Cleaning ropes.

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
cookielucylou

Cleaning ropes.

Post by cookielucylou » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:36 pm

I like the rats to have ropes in their cages but they are currently looking rather dingy, how do you get them clean?
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

philosophyfox

Re: Cleaning ropes.

Post by philosophyfox » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:50 pm

I soak mine in the sink in just plain washing up liquid until I get told to remove them :oops:

I rinse the suds off and dry outside. I do the same for unraveled dog toy ropes as well as the bendy, perch ones. If they are a bit stained I'll scrub with a cloth but normally a bit of a soak and a rinse clears off the muck okay.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Kim N

Post by Kim N » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Do they dry ok? How log does it take to dry and have you ever put them in the dryer? :)

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 pm

I've never tried them in the drier. I leave them on the wall outside and they are dried after a couple of hours, less on a really sunny day. The dog toy ones fray quicker (but still last really well!) but the bendy ones are still like new (a bit discolored maybe, but no frays).
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:55 pm

I put my bog standard ropes (and rope bridges and cargo nets) in the washing machine. The bendy ones go in the shower :roll: x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I do the same as Ms Fox but I scrub any marks off with an old toothbrush . I find drying them is the problem but I might try them in my washing machine next time....That will mean less drying time, hopefully. :D
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks all :)
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:22 pm

The leading rein ropes I use have to be hand washed as they're not colour fast (as the guinea pigs' tie-dye effect towel will attest to!) but cargo nets and similar get put in the washing machine.

I wring any hand-washed ropes out thoroughly and then stick them on the washing line. They usually dry pretty fast but I have spares so I don't have to wait for it to dry.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:42 am

Washing machine and washing line on a good drying day or tumble dryer while I'm out. so i don't have to listen to the plastic ends clanging around :lol: I've only ever had one end come off and stuck it back on with copydex. the dog toys that I use have the ends taped up with duck tape, it lasts 3 or 4 washes before needing renewed
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

faye1988

Post by faye1988 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:05 am

I put my last one in the washing machine and the plastic end came off, so the rope unravelled, I'll be hand washing it next time.
:girly: Cookie, Cupcake, Dusty, Pixie, Pepper, Star :smileyrat:Boris, Bailey, Whisky, Monty, Tintin
:rainbow: RIP all those gone but never forgotten xx

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 am

I wash my ropes every month, just bung them all in the sink with hot water and some bio washing powder. Leave them for an hour, then rinse them out a few times. Hang them out on the washing line, and they are ready to go back in after a couple of days! Its a bit of a pain getting them dry in the winter though :(
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...