Reusing Substrate

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
seekee

Reusing Substrate

Post by seekee » Sat May 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Having two girls in an SRS means that their waste is quite diluted, so to speak. They're mostly litter-trained, so the proportion of poop in the main cage to that in the litter trays is relatively minor. However, because a few select areas tend to need cleaning after a week, I've been doing the whole cage at once. (They've only recently moved into both sections, for a while they only lived in the top part.) I used Ecobed, which is great, but I tend to throw away a lot of 'clean' cardboard each week. Would it be inadvisable to try and recycle as much as possible for the next week's substrate? I currently have no efficient means of doing so, so without wanting to spend hours picking out clean pieces of cardboard, I'd probably be able to save 50-75%, and throw the rest along with poops/shells/bits of destroyed toys etc.

Basically, I was wondering if this was a bad idea? Money isn't super-tight, but I'd rather save where possible, and it's going to be very inconvenient to get another bale (at least, without spending a bunch) once this one runs out, hence wanting to stretch it as far as I can.
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

myzoo

Re: Reusing Substrate

Post by myzoo » Sat May 28, 2011 8:36 pm

:love: hi i cant see there been a prblem as long as u remove any soiled damp bits.iknow my self how much we waste and know some could be reused im just lazy nd find it easier to empty the whole tray you could use a cat litter scoop to kinda seive the poops out that have been flung into the clea stuff.
not sure what others think but i think its ok as long as its dry and clean another bonus would be you dont completley remove their smells so less marking after changes :love:

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 pm

I used to do this with my chinchillas - I didn't do a full clean-out each week. I cleaned the mucky bits each week and sometimes 'topped up' with clean substrate but only did a full clean-out every now and then. I always fully cleaned shelves and toys each week of course.

Have done this when I had only 2 rats in the bottom half of a Duetto too. Don't feel so guilty lol! :wink:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 29, 2011 12:42 am

I do this with 5/6 rats in a mini brio even - tiny floorspace :lol: Means I can give them really deep substrate without it costing loads lol. I do a full substrate removal maybe every 3 cleanouts? More because I scatterfeed and the husks build-up rather than relating to the substrate itself. I clean out from the doors and use the pan of a dustpan/ brush as a scoop.

You don't need to clean out each week either - I personally think that's overkill on its own! I do maybe every 10 days? When they need it pretty much, rather than a specific immovable time interval.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

daffee

Post by daffee » Sun May 29, 2011 8:17 am

Agreed, we only have 3 in our SRS and we only change the substrate every couple of weeks, depending on how dirty it gets.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

seekee

Post by seekee » Sun May 29, 2011 10:13 am

Coming from guinea pigs and hamsters (in smaller cages albeit) I'm used to a more strict cleaning regime, but I'll lengthen the intervals and re-use the substrate a load more. Thanks loads to everyone for replies!
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 pm

I clean out hamsters even less often than rats :lol: Never had piggies though!
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun May 29, 2011 1:50 pm

When I had less in my explorer I used to just clean out the dirty corner each week and do the rest every 2-3 weeks - I've still been known to do this with 14 in mine as they all use the same 2 corners if I need to clean inbetween or if I've run low on bedding.

Where are you buying your cardboard though? If you go to a local country store type place for farmers and such you can get cardboard horse bedding cheaply - I buy a 20kg bale and it costs me about £6. Just as dust-free as pricier ones (horses are prone to resp problems so their beddings tend to be very well dust extracted).
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 am

little_rat_lover wrote:Just as dust-free as pricier ones (horses are prone to resp problems so their beddings tend to be very well dust extracted).
Generally people buy online (still marketed at horses among other things!) due to lack of access to local places/ convenience rather than for brand names :wink:
*~~Beri~~*