Project Duetto [immense cage restoration] *img heavy*

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
acapae_wolf

Project Duetto [immense cage restoration] *img heavy*

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

I have until the 10th to bring my new-to-me (but really rather old and knackered) duetto back mostly into working condition. That is when we're taking furniture inc. cages up to where I'll be living from the end of the summer :D I only got the cage on Monday evening though, and there's a lot of work to be done, so it's a bit of a challenge! So I thought I'd make a thread on here as a bit of an incentive, for people to prod me to get on with it, and who knows, might be of some help to other people. I figure I'm probably going to have quite a few questions, so keeping everything in one place is a good idea too.

Broadly the issues are:
* Rusty trays - all 4 of them to varying degrees.
A selection of photos

* Rusty cage and bars - particularly either where the metal isn't flat or where the bars join at the apex (for exta difficulty).
Another selection

Worst panel

* 2 out of the 4 legs (so 4 individual feet) not being complete - so can't attach wheels and it's not level at the minute anyway.
(I don't have a photo of the worst one, yet!)

* Rusty corner metal thingies. One of them is much shorter than the others too and a bit mangled (was on the side of the worst leg). Previously it had been still attached to one of the metal sides it had been on, but I managed to slowly prize it off on Tuesday lol.

So far all I've managed to do is to remove most of the rust from 1 galvanised and 1 coated tray. Oh, and wire brushed my hand, that was painful :oops:
Shiny!

Well, kind of

Removing all of the rust is a bit tricky because you can't really use a wire brush properly in a 3D corner, and only adequately from the inside rim (and obviously not the corner of the rim). I'm probably going to go on an expedition to try and get some Hammerite tomorrow. I know that the paint isn't child/ animal safe in itself, but I'm assuming the gel is ok to use since you have to remove it before paint anyway. I can't find any mention of in on here though...

Some of the panels where the paint has come off, rather than rust, have a weird discolouration thingy happening. Sort of looks like they've been subjected to extreme heat, but that can't be right! What is it? In closer detail:

Also I'm not sure about paint colours now. I was going to repaint the whole thing, but Mary was lovely and cleaned it properly before I collected it - it turns out a lot of what seemed to be rust was dirt. And there's no way I'm repainting more than needs to be done. It's the new-style blue-with-yellow-bits duetto. And the coated trays are of course cream like usual (and need touching up/ partial recoating also). Currently I have the tail end of some spray plasti-kote, but that's orange.. And I have some red pots, but I don't really want to use that on the trays, and I figure red blobs on a mostly-blue cage will look a little horriffic anyway o.O

And a question from Jemma; are the legs of working duettos vertical, or are they slightly angled?
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

lilladysez

Re: Project Duetto [immense cage restoration] *img heavy*

Post by lilladysez » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Wow that's a lot of rust! Looks like it'll be a big job :) I'm sure you'll have motivation to do it since you've wanted one for so long.
Proud mum to Smirnoff Texas, Eleven and Minny. HKM Sausage, India, Zulu, Sierra, Delta and Tango. Tilly and Bitzy. Missing those who have left like crazy.

I'm a Dark Wednesday survivor!!

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:21 pm

No idea about the legs, but have fun sorting it!
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Good luck! :o :D
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Legs are perfectly vertical on the outside corners (the inner side is kinda angled) in order for the slidey clip thing to slide easily the length of each corner. Good luck! It looks like a mammoth task :o :luck:
P.S. I can take a photo if you'd like x
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Scotch brite is your friend. It will take the rust off without damaging the metal. If you could afford it I would be really tempted to get the whole thing galvanised. I'm not sure how much it would cost though, or if it would be worth it. But definitely use scotch brite :-)
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Wow you weren't exaggerating about it needing work :o But I'm sure it will look good as new when you've finished with it.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:26 pm

What is scotch brite? *googles*

I don't think getting it commercially done is viable in the timeframe really. And I do kinda need to keep it low-cost (without scrimping on the quality) because moving house is expensives. Thanks though, and for the link!

It is a lot of rust, but it's coming off fairly easily at least. Just with a lot of effort lol.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:What is scotch brite? *googles*

I don't think getting it commercially done is viable in the timeframe really. And I do kinda need to keep it low-cost (without scrimping on the quality) because moving house is expensives. Thanks though, and for the link!

It is a lot of rust, but it's coming off fairly easily at least. Just with a lot of effort lol.
I'll be honest, I am REALLY envious of you! I would *love* a restoration project like this. Scotch brite, its a scouring pad, specifically developed for the aircraft industry. More abrasive pads, like metal scouring pads/brillo pads will also take the metal away, which isn't ideal. Its cheap as well.

If you want a REALLY plush finish then get some wet&dry as well. Though if you are trying to do it quickly the scotch brite alone is perfect. Does need a bit of elbow grease though ;)

I just linked because it looked cool... If I get a restoration project like this I would be tempted to get it professionally powder coated.

*wants a rusted duetto now*

:lol:

(edited - more information added to post)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:53 pm

BasilTheRat wrote:I'll be honest, I am REALLY envious of you! I would *love* a restoration project like this.
It was sitting in Mary's cabin thingy for a few months before I enquired! Just I was the first person to ask what had happened to the one that was replaced with an SRS, I think :lol:
BasilTheRat wrote:Scotch brite, its a scouring pad, specifically developed for the aircraft industry. More abrasive pads, like metal scouring pads/brillo pads will also take the metal away, which isn't ideal. Its cheap as well.
Where do you get it from? Sounds like just what I'm after!
BasilTheRat wrote:If you want a REALLY plush finish then get some wet&dry as well.
Got some I think! I can do that when it's set up though i.e. after deadline, rather than something that needs to be done before the 11th :)
*~~Beri~~*

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:00 pm

KatieJ wrote:Legs are perfectly vertical on the outside corners (the inner side is kinda angled) in order for the slidey clip thing to slide easily the length of each corner. Good luck! It looks like a mammoth task :o :luck:
P.S. I can take a photo if you'd like x
Oops, missed your reply. A photo would be excellent, thank you :)
*~~Beri~~*

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:02 pm

This is the stuff you want: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-Brite-He ... 37&sr=8-11

It lasts ages, you have to really work it hard until its no good.

The wet and dry is perfect for finishing the job, and getting the metal looking really plush before spraying. I would recommend you go for a primer before plastikoting (assuming you are using plastikote). Use the wet&dry 'dry' initially, after you have removed all of the rust and paint with the scotch brite. Then use water to get an even better finish. You can get metal looking 'perfect' with that stuff, its brilliant.

The better condition you can get the base metal into, the better the finish you will get with the paint. I would strongly recommend a decent metal primer though.

*wants a rusted duetto* :lol: I even put a wanted thread up.

Best of luck :-) Its a fantastic renovation project :-)

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Excuse the random poop on the floor. That's why I've put laminate over the carpet ;) Hope these help. If not I can always take more! I think the camera angle in the first one does not help. Little bit fishbowled.

::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 pm

Good luck Beri!
Could you keep a list of cost and time, I'd be interested to know how much it costs to do (including everything like plasters for ouchy fingers) and how many hours it takes.