What an eart do you give them instead of newspaper?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Diablo

What an eart do you give them instead of newspaper?

Post by Diablo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 pm

I've tried to avoid giving my girls newspaper because of the ink but they have a tend to dig under the carefresh and tear it up anyway, they aren't interested in pre shredded bedding. prefering to tear the stuff up themselves... sop what do you give them instead?
My pests Lola :smileyrat: Ezra :girly:
not forgotten: Menace :halo: Rogue :halo: Tiny :halo: Pixie :halo: Smudge :halo: Ruby :halo: Tallulah :halo: Pandora :halo:
http://tinytherat.blogspot.com/

Athena

Re: What an eart do you give them instead of newspaper?

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm

mine have cardboard squares (bed excel) as the main substrate then shredded paper as bedding and a paper based litter in the littler tray, they still change bedding, shred it finer and move it about etc etc but seem to like this. Maybe they are not so bothered because its warmer at the moment?
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Newspaper ink is fine :)
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi there...I agree with Siberiankiss. :D I used newspaper for years as a substrate and my ratties loved it. I layered the base with full sheets and then more shredded on top...Then the girls shred away in wild abandonment :D

The only down side to it as a substrate is that it has to be changed frequently. I now use Back-2-Nature and like it very much ! :D

...............They still have some newspaper in there to shred and a full toilet roll to shred too. :D
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 pm

newspaper ink is fine, but if you're worried, if you have a newspaper printing place anywhere near, give them a call and ask what they do with roll ends of unprinted paper and if you can have them - often they'll let you have some free
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Flox

Post by Flox » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:03 pm

siberiankiss wrote:Newspaper ink is fine :)
As an owner of three (occasionally) white rats I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. But they're all totally on your side with this one :D

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 am

I've got them on back to nature.... my main concern with newspaper ink is I've been keeping rats for some years and nearly every single one has had a tumour...now I've seen the print left on a shelf if its wet and surely them digesting this can't be good?? They like nesting because they still try to get at the newspaper I've got under the carefresh/ back to nature stuff but aren't interested in the allready shredded safe bedding...I wish a company would make 'safe' bedding in sheets for them to tear up!!
not forgotten: Menace :halo: Rogue :halo: Tiny :halo: Pixie :halo: Smudge :halo: Ruby :halo: Tallulah :halo: Pandora :halo:

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Some of my girls most favourite thing ever was ripping up newspaper - I used to put a layer under the substrate as well, which they used to love digging up and ripping pieces off :lol: I don't think they ever really ate any, so they wouldn't have been ingesting the ink in any case. I would imagine they would have to eat a lot of newspaper to do themselves any harm with the ink, even if it was toxic.

As far as I know all newspaper ink now is safe anyway.
Jenny x
Vandal :rainbow: Bandit :rainbow: Squeak :rainbow:

lil_monkeys

Post by lil_monkeys » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 pm

i have used newspaper for years now, its cheap easy and the only down side is their white patches are crystal white anymore but i dont even notice anymore. As far as i am aware the ink used is a natural non toxic substance so won't harm your ratties! 2 out of the 5 ratties i have had/have have had tumors but i don't think its down to the newpaper, i change their diet and have notice a massive change in the heath (for the better). :hearts:
:rainbow: PoorlyMc :rainbow: SkinnyMc

:love: MisChieve, Mini Mo and PrettyMc

Reb70

Post by Reb70 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 pm

I've always used newspaper too. My black and white hooded rat doesn't seem to get dirty from it, and they've not had any respy problems at all. :D
Rattie boys; Coastboat 'Giant 1 kg Ozzy' and his brorat Rambo, silly Mr.Figgles, & baby Kevin and Morris.

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:40 am

Hmm I'm trying them with plain brown parcel paper at the moment they seem to like that!

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 am

I know the general consensus is that news ink is fine. I still find it quite strong smelling after I shred it up and am still a bit reluctant to use it. Because, if I had to sleep with it right next to my nose for a few hours, it would give me a headache. So, for now, I'm using equal amounts of newspaper:fleece:tissues. Also, isn't the ink soya based which makes me wonder if it's a good thing for females to sleep and wet themselves in newspaper?
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:46 am

I don't know but I'm not convinced that when they tear the paper they aren't ingesting in some way and I'm sure that can't be good for them.... I'm sure there is no link between them chewing newspaper and getting tumours (I know it's just one of those things they are prone to especially girls) all the same I'd rather use something else...even if they are determined to get at the newspaper under the substrate :roll:

Rootigger

Post by Rootigger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm

I have three white rats and have always lined their cage trays with newspaper (with a substrate on top, currently shredded teabag offcuts) - I've never had any trouble with them getting inky. I also rip it into ribbons for them to use as bedding and they love it. They don't tend to chew it much, although do occasionally decide to rip up the flooring.

One alternative you could try is flipchart paper, I've used that a few times (filched from the office!) and it's quite a good lining. Also they LOVE kitchen towels for nesting, which are obviously very absorbent! The best lining for beds/nests I find is Vetbed (with a layer of paper underneath).
:hearts: Owned by Daisy, Sweetpea, Teasel and Willow :girly:
Never forgetting Lily and Clover :rainbow:

Claratrix

Post by Claratrix » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Tried a bit of internet digging, US newsprint is soy-based, couldn't get a definitive answer for the UK.
I guess best answer is give them an alternative if you're worried. My boys just love tearing up paper, but they don't eat it. I line the cage with newspaper which gets ripped up and moved about, use Back 2 Nature in the litter tray (which gets flicked everywhere when digging) and I buy Pets at Home paper bedding to line everything.
Rats do live very short lives and are prone to tumours anyway, I wouldn't think that newspapers would represent a significant risk.
Maurice, Franklin, Albert and Brian.