Furet Plus shelf wont unscrew!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
wicked-jester

Furet Plus shelf wont unscrew!

Post by wicked-jester » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey, today I bought new things for my rats so thought Id clean them out and move their cage layout around. But the stupid shelf wont come off, one of the screws wont come off, it just twists round not budging. Anyone had this problem? How do I get the shelf off?

Should of known better when buying considering PAH sell them :angry:

Ratty_Rhian

Re: Furet Plus shelf wont unscrew!

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:11 pm

If it's just turning then it means that the thread is destroyed. Best plan would be to drill it out or similar and fasten the shelf with some garden wire through the hole instead. I don't tend to use the screws anyway as I use them in an explorer which has different sized bar spacing.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm

:wink: hi dose the bits that the srew gose into pop out because i had th same problem and i worked out that the but where the srew hole is slides out i just slid the tray of then manoverd the screw and block bit through the bars, you should be able to see if its a block bit hope this helps i know my descrition is rubbish maybe sombody has somepics of the bit i mean good luck :wink:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:47 pm

If it won't unscrew while attached to the cage, side the shelf off the square of the reverse thread. You'll then either have to leave it there, or saw it off.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:07 pm

ok heres the pics of the bits if you need any more just let meknow it should comeof without damaging it if you can slide it out :wink:

this is the bit attached that the screw gose into it should slide out and be attatched to the cge with the screw then you can manouver it out with the screw till in it.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Happens to me all the time I now dont use any of the bits and cable tie them on... there is a hole at the top on the shelf which I use to cable tie. But when one gets stuck i pop the shelf off the square/rectable bit and then saw it off :angry:
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

saz87

Post by saz87 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Happens to me all the time I now dont use any of the bits and cable tie them on... there is a hole at the top on the shelf which I use to cable tie. But when one gets stuck i pop the shelf off the square/rectable bit and then saw it off
yup same, those shelves are a nightmare, i've taken all of the fastenings off and just attached them with cable ties also. i have several of the wheels and little square bits stuck all over every one of my cages and cant get them off :oops: they just hang there and look unsightly! i never thought about sawing them off, i'm not the best at handiwork...
although i actually find that having them held on with cable ties makes them easier to clean, and move around.
Sarah-Jane, owned by:
:dumbo: Wilbur Wooster, :dumbo: Otto Bigfoot :dumbo: Captain Marley-Smuts
Forever missing all at the :rainbow:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:13 pm

saz87 wrote:
Happens to me all the time I now dont use any of the bits and cable tie them on... there is a hole at the top on the shelf which I use to cable tie. But when one gets stuck i pop the shelf off the square/rectable bit and then saw it off
yup same, those shelves are a nightmare, i've taken all of the fastenings off and just attached them with cable ties also. i have several of the wheels and little square bits stuck all over every one of my cages and cant get them off :oops: they just hang there and look unsightly! i never thought about sawing them off, i'm not the best at handiwork...
although i actually find that having them held on with cable ties makes them easier to clean, and move around.
I'm pretty sure I used a kitchen knife to get mine off :lol:
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

wicked-jester

Post by wicked-jester » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:42 am

Thankyou, its off :D. No need for my first plan (being thrown out the window, then stamped on) think I might cable tie the rest too before they do it.

The pics really helped aswell, thankyou :lol: