Plastic Corner Shelves - Design Flaws & Suggestions

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.

What would your top 5 shelf colours be?

Black
12%
Dark Blue
11%
Dark Purple
17%
Dark Red
9%
Baby Blue
8%
Baby Pink or Bright Pink
10%
Yellow
4%
Lime Green or Dark Green
13%
Lilac/Light Purple
13%
White
3%

Total votes: 332

mupsy

Re: Plastic Corner Shelves - Design Flaws & Suggestions

Post by mupsy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm

pretty please can the inner corner have some sort of curve/chamfer so wiping the shelf is easier.. I find stuff always gets wedged in the 90 degree angle (where the 3 axis meet) that most shelves have.. the more you try and wipe it the further it squishes in!

so less of a L shape and more C if you see what i mean?

Thankyouuu!!
Essex Guinea Pig Rat and Rabbit Rescue.
Based in essex, aiming to rehabilitate and rehome all small furries in need.

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Regarding a lip round the edge of the entire shelf -Yes, this was something we were thinking of doing but then my husband (who incidetally never cleans anything) said it would make it hard to wipe off & clean...

- So if there was to be a lip round the entire edge, how high would you like it to be?

- Would you want drainage holes in the base of the shelf?

- Would you prefer a totally smooth finish to the top surface?

- Not sure if it is possible to get the lip on the front edge AND the holes in the same place (something technical to do with tooling for the plastic machines and moving parts), but we have this down to have a look at - apparently it is easier to get holes on the surface as you look down on the shelf rather than holes on the surfaces as you look sideways at the shelf.

- Glitter should be non toxic - this isnt something that would be painted on, it would actually be encased IN the plastic so you would see it (look at hamster glitter balls for the sort of thing I am talking about) It would be very shimmery. Judging by the split of opinions we will probably run some with and some without.

Please keep the suggestions coming - we have to get this right first time as once the mould is made we cant change it! ;)
http://www.EquineCanineFeline.com/ USE CODE: FANCYRATS in the box at the checkout for a 10% discount. BRAND NEW HAMMOCKS & TOYS IN STOCK NOW!!

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm

And the next query about the bolts to fasten.

We have some bolts in mind. Nice sturdy metal ones that cant get crossthreaded or chewed.

We have the option of having these coloured (I think they call it ionised or something) to MATCH the colours of the shelves. Is this something that you would want or is bog standard silver ok?

The bolts will consist of a bolt, square nut to fit on the other side of the shelf and a nice BIG metal washer to give plenty of support.

On the bolt itself, would you prefer something that the end looks like a giant crosshead screw (so tighten with screwdriver) or wingnut style (tighten with fingers, but would stick out slightly more) or normal bolt style (tighten with spanner or fingers)?
http://www.EquineCanineFeline.com/ USE CODE: FANCYRATS in the box at the checkout for a 10% discount. BRAND NEW HAMMOCKS & TOYS IN STOCK NOW!!

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:21 pm

I wouldn't mind if the bolts were left as they are, and would definitely prefer a wingnut fastening.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

msmara

Post by msmara » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

not bothered about coloured screws, but I agree with Kate about the fastening
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Oooooooo pink glitter ones!! I'd buy loads or purple ones

I would like black ones or bright green for the boys aswell :)

Wingnut blots would be prefect aswell
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 pm

I second or third the ditching of the ridges on the top surface as it just gets wee and poop combos ingrained. Also glittery would be fab. Design wise i'd like the holes for hanging to be a bit more lobster fasting friendly if that makes sense?

The lip on the front would be very good for my special ratty who has a habit of sliding off. the inner corner would be nice if it was rounded too so bits of ming couldn't get stuck there.

And if you made it purple and glittery i might do a wee of excitement! 8)
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Could the lip go all the way round to make it easier to cover in substrate? Not sure if toyah already had that one (sorry if you did toyah :oops: !)...
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 pm

a_wee_one wrote:And if you made it purple and glittery i might do a wee of excitement! 8)
So *that's* why your username is a_wee_one! :lol:

Not sure if this has been mentioned (am not well today so head is all muzzy! :oops: ) but will they be the same size and shape? A range of shapes and sizes would probably be totally impractical I know but it would be brilliant if we had a choice - i.e - rectangular shape as well as traditional pie-wedge shape or shelves a bit like sleep n' ledges that you can fasten anywhere not just in corners as I love sleep n' ledge size etc but it's annoying having to plastikote them etc.

Yes I am demanding...... :P
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Hanlou wrote:
a_wee_one wrote:And if you made it purple and glittery i might do a wee of excitement! 8)
So *that's* why your username is a_wee_one! :lol:

Not sure if this has been mentioned (am not well today so head is all muzzy! :oops: ) but will they be the same size and shape? A range of shapes and sizes would probably be totally impractical I know but it would be brilliant if we had a choice - i.e - rectangular shape as well as traditional pie-wedge shape or shelves a bit like sleep n' ledges that you can fasten anywhere not just in corners as I love sleep n' ledge size etc but it's annoying having to plastikote them etc.

Yes I am demanding...... :P
All plastic shelves have to be exactly the same shape I am afraid. We are getting the "tooling" designed which has to be custom made, and the actual mould for the shelves is worth more than my car :o <--horrified smiley

However... we do have some different shaped lava ledges coming before christmas ;)

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Ah well. Ooohh lava ledges.... :D
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

eequine

Post by eequine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm

I dont know how these things can be so expensive, but I know very little about plastics (apart from that they look nice with glitter :lol: )

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:05 pm

I agree with Mupsy, the vertical lip around the edge shouldn't have a 90 degree corner where it meets the horizontal part of the shelf. It would be good if it was a curve instead like the SRS shelves. Also, the Ferplast ones have recesses where the fixings are. These get full of gunk too so the shelves should be flat on the surface, no recesses or holes but it would be good to have a lip on the lower surface with holes in for hanging stuff.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I love the ideas of: a rounded corner shape, drainage holes, a type of side guard for bedding, smooth finish, hammocks holes. Pretty much everything everyone has said :D

I would like colour-wise: purple, blue, green, black and red. Glitter sounds amazing!!
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Golgotha_tramp

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:37 pm

For me the I would like a inch or so lip at the back of the shelf (the two bits touching the cage) to stop widdling out of the cage and kicking out poops. Some "tie holes" in on the floor in the three corners would be good so that you could make a cushion and tie it on (kind of like a seat cushion)
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred