SRS opinions

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
burninglight

SRS opinions

Post by burninglight » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:08 am

I've been checking out the SRS for a few months now trying to decide if it's a good investment or not. At the moment I can't afford it, but considering saving my pennies for when equinecaninefeline get it back in stock.

As it stands at the moment I have 3 girls in an abode - not sure if the SRS might be a big huuuuuge for them?

In the future I'd like to get bucks again, but I never have more than 3-4 rats at a time - so an abode is plenty big enough for my needs, I just like the fact that the SRS front opens completely.

I was just looking on opinions, do we love it/hate it, is it a waste of money for my little group, would the extra space get them running about more, should I be saving my money for some other rattie treat? And any other points....

seekee

Re: SRS opinions

Post by seekee » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 am

As someone who has 2 girls in an SRS, I wouldn't say that the space is /too/ big - sure, you're gonna want more to fill it up, and they're going to be dwarfed by it, but if you're going to cage an animal then you might as well give them as much room as possible, right? Me and the OH never intend to get more than ~5, but we bought an SRS anyway, mostly for the above reason. (Who knows what GMR might do to us... the OH has always been the stricter of us re: getting rats, but I took him to the Birmingham show and GMR hit him very, very hard :lol: ) I've read that some rats don't seem to use the full space, which is something to be wary of I suppose, but I think so long as you make both halves appealing in different ways then you're in for a good chance of that not happening. We have it set up with sleep, food & drink in the top, with play things in the bottom, and they spend plenty of time in both. (Slaanesh spends a bit too much time in the top half, though!) Plus, I think it's a good-looking cage, fits perfectly in my living room, the quality is brilliant, and it's pretty breezy to clean. My only complain would be that I don't feel I have enough stuff to fill it with! But oh well, I'm slowly accumulating stuff - I've only been at this rat thing for a month or so anyway :lol:

As for the money, I paid ~£224 for a brand new one, and don't have any regrets at all. I always decided that I'd rather pay a large sum up-front to set the girls up comfortably, so it wasn't a problem for me.
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

AnnieD

Post by AnnieD » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm

I have 4 rats in mine. I've had it about 6 weeks now. Easy reach to clean for the humans and space galore for the ratties. As said in the earlier post, my rats do frequent the lower half but prefer the top. Penthouse suite I suppose!!
Anne
Tag, Che, Hachi, Toby & JJ :love:

:rainbow: Teeko now playing at the bridge xxx

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:18 pm

You might want to price-check with Zooplus - sometimes they have offers which makes it the cheapest place to buy from.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Amazon sometimes have offers on it too, I'm sure it wasn't much more than £200 there recently. My dream cage. I have one, and would love love another!!
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:38 pm

MistressSadako wrote:Amazon sometimes have offers on it too, I'm sure it wasn't much more than £200 there recently. My dream cage. I have one, and would love love another!!
It's my next potential upgrade although I want to see it in the flesh before deciding to trade my Explorer in for one as some people still insist the explorer is better although I'm aware that you are not one of those.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I didn't know Amazon sold them! :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 pm

I think tabi got at least one of hers from there, they delivered one the next day too, I'm sure...
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Actually, that rings a bell lol. I wonder if my brain is reappearing :lol:
*~~Beri~~*

seekee

Post by seekee » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:08 pm

I actually ordered mine from Amazon at first, but it got delayed and all sorts of difficulties were had (they estimated delivery for about a month after I was due to get my girls!), so I went to Berriewood instead because they could guarantee delivery by a certain date - they price matched it for me too. Of course, then I had trouble with couriers, but that's getting slightly off topic :-? :P
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I check amazon and zooplus regularly, at the moment they aren't as cheap as ecf but they do alternate so will be sure to check before I actually order one. Also keeping my eyes open for a 2nd hand one.

If I don't have something to save for I end uo wasting my money - so may start working towards this for my girls. They are still young so I'm sure would make good use of the space.

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Zooplus do a 5% off offer for new customers. I don't know if the 10% off code here works either:
http://www.codes.co.uk/store-voucher-codes.aspx?MID=94
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 pm

I loff my SRS - it was my first cage, for my 2 boys, and they loved the space. I find it really easy to upkeep, and it's very sturdy.
Ratty_Rhian wrote: It's my next potential upgrade although I want to see it in the flesh before deciding to trade my Explorer in for one as some people still insist the explorer is better although I'm aware that you are not one of those.
you have seen one - mine! Admittedly, there was some rat rescuing going on at the time which may have distracted you :wink: , but you're welcome to pop over for another look, if you ever want...
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Helzie wrote:I loff my SRS - it was my first cage, for my 2 boys, and they loved the space. I find it really easy to upkeep, and it's very sturdy.
Ratty_Rhian wrote: It's my next potential upgrade although I want to see it in the flesh before deciding to trade my Explorer in for one as some people still insist the explorer is better although I'm aware that you are not one of those.
you have seen one - mine! Admittedly, there was some rat rescuing going on at the time which may have distracted you :wink: , but you're welcome to pop over for another look, if you ever want...
I meant the new type :oops: . I did have a good look at yours and liked what I saw but want to see the new type. Not looking for another cage for at least 2 years but it's always nice to window shop :lol:
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Toribob

Post by Toribob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 am

I love my SRS, as do my three boys. They do use all of the cage. It so easy to get to them now, and they seem to love hanging off the doors when they're being opened!! Which makes me nervous.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that the substrate from the top half ends up everywhere!

Got mine from Berriewood for £231 including delivery, which was cheapest price at time.