Plastikote or Japlac spray and where to buy?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
racingrat

Plastikote or Japlac spray and where to buy?

Post by racingrat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 pm

I`ve posted this in Other Chat rather than Environment as it`s more of a DIY question. - Note: moved because cage modifications are covered in Habitat

I have a barred lid to a gabber LUX plastic tank that is a spare cage for clean-outs, but the barred lid has rusted up due to age and I wanted to give it a new lease of life and wondered which spray paint is the best, Japlac or Plastikote to use on metal?

I just want a gloss black finish but since i`ve never bought this type of paint befoe, I wondered whether you guys had used either of the two and what you thought of it? Where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy the sprays? I know B&Q and Focus sell Plastikote so I could always pop along to one of these stores if need be.
Of all the people I have known-he was the most...human. (In Loving Memory of Winston)

ratfan70

Re: Plastikote or Japlac spray and where to buy?

Post by ratfan70 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I think wilkensons do the spray cans and the little jars, not sure on the price but i would think they would be a bit cheaper than B&Q.
Not much help really but i tried!! :oops:
mum/slave to Casper, Rico, Todd, Pepper, Louis, Riley, Cosmo, Alfie & Loki.

Missing my little ones at the bridge: Ziggy, Snowy, Buddy, Rocky & Diesel. RIP Boys!

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:08 pm

wilkinsons for plastikote, otherwise most DIY shops, make sure you get the 'project paint' or any that say safe for toys on the back
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

racingrat

Post by racingrat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks guys. There is`nt a Wilkinsons near me just Poundland an Poundstretchers. :roll: But I do have the DIY chains I suppose. Thanks for the tip Athena about it saying `project paint` as I was`nt aware that it might be harmful? Do they do child safe and other non-safe sprays then? Obviously I did`nt think too much about how safe it might be as many people have used it on barred cages and such like wooden shelving and toys. I just presumed it would be safe to use?
Of all the people I have known-he was the most...human. (In Loving Memory of Winston)

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 pm

I think they do different types for different uses. For it to be rat safe it must say for use on toys (meaning if a child puts it in their mouth it wont be toxic - once dry of course!) if it doesnt mention toys dont waste your money. Also the paint on stuff goes further buttakes a lot longer, another tip is go gently with it, put too much on you get drips, better to do two thin coats than one messy drippy big one! :lol:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance

racingrat

Post by racingrat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks very much Athena. I will read the can and make sure it states that it`s safe for toys or children. :)

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 pm

i HATE that im becoming a plastikote pro. must stop aquiring project cages..... :lol: