Cage upgrade = more rats= help!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Mini-moon

Cage upgrade = more rats= help!

Post by Mini-moon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi guys,

Ive been looking to upgrade my rat pack of 3 boys in to a bigger cage for a while, however ive now been persuaded in to adopting two baby brothers and id like to house them all together as space is limited. (They are kept in our spare room where we dry our laundry as i cant sleep with them in my room.) Im not going to introduce the babies for a while yet as;
A) Theyre really tiny and would easily fit through most bars on larger cages and
B) I figure its a good idea to keep them in my spare cage next to my other 3 for a while as opposed to just chucking them in straight away (I will do regular introductions on my bed etc. up until then)

However, im unsure what cage to upgrade to. At the moment theyre in this rabbit/guinea pig cage: http://www.petptt.com/rabbit/html/164.html
I have loadsa stuff, a hammock, ladder, branches, boxes and things hung up for them to play with and i take the green level out from time to time to mix things up a bit.
I have the cage sat on an old dressing table so it comes to waist height and also i keep all theyre stuff in drawers etc. If i can find a big enough cage for 5 that could comfortably fit on a desk that'd be fab or any other suggestions would be great!

Cheers!
Meesh xx :girly:
Meesh and the ratty-lumps: Marley, Salem, Calvin, Hoodsey and Syd

Mini-moon

Re: Cage upgrade = more rats= help!

Post by Mini-moon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:02 pm

p.s- I was thinking of something like this to sit on top of my desk: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/jenny-ra ... last-15949

But went to pets at home today and it says only suitable for four rats..
Anything similar to this sort of design/shape but maybe on three layers? I like the explorer but im not ure if my housemates would be so happy about that is its pretty massive!! (obviously great for the rats, so this is still an option if i dont come across something else.)

xx

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 pm

First of all I don't think the cage you have at the moment is suitable for rats, it's not high enough, rats like to climb, and it isn't big enough to fill it with interesting things for them.

I would recommend the Abode, fits up to 6 rats and is a good cage. There's 2 for sale in the Market Place at the mo. You can put 5 in the Jenny but it's not really ideal in my opinion.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Mini-moon

Post by Mini-moon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks,

I know its not ideal hence why im getting a bigger, better cage. This was only a temporary measure. Ive looked at the abode and only thing im not so keen on is the wire platforms not being easy on their feet. But i can always get some plastic sheeting or something to go over the top i spose.
Meesh

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm

I'd second the abode, its a really good bucks cage, the bar spacing is still a little big for tiny babies, but I've found good sized breeder or rescue buck babies are fine. You may want to make a deeper tray out of corregated plastic or perspex as its downside is the shallow tray. You should pick it up for cheaper than a Jenny too. If you use some correx you can cover the shelves too. Cabling or thick fleece also work well

You could keep 5 bucks in a Jenny though, just need to fit it out well so they can move around well, its nice to have a bit more room though. Just make sure to get the Jenny kd as the old style Jenny has a lot of flaws
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Mini-moon

Opinions please?

Post by Mini-moon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Is this cage
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RAT-CHINCHILL ... 1e5e0991be
suitable for 5 bucks?

I have 3 9-month boys and soon to introduce two one month olds :baby: when big enough!

Cheers!
Meesh xx

Note: thread merged with your existing one on the same topic.

Mini-moon

Post by Mini-moon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:16 pm

How about this cage : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RAT-CHINCHILL ... 1e5e0991be

for 5 bucks?

:halo: Cheers!

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Mini-moon wrote:How about this cage : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RAT-CHINCHILL ... 1e5e0991be

for 5 bucks?

If you look at the liberta site here http://www.libertauk.com/catalogue/Rode ... Cages.html it says that the bar spacing is 20-25mm which is quite large. It would only be suitable for large bucks so you would need to be careful.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Mini-moon wrote:How about this cage : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RAT-CHINCHILL ... 1e5e0991be

for 5 bucks?

The cage calculator (http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... alculator/) says 5, however the bars are rather wide so you'd have to wait a while until they could go in it.
For a similar price there is the Samo 82:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXTRA-LARGE-CAGE- ... 3a66bb6e7b
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: Opinions please?

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 pm

The bar spacing is a bit wide - 1 inch. i have one and i had to cover the bars in chicken wire - it's a really pain in the bum bum!
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Opinions please?

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:43 pm

The cage calculator comes up with 4 rats for those dimensions. There are similar cages which are bigger, but the bar spacing is wide, probably too wide for baby boys (btw, I'm hoping they are going to be closer to two months old than one month?).

ETA - I mistyped the dimensions as 68 x 45 x 92cm, replacing the 45 with 46 takes it up to 5 rats, so ignore my first comment! :lol:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Mini-moon

Post by Mini-moon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey, yes they will be at least two months when i house them together. They are a month old now.. when i get them ill keep them in a seperate cage so grown on a bit and do regular introductions on my bed. Im thinking maybe out of the jenny KD cage, tom cage or ferplast furet XL.. not sure if anyone has any experience in these cages..

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Mini-moon wrote:Hey, yes they will be at least two months when i house them together. They are a month old now.. when i get them ill keep them in a seperate cage so grown on a bit and do regular introductions on my bed. Im thinking maybe out of the jenny KD cage, tom cage or ferplast furet XL.. not sure if anyone has any experience in these cages..
I have both the Tom and Furet XL as spare cages :oops: . The Tom is a great cage which when kitted out is just about ok for 5 rats in my opinion. However I personally only feel comfortable with a maximum of 3 in mine but i like to give my rats as much space as I can. The xL is fab as it's quite big. Easily big enough for 5. I find the access ok but if you are a larger person with short arms you may find it a struggle to reach everywhere.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Eddy's mum

Post by Eddy's mum » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I had my 4 boys in a Jenny and they were quite happy with it - though I did add extra shelving for them. I would say the access is not great - I think only suitable for rats that want to come out easily. I have since bough the ferplast furet tower - which I initially found impractical to be honest - as it was on 2 levels and very heavy. However with some alterations its possible to have both sections connected side by side instead of one on top - the space is huge and they totally love it and I'm sure you could have 10 rats or so - tho haven't actually worked it out but the dimensions are 2mx1mx1m. But seriously only get this cage if you lots of space. :smileyrat:
Ratties: Mr. Julian Moon, Sebastian, Tirian & Tarly Tinker :love:
RIP: Bogey & Beany, Boris & Sergei, Eddy, Molly :rainbow:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:44 pm

There was an Abode for sale in Bristol in the market place :) You could look at pictures of people's set ups here for the Abode and there are threads with loads of cages here =]

P.s. I'm the Amy from facebook :wink:

x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts: