Rat in the shed

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
kingbuxton13

Rat in the shed

Post by kingbuxton13 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:39 pm

I dont have rats, nor am I gettin them in the short term but, would rats be ok to live in a shed?

When I say shed, I have a brick built outhouse, gets pretty cold in the winter? Could you not buy a light to keep it warm?

Another drawback is that rats need to be able to see what is going on around them I believe?

Razcox

Re: Rat in the shed

Post by Razcox » Mon May 23, 2011 12:45 pm

I wouldnt feel happy keep rats in a shed, they like to be invloved in whats going on and being is the shed is shutting them out from your life. I know some breeders do because of numbers and things but thats a bit different then just a a pair of pet rats.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

weeble

Post by weeble » Mon May 23, 2011 1:04 pm

I would'nt feel happy to keep rat's in a shed. Rat's need company and also warmth as they are prone to colds and infections and a cold shed would not be the best way to get away from that.
5 rats, 1 hamster, 1 mouse, 4 degus and fish tank
Please excuse my bad spelling in post's me Keyboard on laptop is trying not to die lol

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

weeble wrote:I would'nt feel happy to keep rat's in a shed. Rat's need company and also warmth as they are prone to colds and infections and a cold shed would not be the best way to get away from that.
What if you could ensure it was heated?

Agree on the company thing, its a bit out of the way really.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Plenty of people keep rats in sheds or outhouses :D

In terms of heating, yep, you'll need some. I think oil heaters are popular because although initially expensive they are much safer to be left on unattended for lengths of time. Also better thermostats and timers usually. Also giving them plenty of bedding to make super nests with. Rats cope better with the cold than heat though, so making sure there is suitable ventilation etc. for the summer is another main consideration.

If there aren't any windows, I'd reccomend buying a UV light - again you can get those on timers so that they have regular portions of night/ day times. This is almost more important than the light for seeing (rats don't have that great eyesight) as it's what gives them a healthy general body clock (circadian rhythm).

It involves a lot more thinking, planning and money than having them in the main part of the house. And some people have very strong feelings about it (in either direction). However it's certainly doable if that's what your circumstances/ preferences dictate.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Lots of people keep their rats in sheds or garages (not just breeders either).

You'd have to ensure that it's completely insulated, watertight and that you have a method of heating it in the winter. Interaction-wise, I don't see the difference in someone keeping rats in a shed and checking on them a few times a day, and me checking on my rats in the rat room a few times a day - it's the same amount of interaction (though I do have a lot of rats to keep each other occupied).

ETA: Beri beat me.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon May 23, 2011 2:04 pm

weeble wrote:I would'nt feel happy to keep rat's in a shed. Rat's need company and also warmth as they are prone to colds and infections and a cold shed would not be the best way to get away from that.
Rats can't get colds they get respiratory infections which they do not get from the cold! :wink: My rats seem much healthier when I open the windows even in winter for a bit.

To the OP rats while do better in the cold than in the heat I would use a heater, is it insulated? People on this forum do have their rats in sheds, however they are fully insulated and have heaters.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:06 pm

A lot of people keep there rats in sheds or out buildings :D You would need to insulate it and maybe heat it a little in the winter.

If I had the money I would keep mine in a insulated shed and its healthier for them then being in a central heated house.

Alot of breeaders and even some rescues keep there in sheds :)

eta beri and siberiankiss beat me too! oooh and retrolemons!
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

funnykooky

Post by funnykooky » Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 pm

:D i wouldnt keep my rats in the shed i like mine in the house so i can keep an eye on them and see what mischief they get up to :lol: :lol:

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Very interesting.

Pretty much every reason for not getting Rats at the moment are because we cant have them in the house. This would possibly be a game changer for me.

How expensive are these heaters? What type would be best?

The shed (its a brick built outhouse) is fine in the summer, its just cold in the winter. It freezes over in fact.

Realistically is this something I could persue, and would a trusted rescue home allow me to do this.

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Mon May 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Not sure how a rescue would feel about them being kept in a shed outside, i know they can be a bit funny about rehoming animals that are to live outside that are more 'indoor pets'.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Small animal rescues (and indeed breeders) tend to be more concerned about the suitability of their environment and how you plan to look after them as a whole. Of course with any rehoming situation you'd have to present how you plan to do things well - but I wouldn't think it would be a barrier on its own :)

eta - I'm not personally sure about heaters, but I'm sure someone who knows will be along soon. There's also the search function - it's a topic that has come up before.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm

I would be quite happy to keep my rats in a shed, if I had a shed! There are a lot of people on here with absolutely lovely rat sheds / outhouses.

I don't see why a rescue would be concerned about it, as long as they're getting plenty of attention and the environment is suitable as a whole. Personally I would be happy to home to someone who was keeping their rats in a shed.
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:36 pm

The ONLY concern would be the heating aspect of it. I would buy a thermometer and get some sort of heater.

Apart from that im out of my depth a bit

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Summer wouldnt be a problem, went in there now, and its pretty warm to be honest. Winter would be the problem