Cage Recommendations Please?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Rattitude!
Location: London...ish, England, UK, British Isles, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System

Cage Recommendations Please?

Post by Rattitude! » Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm

I posted this before, but it got deleted when they reset the forum.

Hi all :D

I'm wondering if any of you would be kind enough to recommend a cage that you think would be suitable for me :)

Due to the way the walls are, the cage can't be wider than 75cms wide or 50cms deep. There are, however, no height restrictions (within reason! It could maybe be up to 200cms tall)

We'd like the cage to be as big as possible. It will be used to house two or three girlies at first, but we *might* consider getting a few more so if possible it would be great if it could hold about 5 rats comfortably.

We don't really have a budget. The cage will probably be the most expensive thing we ever buy for the rats (fingers crossed they don't need expensive veterinary treatment :confused: ) so we're willing to spend a lot in order to get a high quality cage that will last a long time. We'd prefer not to spend too much, £300 or under would be preferable, but if it's a little bit over that then it doesn't really matter.

I've looked through some of the cages that are available. A Terenziani Moore (or any Terenziani cage to be honest) would be absolutely perfect, but from what I gather they are hard to get hold of. A Ferplast Furet Plus would fit, but it doesn't look particularly tall :oops: Maybe that's just the angle that the photo was taken? The rat calculator says that it holds 4 rats, so it should be fine :confused: . A Fop Buddy Deluxe Would Fit too, but again it looks a bit small. I want to get the biggest cage possible! :D

Obviously bird cages/ anything else suitable would be fine too. :D Am I right in thinking that that maximum bar spacing is 14mm? I think I read that somewhere.

~ Rattitude! :smileyrat:
Four gorgeous girls that make my life complete:
Cookie and Cream ~ Netherland Dwarf Rabbits
Lucky and Priscilla ~ Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex Hybrid chickens.
Rats soon? Hopefully!

myzoo

Re: Cage Recommendations Please?

Post by myzoo » Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 pm

hi furet plus is good but its not that tall i have one with 3 small girls in and tbh think you could get somthing better i quite like the look of explorers or these look good nice and tall http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Liberta-Happy-Hou ... 45fa916372 .also critters are good and if your creative you can join a few together my freind once joined a critter 3 to a critter 2 .
but i think liberta cages are nice if i had enough dosh i would buy one .hope this was of some use to you :love:

Rattitude!
Location: London...ish, England, UK, British Isles, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System

Post by Rattitude! » Fri May 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply :D It's really helpful :D

I reallllllly like the look of the Liberta Explorer cage... but alas, it is too big :rollred: :( I could probably just about squeeze in a cage that is 77cms wide, but 80cms is out of the question :(

Are Critter cages the same as Terenziani cages? They look the same.

Actally, a Critter 3 would be absolutely PERFECT, especially as the stand is an optional extra. A lot cheaper than I expected, too. Thanks for that :D

~ Rattitude!
:smileyrat:
Rats soon? Hopefully!

Rattitude!

Post by Rattitude! » Fri May 20, 2011 9:07 pm

:lol: :lol: I almost had a heart attack there! I typed in the dimentions of the Critter 3 into the rat calculator, and it said that I can fit 85 rats in there! :lol: Little did I know that it was set to inches instead of cms! :lol:

~ Rattitude!
:smileyrat:
Rats soon? Hopefully!

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri May 20, 2011 9:13 pm

A lot of people don't like Critter cages. They rust easily, and are a nightmare to clean!

How about something like the cages on here ??

eta: Link
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

LondonBells

Post by LondonBells » Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Could you possibly consider getting 2 (or more! :D ) cages with the correct width x depth dimensions and making yourself a bit of a multi-story? If you're so inclined you could always DIY from scratch (and get precisely what you want that way :wink: ), but I think there are several cages - possibly some of the ferplast - that wouldn't take a vast amount of work to combine...
My knowledge of cages is pretty limited so this is just an idea.

Here 's some ideas for homemade cabinet style cages if it's a viable option for you.
Whisky & Gin (Whiskin)

katebux

Post by katebux » Sat May 21, 2011 3:34 pm

I've made a cage out of two furet plus cages. That would fit in your space, and they fit together really easily. I'm going to use it as a holiday cage for my six bucks. :)
Kate and the rats <3 )~
Dante :dumbo: Gabriel :dumbo: Ezio :smileyrat: Nico :smileyrat: and new babies Othello :baby: and Mercutio :baby:
:rainbow: Flopsy, Mopsy, Barbie, Phil, Lil,Tiffany, Bianca, Pixie, Daphne and Fiona

Reb70

Post by Reb70 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:21 pm

I like Critters!! They are just as easy to clean as other cages, and if you have chewers, they can't demolish these!!
Have you looked at the Abode, they are really good value for money, and look rather handsome, we love ours and wouldn't be without it!! :)
Rattie boys; Coastboat 'Giant 1 kg Ozzy' and his brorat Rambo, silly Mr.Figgles, & baby Kevin and Morris.

Rattitude!

Post by Rattitude! » Sat May 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Amzy wrote:A lot of people don't like Critter cages. They rust easily, and are a nightmare to clean!

What about them makes them hard to clean? Because you can't take the shelves out? Would more frequent cleaning + making sure that I dry the cage thoroughly after cleaning it reduce the rust problem? Thanks for the cage suggestions too, those are some really nice cages there :D Unfortunately I don't buy things from eBay anymore, but I'm sure you can get that cage elsewhere :D
LondonBells wrote:Could you possibly consider getting 2 (or more! :D ) cages with the correct width x depth dimensions and making yourself a bit of a multi-story? If you're so inclined you could always DIY from scratch (and get precisely what you want that way :wink: ), but I think there are several cages - possibly some of the ferplast - that wouldn't take a vast amount of work to combine...
My knowledge of cages is pretty limited so this is just an idea.

Here 's some ideas for homemade cabinet style cages if it's a viable option for you.
katebux wrote:I've made a cage out of two furet plus cages. That would fit in your space, and they fit together really easily. I'm going to use it as a holiday cage for my six bucks. :)

Unfortunately I am terrible at DIY :oops: But that would be a good option if I can't find something that I want. Thanks for the suggestion :D How would I connect them? I think the easiest way would be to drill holes in the side and then connect them both with tubes. How did you two do it?

I love that bookcase 'cage' :D I really like the Dapper Rat website too . They have some great toy ideas, and the 'Bad Rat Pledge' was hilarious!
Reb70 wrote:I like Critters!! They are just as easy to clean as other cages, and if you have chewers, they can't demolish these!!
Have you looked at the Abode, they are really good value for money, and look rather handsome, we love ours and wouldn't be without it!! :)
Good to hear that some people like them! If you don't mind me asking, where are the doors on it? It's a bit hard to see from the photos. How often do you clean it? Do you have a problem with rust? Sorry for all the questions :oops: .

The Abode cage looks really nice, but I think I'd rather get a Critter cage beccause they are a lot bigger :D

Again thanks everyone for your suggestions :D 'Tis much appreciated.
Rats soon? Hopefully!

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat May 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Rattitude! wrote:
Amzy wrote:A lot of people don't like Critter cages. They rust easily, and are a nightmare to clean!

What about them makes them hard to clean? Because you can't take the shelves out? Would more frequent cleaning + making sure that I dry the cage thoroughly after cleaning it reduce the rust problem? Thanks for the cage suggestions too, those are some really nice cages there :D Unfortunately I don't buy things from eBay anymore, but I'm sure you can get that cage elsewhere :D
Lots of threads on critter cages - just did a search and found these links

Link 1

link 2

Link 3

ETA: I would say that a Critter 3 alone isn't big enough to house 5 rats.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

katebux

Post by katebux » Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 pm

I've just put one on top of the other. The lid comes off and the base just sits on top, and I cut a hole in the base.
I haven't got a picture of mine, but I stole the idea from this thread see cherryrat333's post on page 4. Mine looks like that. :) No DIY skills required.
Kate and the rats <3 )~
Dante :dumbo: Gabriel :dumbo: Ezio :smileyrat: Nico :smileyrat: and new babies Othello :baby: and Mercutio :baby:
:rainbow: Flopsy, Mopsy, Barbie, Phil, Lil,Tiffany, Bianca, Pixie, Daphne and Fiona

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sat May 21, 2011 8:10 pm

If you like the look of the abode they do do the tower which is a bigger version. The critter is taller than the abode but it has a smaller footprint. I quite like my critters the only downside is(as most other flat packable cages) they do break over time and are not as sturdy. If you did get one you could plastike it to help prevent rusting.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Rattitude!

Post by Rattitude! » Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm

katebux wrote:I've just put one on top of the other. The lid comes off and the base just sits on top, and I cut a hole in the base.
I haven't got a picture of mine, but I stole the idea from this thread see cherryrat333's post on page 4. Mine looks like that. :) No DIY skills required.
That's a really nice cage :D It's a shame you haven't got a picture of yours. It looks a lot easier than I thought it would be.

cookielucylou wrote:If you like the look of the abode they do do the tower which is a bigger version. The critter is taller than the abode but it has a smaller footprint. I quite like my critters the only downside is(as most other flat packable cages) they do break over time and are not as sturdy. If you did get one you could plastike it to help prevent rusting.
Unfortunately the Abode Tower is both too wide and too long. It's a very nice cage though, thanks for the suggestion :D .I've read very mixed reviews about Critters, so I think I'll do more research before I buy one. It's great to know that there are some rat-friendly products out there that will protect the cage from rust.

I've also found this page , The Liberta Discoverer. The cage calculator says that it holds 7 rats, so that should be ample space for just two or three girls! :D Does anyone else have any opinions / experience with this cage?

ETA: Just found a thread about the Discoverer... apparently the bar spacing is too big for does :( ... Oh well back to the drawing board.
Rats soon? Hopefully!