from - Rufus.

Mika, Bailey - Miss you my lovelies.

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 pm

I've never managed it. They will not have it at all. Won't even entertain the idea. I tried for over a year!

Will bring you a litter tray on Sunday - someone might as well use it.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

seekee

Post by seekee » Thu May 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Our two girls seemed to get the hang of it almost instantly, I was amazed. They practically trained themselves. Them being our first rats a couple of weeks ago, I just left their first week litter-tray-free to see if they had any 'corner preferences' and then stuck a small plastic tub in the corner they seemed to poop most in. I also happened to have a second tub, just a little smaller, that I placed on a higher level... just because - and, for some reason, this seems to be their urination tub. That one, at least, was completely unintentional, and, I'll admit, a bit of a double-edged sword. Still, it's easy to just give it a rinse every day or so.

So, I guess it depends on the rat! The girls happily use their poop tub for their business out in free range (I make sure to put it in the same corner every day so they know exactly where it is) and the majority in-cage too.

Well, not forgetting different numbers in different tubs. I've obviously got a fussy pair on my hands! :lol:
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

daffee

Post by daffee » Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Ours usually litter train themselves. The current three are very good and hardly ever go out of the trays :smileyrat:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Thu May 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Another vote for litter trays here. I use one in the cages of all the rescues who come here (except babies) and find that they mostly use them after a week or so. I don't even "find" where they usually go - the tray is always positioned in the back left corner. Of course, most of my litter trays must bear traces of smells from over the years. :roll:
Rat Out of Hell Rescue