Electric fans for keeping ratties cool?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Hannah&Lee

Electric fans for keeping ratties cool?

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey my boys are doing that 'Im soooo hot!' kind of flump where then spread out and dont snuggle up as its soo warm!
Do they like electric fans to keep cool?
Im changing their water as often as possible with cold water from the fridge and they're woofing it! Plus lots of water rich vege and pea fishing!
I will happily buy a fan if people say their rats love it, I just dont want to buy one if they're terrified of it!
Thanks (from me and my hot boys!)
Hannah x

Naomi1984

Re: Electric fans for keeping ratties cool?

Post by Naomi1984 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:11 pm

Mine absolutely love theirs and its been a god send in this hot weather! Highly recommended!
Love Naomi and The Gang xxx
:hearts: Sadie, Scarlett, Judi, Daisy and Thomas :hearts:

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Rats don't sweat, so fans wont really work will they?
Unless you put a frozen/cold towel in front of the fan, don't take my word for it though :lol:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:31 pm

ErnieG! wrote:Rats don't sweat, so fans wont really work will they?
Unless you put a frozen/cold towel in front of the fan, don't take my word for it though :lol:
Yup, you're right. Fans work by cooling moisture on our skin, and since rats don't sweat it doesn't work. The only way it would work is the old "hillybilly air conditioner" where you put a block of ice (i suppose a frozen towel would work?) in front of the fan. Never tried that though!
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm

It doesn't cool them down like it cools us down, because as you say, they don't sweat, but I'm sure mine benefit from it as it circulates the stuffy air with the fresh coming from the window. It won't cool them on it';s own, but combined with ice cube fishing etc it seems to help my lot. They like to lay in the air stream sniffing :hearts:

Damping their ears and tails periodically helps them to feel cooler quicker I've been told. And spiking their hair with water on their heads provides cooling off to them, and amusement to you.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Increasing the humidity is good though. I often have a fan going angled down into a bowl of cold water. Dampening them is sort of giving them fake sweat, in that it's the evapouration of water (sweat or otherwise) that cools you down. When I'm very hot I put cold water on my feet/ lower arms/ neck/ face for the same reason.

Technically they sweat a bit through the soles of their feet - not that that really helps, I suspect :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

penny_black

Post by penny_black » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't sweat when the weather's cold, but I'm sure if I had a fan aimed at me in the winter it would make me feel even colder :lol:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:54 am

penny_black wrote:I don't sweat when the weather's cold, but I'm sure if I had a fan aimed at me in the winter it would make me feel even colder :lol:
I think sweating happens all the time, even if it's so little that you can't tell.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:
penny_black wrote:I don't sweat when the weather's cold, but I'm sure if I had a fan aimed at me in the winter it would make me feel even colder :lol:
I think sweating happens all the time, even if it's so little that you can't tell.
Yep, that's why you feel colder - if you weren't sweating, you wouldn't.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:24 am

Surely the windhchill effect of a fan would be of benefit though. I know windchill is more to do with effective rate of heat loss, but wouldnt that help prevent overheating in the first place ?
Even without sweating there is still thermal conduction, sweat just makes it more efficient right ?

I like the bowl of cold water in front of the fan idea, and dampening them a bit sounds smart. I generally do some pea fishing in the late afternoon when its hottest and that encourages wet fur :)
Does anyone actually "mist" their rats ? Ive considered getting a little miniature mister, like for bonsai or something, but Im not sure they would enjoy it :-?

If nothing else I reckon a fan is good if only to move the air about and blow away evaporated pee. Out of interest, I take it a rats core temp is 37C too ?
Last edited by HereticPr1me on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug, witless provider to :
Boys: Brannigan, Kiff.
Girls: Yuffie, Rinoa, Peaches.
:rainbow: 12 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Johnny-5 :rainbow:
Glue Trap Awareness

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:25 am

HereticPr1me wrote:Surely the windhchill effect of a fan would be of benefit though. I know windchill is more to do with effective rate of heat loss, but wouldnt that help prevent overheating in the first place ?
Even without sweating there is still thermal conduction, sweat just makes it more efficient right ?
It is, yep. But I'm not sure how much of an affect it actually has on rats given their dense fur. Iunno! *ponders(
*~~Beri~~*

lamb

Post by lamb » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 am

I mist my rats they love it. They hang off the bars waiting for a go :D Try it!

lechien

Post by lechien » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 am

i mist my ratties too. though over here in Germany the weather has been pretty cold, when it was pretty hot i misted them and they really loved it. they weren't bothered as i originally feared, btu they were curious and sniffing and came to get more. and afterwards they seemed to enjoy cleaning themselves. :D i don't know if it actually cooled them down, but i'd think so, a little bit.

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:57 am

My rats love their fan, they starfish on the bars until cool enough then warm back up in the ratty pile in the cube :roll: :lol:
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:07 pm

OK sold, Im totally getting them a mister 8)
Doug, witless provider to :
Boys: Brannigan, Kiff.
Girls: Yuffie, Rinoa, Peaches.
:rainbow: 12 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Johnny-5 :rainbow:
Glue Trap Awareness