Whats the worst second hand cage you've ever seen?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
ErnieG!

Whats the worst second hand cage you've ever seen?

Post by ErnieG! » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am

Well, a while ago, about a year I some how ended up with three jennys, I kept the nicest (well, as nice as you can get them) one for myself, and gave one to my friend and one to rescue.
My friends rat has just passed and had no reason to keep the cage so gave it back to me today, when I got it originally, it had no coating but I gave it to them in the best condition I could, needless to say I've just taken the screws out the shelves and there is kibble crumbs, poo and a mass load of hair :o
It was cleaned before giving it back to me, but they have been using critter litter and the litter tray is covered with it. I used to use it but found it wayy to expensive and not at all effective. I'm just taking a break now because its stinks and the toothbrush is now covered in rust and general dirt, I've never seen anything so disgusting, and I've taken a fair few cages off peoples hands..
It's a good job I know the best way to clean all this :lol:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Hannah&Lee

Re: Whats the worst second hand cage you've ever seen?

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:12 pm

I collected a critter 3 yesterday and it still had used (god knows how old) litter in the bottom with poop and fluff bleagh!
It really honked, had all the windows down in the car to get it home!
I used 5 buckets of water to clean it as it kept turning the brush a mucky brown orange colour!
Anyway it super clean now lol took me an hour, the worst thing was the brush kept flicking all the crud at my face eeegh!
And when I collected my Jenny that was revolting aswell!
I really hate it when you buy second hand cages and people havent even bothered to clean them it REALLY annoys me!
x

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 pm

I can imagine that critter was a pain!!
It's so rude!

I'm cleaning all the nooks with my toothbrush and it keeps flinging the dirt in my face too :roll: and all over my walls, and bed!

shaycos

Post by shaycos » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Think the one that always annoys me is when people try flogging hamster/mouse cages for rats, chipmunks etc. Notice some on-line new sellers do that too. Have been offered one so called rat cage (in reality mouse) with hole in bottom and bit of loose wood over it, it was apparently all right if you kept the wood over but you may need to keep jiggling it back. Wouldn't have been so bad but they wanted £5 for it.

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:19 pm

I win.

When I was about 17 I went to pick up a second hand Critter 3 that was advertised in the Loot.

I got there and the cage was outside, and there was a dead chinchilla in the bottom of it.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

lynz

Post by lynz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:23 pm

my jenny was nice and shiny when the guy dropped it off, even if it did smell a bit ferret-y! i also recently bought a 2nd hand furet xl on ebay, it was clean when it arrived although the seller didnt tell me it had odd spots of rust on the bars, which i would have liked to have been told about beforehand.

i recently sold my explorer and they day of collection changed last minute! i got up at 8am the next morning, took my girls out of it and started scrubbing for it to be collected at 12! i would have been very embarresed to sell a dirty cage!!
bruce & his 2 bros! nibbles, pebbles, lola

sleep tight mummy rat 9/11/10, Bailey 9/12/10, Missy 28/1/11, Bob 31/1/11, Izzy 9/2/11, Dinky 7/3/11, Tink 13/6/11, Kizkiz 2/7/11
rip skitz, tumshie, dumbo, tubs, chino, oz's and all my childhood ratties

lynz

Post by lynz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 pm

siberiankiss wrote:I win.

When I was about 17 I went to pick up a second hand Critter 3 that was advertised in the Loot.

I got there and the cage was outside, and there was a dead chinchilla in the bottom of it.
:o
bruce & his 2 bros! nibbles, pebbles, lola

sleep tight mummy rat 9/11/10, Bailey 9/12/10, Missy 28/1/11, Bob 31/1/11, Izzy 9/2/11, Dinky 7/3/11, Tink 13/6/11, Kizkiz 2/7/11
rip skitz, tumshie, dumbo, tubs, chino, oz's and all my childhood ratties

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 pm

That couldn't have been nice to see.

Edited because I didn't think what I said was appropriate :oops:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:41 pm

No words.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 pm

RetroLemons wrote:

No words.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

RetroLemons wrote:

No words.
Ditto :o
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:59 am

Eep, dead animals in cages isn't nice :(

Not dirty (now), just rusty. Very very rusty...
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:16 am

I'm guessing rescues will have the worst stories here as we frequently get rats and other animals handed in at the rescue I volunteer at that have obviously not been cleaned out in weeks. If it was me, I'd make sure I handed my animals in at least a clean state if nothing else. Doesn't hurt to give the cage a quick scrub and line it with newspaper temporarily if you've not got the money or inclination to buy proper bedding.

I think the worst cage as far as cages (not cleanliness go) was when I collected from freecycle a cge described as "very large cage suitable for guinea pigs, chinchillas, hamsters etc". I was intrigued so went and collected it. It was one of these http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/westminster ... googlebase . The people said their chinchilla in it and commented how lovely and spacious it was :o
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

wicked-jester

Post by wicked-jester » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:I'm guessing rescues will have the worst stories here as we frequently get rats and other animals handed in at the rescue I volunteer at that have obviously not been cleaned out in weeks. If it was me, I'd make sure I handed my animals in at least a clean state if nothing else. Doesn't hurt to give the cage a quick scrub and line it with newspaper temporarily if you've not got the money or inclination to buy proper bedding.

I think the worst cage as far as cages (not cleanliness go) was when I collected from freecycle a cge described as "very large cage suitable for guinea pigs, chinchillas, hamsters etc". I was intrigued so went and collected it. It was one of these http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/westminster ... googlebase . The people said their chinchilla in it and commented how lovely and spacious it was :o

Same, I ended up as the cage scrubber so I didnt have to go near the horses. One sticks out in my mind, a chinchilla cage. The sawdust was dark and came out in one horrid lump as it was hard and stuck together. The cage bars and ledges were far worse, was scrubbing off thick hairy brown gunge.

And yes, the cage was spacious because the chinchilla was wedged in one of the random stupidly designed roof bits :o

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:35 pm

A critter 3 that someone brought with their rats that i was taking in.
I could smell it before they opened the boot of the car. :sickrat: I politely refused it.