How to make cage/free range as fun as possible?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
babytarragon

How to make cage/free range as fun as possible?

Post by babytarragon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:46 pm

I think my boys are bored.

I put a tail-safe wheel in their cage, and two weeks on they are still ignoring it. So I'd love suggestions for entertainment for them that doesn't involve any intelligence!!

Their free range area is unfortunately very small- I'm using the spare bed as they can be stopped easily before they escape. Really I'd like things they can clamber on upwards since space is so limited.

The other issue is that they still don't like me at all. They are between three and four months old pet shop rats. They bite me and run away a lot... So at the moment, I can't play with them- I need things they can play by themselves until I can get them to trust me.

I make them a kitchen towel pinata everyday, which they seem to like.

Thanks in advance :)
Kanda & Mejiro - hoodie dumbo boys
Nagatacho & Osaki - siamese dumbo boys

Amzy

Re: How to make cage/free range as fun as possible?

Post by Amzy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Hiya,

Have you read through this thread?. Its got ideas about cheap toys on =]

This page also has lots of ideas re: toys on it to!

Do you sit with them when they are on your bed? It means that they could come and investigate you rather than you go to them which may be less daunting?

x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

babytarragon

Post by babytarragon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:07 pm

They tend to hide on me rather than explore when free ranging, so I'm trying to let them get on with it a little more!

Thanks for the link, there's many fab ideas there!

Toribob

Post by Toribob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:03 pm

I bought some very light plastic balls from poundland, and put them in an unused litter tray, then sprinkle frozen peas / sweetcorn around the balls. My boys seem to love digging around in the balls to find their food. One of mine also love playing with a little cat ball with me.

babytarragon

Post by babytarragon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Toribob wrote:I bought some very light plastic balls from poundland, and put them in an unused litter tray, then sprinkle frozen peas / sweetcorn around the balls. My boys seem to love digging around in the balls to find their food. One of mine also love playing with a little cat ball with me.
great suggestion, sounds easy to put together :)