Plastic Corner Shelves - Design Flaws & Suggestions

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.

What would your top 5 shelf colours be?

Black
12%
Dark Blue
11%
Dark Purple
17%
Dark Red
9%
Baby Blue
8%
Baby Pink or Bright Pink
10%
Yellow
4%
Lime Green or Dark Green
13%
Lilac/Light Purple
13%
White
3%

Total votes: 332

ScattieMcRattie

Re: Plastic Corner Shelves - Design Flaws & Suggestions

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:30 pm

my personal feeling if i could design the perfect corner shelf;

for colours; i would however love lime green, or black shelves. There are a lot of other lime products about that could match...i'd also like burgandy...... but for good old cleanliness you cant beat black. Personally i'd rather have a black shelf than bright garish colours (except of course lime green lol and black glittery :wink: :lol: )

i dont think a lip around the front edge is a good idea as it will make cleaning things harder, it will create pools of wee and get scummy quickly.

round the back edges though hightening the lip to about and inch may be good to stop weeing over the edge and bits being kicked off the shelf.but at the same time a nice lip is going to encourage chewers, so i think its 50/50 for me on that one i can take it or leave it.

a shelve with holes along the front edge for hanging things on is essential in my opinion.cages like the explorer which i personally have are difficult to hang things on as it is considering you loose valuable hanging space in the front as they are the doors. i would also like those holes to be slightly larger than they are on the ferplast ones as most of my my plastic clips dont fit through them anyway :roll:

as for the fixings not bothered about colour prob wont be seen anyway, but they would need to be something i can get undone easily and quickly by myself, with a large cage like the Explorer trying to hold a shelf up inside the cage with one hand, and tighten screws and bolts with a spanner or screwdriver on the outside of the cage is near impossible witohut a spare person which i dont have. so a simple wingnut gets my vote.

the ridges on the shelf are annoying when it comes to cleaning, but i see their purpose as grip aids to stop ratties slipping on smooth plastic shelves so as far as that goes im 50/50 take it or leave it i dont mind.

another thing i have often thoguht about the shelves is i want them to be bigger. i understand you want them to fit universal cages sothey dont need to be huge but i would like them a bit bigger than they are. but again i can take it or leave it deffinately no smaller than they already are though.

i think thats all i can think of for now lol :wink: :lol:

the only thing i am really firm on would be the holes around the edge, and the wingnut fastening to clarify all my waffel lol
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 pm

I find shelves with lips much harder to clean than those that are flat. Although I do mostly use deep trays when a shelf-type thing is needed, which removes the issue.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:my personal feeling if i could design the perfect corner shelf;
a shelve with holes along the front edge for hanging things on is essential in my opinion.cages like the explorer which i personally have are difficult to hang things on as it is considering you loose valuable hanging space in the front as they are the doors. i would also like those holes to be slightly larger than they are on the ferplast ones as most of my my plastic clips dont fit through them anyway :roll:
Have you got an example of a toy with the clips on that you have problems with? Just to get an idea of sizes.
http://www.EquineCanineFeline.com/ USE CODE: FANCYRATS in the box at the checkout for a 10% discount. BRAND NEW HAMMOCKS & TOYS IN STOCK NOW!!

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Golgotha_tramp wrote:For me the I would like a inch or so lip at the back of the shelf (the two bits touching the cage) to stop widdling out of the cage and kicking out poops. Some "tie holes" in on the floor in the three corners would be good so that you could make a cushion and tie it on (kind of like a seat cushion)
Golgotha_tramp wrote:For me the I would like a inch or so lip at the back of the shelf (the two bits touching the cage) to stop widdling out of the cage and kicking out poops. Some "tie holes" in on the floor in the three corners would be good so that you could make a cushion and tie it on (kind of like a seat cushion)
How high would you like the front lip (if any) to be?
http://www.EquineCanineFeline.com/ USE CODE: FANCYRATS in the box at the checkout for a 10% discount. BRAND NEW HAMMOCKS & TOYS IN STOCK NOW!!

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:I find shelves with lips much harder to clean than those that are flat. Although I do mostly use deep trays when a shelf-type thing is needed, which removes the issue.
Would that still be the same even if the lips were totally smooth curved (so no groove for bits to get stuck in?)

Thank you so much everyone for your input so far, I appreciate it :dumbogirly:

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:47 pm

eequine wrote:
ScattieMcRattie wrote:my personal feeling if i could design the perfect corner shelf;
Have you got an example of a toy with the clips on that you have problems with? Just to get an idea of sizes.
thank you for considering my point, i dont have a picture but i have just measured the clips i have. they are bog standard plastic shower curtain clips. i use these clips as they are easy to clip on and off, and clean in soapy water. thinner metal clips i have are rusted, hard to clean and the hinges snap so i like plstic ones.......anyway to get to the point................ i just measures my clips and a hole about 6 or 7 mm in diameter would be perfect for me.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:52 pm

self cleaning shelves please
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:56 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:
eequine wrote:
thank you for considering my point, i dont have a picture but i have just measured the clips i have. they are bog standard plastic shower curtain clips. i use these clips as they are easy to clip on and off, and clean in soapy water. thinner metal clips i have are rusted, hard to clean and the hinges snap so i like plstic ones.......anyway to get to the point................ i just measures my clips and a hole about 6 or 7 mm in diameter would be perfect for me.
Thank you :)
NickyE wrote:self cleaning shelves please
:lol: will add that to the list, probably not possible at this point in time I am afraid!

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm sure you can get antibacterial in plastic or would that be toxic to rats? Might be an idea especially for ratties with bumble foot?
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

a_wee_one wrote:I'm sure you can get antibacterial in plastic or would that be toxic to rats? Might be an idea especially for ratties with bumble foot?
Like some sort of antibacterial additive? Will ask, there are some things which are dictated by the machines and plastic pressures etc (I don't really understand it to be honest). Ill ask though!

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm

It'd have to be beastie safe - but be a nice little addition (as well as glitter! ) ;)
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

Morgawse

Post by Morgawse » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Will the metal screw bits be stainless or in any way coated to prevent rusting? That's the worry I'd have with those.

As for the shelf surface - the smoother the better if you ask me, less places for yucky gunk to build up and easier to wipe. I'd prefer no lip, but I accept I might be in a minority here.

Holes on the front (and maybe even the bottom) to hang things from would be great.

Sounds like they'll be great! Any idea what they'll cost once they're for sale?
Jennifer

:) Lily, Ffion, Stanley and Bailey :)
Always missed: Yuki, Small, Midge, Hecate, Spider, Cookie, Megumi, Coconut, Miko, Willow, Echo, Crystal, Freya, Splodge, Bluebell, K'mee, and Meg :(

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

Morgawse wrote:Will the metal screw bits be stainless or in any way coated to prevent rusting? That's the worry I'd have with those.

As for the shelf surface - the smoother the better if you ask me, less places for yucky gunk to build up and easier to wipe. I'd prefer no lip, but I accept I might be in a minority here.

Holes on the front (and maybe even the bottom) to hang things from would be great.

Sounds like they'll be great! Any idea what they'll cost once they're for sale?

Bolts will be galvanised so rust free. We were considering having some ionised to colour to match shelves but would be cheaper plain.

Cost wise, we want to make these better AND cheaper than existing products on the market although until we finalise the design it is difficult to say. We are at the moment, trying to cost this to get the new shelves at the £4.99 mark permanently, which isnt bad for something designed and manufactured in the UK.

Obviously, we dont make any of the current plastic shelves on the market, but we are aware there are significant improvements that can be made based on feedback we receive and our own experience of these products with our rats.

One of the most frequent requests we get is for the replacement plastic screws - however we are not permitted to sell those on the open market separately. As far as we are concerned, you should get several years use out of a product without pieces wearing out before their time, so hopefully with an improved design using metal screws you can get replacement parts (if needed) for pennies at a local DIY store as they are off the shelf components. The stronger we can make these, the better.

We want as much feedback as possible so we can consider all the options, as once the mould is made it will be an identical product and no adjustments can be made afterwards, we need to know we havent missed anything :D

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Hows about not just normal corner shelf shape? Maybe some rectangle ones etc? I suppose i'm thinking kind of like having a cat litter tray hanging in the middle of the cage acting as another level, but having a shelf instead...
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:55 pm

i agree, my thoughts exactly.

i mean you have the opportunity and the money obviousely to design and make whatever kind of shelf you want. and yet you have chose to copy whats already on the market. i understand you trying to make an improvement but its still a corner shelf the same as ferplast make, the same as savic make. different bolts and colours aside its still a corner shelf the same as theirs. You have the opportunity to set yourself apart by making something truely different and yet you've chose to copy whats already out there. I know about injection moulding, how much toolings cost and how it works as i work in manufacturing ATM. I also know about business and pet retail. so if i was going to spend the amount of money i know it costs to get a tool made, as well as design and manifacture a new product and have a distribution outlet to bring it to market i'd deffinately make sure i was offering something new and different with a USP all of its own.
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube