Cage upgrade

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Benny1

Re: Cage upgrade

Post by Benny1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:47 pm

I checked the cage calculator and it says it fits 4 :-?

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 pm

A cage is only as useful as as the cage calc states if its kitted out properly making use of the space, how much free range time they get and how well bonded a group are.

I currently have 3 fosters in a furet plus with a fair few accessories and it is fine. They are a well bonded group, and get regular out time.

I currently also have 5 in a freddy - oldies - but still are a well bonded group. There are at least 5 sleepy places in that group, and its full also due to the fact they also need simple furnature to get around easily.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 pm

It would fit four :) it's a good cage, easy to clean, easy access :) I personally think rats do better in smaller cages than big cages, especially with boys :)

Looks at her freddy with 17 does in :roll:
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Do you think I should bid for it ??

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm

nikki123 wrote:
Looks at her freddy with 17 does in :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm

It's up to you in the end no one can tell you want to do :)

Yup they can stay in there until they love each other!
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:04 pm

They already love each ...I think lol :lol: :lol: :lol: If it was you would u buy it ??

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Maybe it's because I have four boys living in an SRS.
I had two foster boys in a Furet Plus and it seemed a bit small to me.
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Sarah_B wrote:Maybe it's because I have four boys living in an SRS.
I had two foster boys in a Furet Plus and it seemed a bit small to me.
No I agree! I don't like the cage much in terms of size and wouldn't go above two :D
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 pm

I know the Furet Plus is supposed to hold 4 but I've seen one with 4 in and one with 2 in and even the 2 looked cramped. The 4 just looked fed up tbh. At the end of the day it's people can only do what they feel comfortable with. I don't like the Furet Plus, it's flimsy, and probably holiday cage standard. It *could* be doable if it was kitted out with ropes and perches and no shelves, but it really is a tiny cage. For cages that hold under 6 I like to half what the cage calculator says as I like rats to have enough space - but this could be my own guilt over the care I give my rats.

If you think you can enrich it, then go for it, no one can tell you what cage to buy. It's better than the plasticy cage of horrors from that other eBay listing, that's for sure! :lol:
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm

I find my rats do better in a smaller space especially my boys, they tend to fight if there too much room :roll:

It's really up to you but its cheap so can be used as a space or holiday cage anyway so would bid but don't go to much over what it's going for now :)

Maybe look at the abode?
Nikki x

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:16 pm

nikki123 wrote:
It's really up to you but its cheap so can be used as a space or holiday cage anyway so would bid but don't go to much over what it's going for now :)
You could also get 2 and make a tower. Cut a hole in one of the bases and sit it on the other and the wire bit on top of it again... If i make sense :roll:

ETA: I set up a furet plus before and it had a wine rack, ropes, hammocks, perches and a sputnik. I don't have a pic but it can be set up adequately

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm

I must add the 17 in a freddy is for intro's! They are not permanently in there!
Last edited by nikki123 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki x

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 pm

nikki123 wrote:I find my rats do better in a smaller space especially my boys, they tend to fight if there too much room :roll:

Maybe look at the abode?
I was going to mention the Abode! I loved mine :)
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!

beff_face

Post by beff_face » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 pm

I have three boys in a Ferplast Jenny... that can comfortably house 5 so three should be more than happy in there?

Both the original Jenny and Jenny KD you can get pretty cheap if you look on eBay or something, though I would recommend the KD for the bigger doors!
Beth
:love: Milo :love: Remy :love: Oliver Twist