Project Duetto [immense cage restoration] *img heavy*

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
acapae_wolf

Re: Project Duetto [immense cage restoration] *img heavy*

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:56 pm

The rust won't come off this panel :(
14.5hrs
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

GeekyGoth

Post by GeekyGoth » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:55 am

OMG thats dedication... go Beri!

I'll be watching your progress with baited breath!
Whiskers In The Ear small animal rescue often has animals seeking forever homes.http://www.whiskersintheear.bravehost.com

Owned By The Fuzzy Hoards
Sweet dreams to all those at the bridge, Mummy loves you all

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:56 am

Tip #6 when you go outside late at night to bring drying cage in (so it doesn't get covered in dew), don't stand on a snail (bare feet)!
15hrs
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:38 am

Ew!
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:26 am

Yeah, I have to say, ew beat any feeling of poor snail for me...
*~~Beri~~*

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:27 am

acapae_wolf wrote:
BasilTheRat wrote:I'll be honest, I am REALLY envious of you! I would *love* a restoration project like this.
It was sitting in Mary's cabin thingy for a few months before I enquired! Just I was the first person to ask what had happened to the one that was replaced with an SRS, I think :lol:
I had been dithering over whether to sell bits of it as spares or whether to see if anyone wanted to restore it, bearing in mind bits were so bad - but Beri was keen to take it on. :D

Beri, you're doing an amazing job!
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks Mary :D

Stupid question, but steel can tarnish can't it? I've got some stuff that looks like rust at some angles, but when I peer at it at the angle that makes the non-rusty look shiny, it looks black. Since I don't care if it's shiny or not, painting over that is fine right?

17hrs...
*~~Beri~~*

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 am

Steel can be affected by different chemicals that are around so can do different colour type things, however if the surface is smooth and shiny i wouldn't worry too much, if in doubt bung some hammerite on and if its the rust teeatment stuff if should stop anything messing around.

I like your interesting colour choice with the hammerite, are you going to make it all blue eventually, or just Funky looking?
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Jemma wrote:Steel can be affected by different chemicals that are around so can do different colour type things, however if the surface is smooth and shiny i wouldn't worry too much, if in doubt bung some hammerite on and if its the rust teeatment stuff if should stop anything messing around.
It's not smooth and shiny - for one thing rust alone makes it pitted :x It's sort of pitted and tarnished looking. If it was silver I would say it definately was - but then silver doesn't tend to rust, so.... I was thinking that rat pee eroded the paint, it was open to the air/ more pee and went funny, and then it rusted after that. Or something. But cool! I shall bung the hammerite on LOL. That's a lot less effort heh.
Jemma wrote:I like your interesting colour choice with the hammerite, are you going to make it all blue eventually, or just Funky looking?
It's not the enamel Hammerite, but an undercoaty rust-beater one. I had a choice of dark brown and beige - picked the latter as the brown was pretty much rust-coloured, so hard to tell at a glance which bits I would have already painted. I don't think I could cope with blue/ yellow and dark beige :sickrat: I'm using red, orange, and hopefully dark green plastikote on top of the Hammerite. To match nicely with the pre-existing blue and yellow...
*~~Beri~~*

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:47 pm

rainbow cow pattern cage :luck:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:03 pm

You're the 3rd person to acknowledge and not make a dubious face at the colour 'scheme'. Excellent :lol:

I've now painted the 1st coat of the 2nd side of the front panel. And painted the first side of the last super-rusty-maybe-tarnished short side. Oh, and started on the plastikote for the trays and yellow flap/ side bits. Yay colour.

I also seem to be turning into an oompa loompa where I accidently sprayed my left palm/ wrist with orange plastikote..

Tip #7 If you're not wearing shoes, regularly sweep up the pinged out wire brush bristles. Metal bristle in your toe is painful.
Tip #8 Learn from the above and sweep them up, rather than taking note and then standing on more...

21.5hrs
*~~Beri~~*

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Hm, if I can manage to persuade myself to finish removing the rust and then use the primer on the back panel, then every single duetto thing (minus the 2 trays and ignoring and the very small bit of rust on the roof) will be drying outside. Hm, is that incentive enough? *scratches chin*
*~~Beri~~*

lechien

Post by lechien » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 pm

ooow this is great! a lot of work for you, but i'm excited to see the outcome!! great job so far! :luck:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:18 pm

22.5hrs

Everything drying :D

2 coats (and I'm out of orange halfway through the galvanised one :lol:)

A helpful chair. 2 coats on everything orange (and the underside of the flappy things), need to plastikote the remainder of the hammerite-only corner bits

Side 2 (inside) of the 2nd big panel (back of cage). Getting in between the bars where they join on the right wasn't fun. Poor paintbrush also. I assume the right hand side was it joining with the super-manky side panel.

1st coat of the 2nd side (inside) of the front panel. Painting around the middle of the lower half where it has the hole for the split thingy was hard too in terms of finding a brush that fitted.

2nd coat on 1st side (outside) of the nicer side panel

1st coat on 1st side (outside) of the horrible git-faced yucky panel you see a lot of in the OP

Present for Han - my orange hand. The palm was a lot more orange, and I have some nice freckles on the back :P The orange spray was running out (bought it ages ago, wanted to finish it) and I wanted to see if there was any left. Silly me spayed it at my hand to check :roll:
lechien wrote:ooow this is great! a lot of work for you, but i'm excited to see the outcome!! great job so far! :luck:
Thanks! It's better than packing is all I can say LOL

eta - it's almost time to start on the other end of the yellow side things/ rest of the galvanised tray... funnnnn. They will be red :D
*~~Beri~~*

cantfink

Post by cantfink » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:16 pm

acapae_wolf wrote: Image
Ha reminds me of evil dead!
Ratty Girls: Ada, Grace, Motorway and Terror.