Are branches safe???

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Eddy's mum

Are branches safe???

Post by Eddy's mum » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Can anyone help me please? I've recently upgraded to a much bigger cage and thought I'd like to put some wooden branches in there for the boys to climb over. The local pet shop has this kind of thing for sale but they are about £25 per branch, and as they wee on everything (the rats not the pet shop!), I figure I'll have to chuck it after a while, so seems like a lot of money for a temporary fixture. So I've got some branches drying in my car that I just collected from the local cemetery.

They'd fit in the cage well, and I think the outside smells would interest the boys. BUT I'm worried about diseases, like weils, or something. :sickrat: Does anyone know if its safe to let your rats come into contact with things from the great outdoors? I wonder how long anything catching can live on wood for? :???:

Any ideas greatly received!
Ratties: Mr. Julian Moon, Sebastian, Tirian & Tarly Tinker :love:
RIP: Bogey & Beany, Boris & Sergei, Eddy, Molly :rainbow:

redrach

Re: Are branches safe???

Post by redrach » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Iuse sticks from outside. I just give them a wash in hot water and make sure there's nothing harmful n them.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

RachienJQ

Post by RachienJQ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi there,

Seeking advice from the best person I know, my Hubster. He is a Zoo keeper and they use resources around their zoo for their animals including their rats. I suppose there is a risk with most everything we use but I think that if you can be sure they haven't been peed on by dogs passing by they are great to use in your cage. It is great for enrichment because you can replace and redecorate free of charge. Be sure to secure them and I think you'll be fine.

:hearts: :smileyrat: :dumbo: :hearts:
Pot and the Plough, best ratties alive

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:26 am

/My boys have some parrot perches, some java branches & also some branches from trees in my aunty's garden. I research the trees before I use them tho cuz I'm a worrier
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:47 am

Generally aiming for fruit tree branches or slow growing nut tree branches is a good idea. Avoid anything with none edible leaves or fruit. Give them a good scrub with hot water and then maybe with an antibacterial and leave them inside for a few days to a week to dry out. This should minimise the risk.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:10 am

msmara wrote:/My boys have some parrot perches, some java branches & also some branches from trees in my aunty's garden. I research the trees before I use them tho cuz I'm a worrier
sorry my message was so short i was rushing out. if you google animal safe trees there's a brilliant list & it explains why some are safer than others. silver berch for example comes up on all the safe lists, for parrots, mammals etc.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Eddy's mum

Post by Eddy's mum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Great thanks for those bits of advice. I've dried a few branches out, and given them a clean, and the boys are enjoying running over them and having a good nibble! :) Great to find a CHEAP cage accessory!
Ratties: Mr. Julian Moon, Sebastian, Tirian & Tarly Tinker :love:
RIP: Bogey & Beany, Boris & Sergei, Eddy, Molly :rainbow: