Show me a Critter 1 set up.

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
kingbuxton13

Show me a Critter 1 set up.

Post by kingbuxton13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Im stuck with a Critter 1 for the time being, and im generally struggling to deck it out how I would find acceptable, im new to it to be honest.

Can anyone point me to some pictures online, or perhaps advise how best to deck it out. Its for a pair of males.

I have a tunnel, 2 food dishes, a water, a bed, a hammock, a ladder, and 2 dangly toys.

Ratty_Rhian

Re: Show me a Critter 1 set up.

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Sorry to criticise but a Critter 1 really isn't suitable as a permanent cage for a pair of rats. As your guys are babies it is probably ok for the time being but in another couple of months they will be adults and therefore quite big. A Critter 2 really is about the smallest you should have them in. There are some Critter 2 set-ups in the show your set-up section, maybe some of those will give you some inspiration.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:05 pm

I thought you were getting a Critter 2?

Babies need as much space as possible really, espcially upwards. They like to climb :D
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:23 pm

kingbuxton13 wrote:Im stuck with a Critter 1 for the time being, and im generally struggling to deck it out how I would find acceptable, im new to it to be honest.

Can anyone point me to some pictures online, or perhaps advise how best to deck it out. Its for a pair of males.

I have a tunnel, 2 food dishes, a water, a bed, a hammock, a ladder, and 2 dangly toys.
Like I said.

Its literally for a couple of weeks

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:27 pm

can you combine a Critter 2 and 1? I know not everyone loves Critters....
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi...If it is all you can do , it won`t hurt at all for a couple of weeks until you get sorted out. If you take out the shelf and ramp you will have space for two hammocks. Put in a couple of tunnels and a rope across or two if you have them....Make your own if money is tight at the moment by ripping up a t-shirt or two !! :D

You can pop in a toilet roll for them to pull at the tissue and shred and maybe a coconut thingy for them. You can attach tunnels all the way round the top to give them a rat run too . If you sit back and look at it you will see where you can put things to give them `adventure` and climbing.

If you look on Ebay you may be able to pick up a nice Freddy or Abode cage for not too much which would suit two boys..Have you looked on Market Place here to see if anyone has anything for sale ?....Good luck....I`m sure they will be fine for a couple of weeks...Don`t forget playtime outside the cage and lots of cuddles !! :luck:
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Might not be everyones opinion, but personally I think a critter 1 is fine for a little while with the kittens still being a bit skittish. A smaller cage will make it easier for you to gain their trust in the first few weeks. I wouldnt put anything tunnelly in until you are confident that you are able to get them to come out of the cage. Open topped hammocks would be fine, and an igloo that doesnt have to be clipped together, like an open bottomed one might be better. You could give them a box of tissues to play with, or hide some treats inside loo rolls or egg boxes etc.

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 pm

kingbuxton13 wrote:
kingbuxton13 wrote:Im stuck with a Critter 1 for the time being, and im generally struggling to deck it out how I would find acceptable, im new to it to be honest.

Like I said.

Its literally for a couple of weeks
Hope what I said didn't come across as mean it's just that "for the time being" can mean weeks or even years depending on the person which I why I also said "for the time being" but will need something bigger in adulthood. Great cage to keep as a hospital/intros cage though :D .

There's some pretty good Critter set-ups on this page http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... a&start=15 and it appears you can get a wheel in as well which will help them get some exercise too. You can put lots more hammocks in too which don't have to be expensive - you can use old tea towels if you want. Cardboard bozes go down well and you can get great bargain boxes to tie to the bars from pound shops and dog rope toys are great to unravel and make rope bridges from.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 pm

No course, I wasnt being funny.

Siberiankiss off FR is sorting me out a critter 2 in a couple of weeks thats all. I just didnt think it fair to not put a bit of effort it until then.

I made a hammock out of an old hoodie of mine, pretty impressed with it. They havent used it for about 4 days, come home today, 2 individual poo's in there. I think that is their feedback. Thanks alot rats.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 am

Coop cup has water in and back right corner has a perch attached along the back panel which you can just see.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Reb70

Post by Reb70 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:07 pm

I think I posted a pic of our critter 2 set up on another of your posts a while back, but just in case you didn't see it, and for when you get one, here is ours!! Not then best pic but click on it for a better look.
Rattie boys; Coastboat 'Giant 1 kg Ozzy' and his brorat Rambo, silly Mr.Figgles, & baby Kevin and Morris.