Plastic Corner Shelves - Design Flaws & Suggestions

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.

What would your top 5 shelf colours be?

Black
12%
Dark Blue
11%
Dark Purple
17%
Dark Red
9%
Baby Blue
8%
Baby Pink or Bright Pink
10%
Yellow
4%
Lime Green or Dark Green
13%
Lilac/Light Purple
13%
White
3%

Total votes: 332

myzoo

Re: Plastic Corner Shelves - Design Flaws & Suggestions

Post by myzoo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:32 pm

eequine wrote:
We have spent all morning looking at screws and bolts, have had a prototype assembled with the slide on the side and we have been testing the strength of plastic where the brackets are - our prototype has had 7.5kgs of weights on it, and also one of my small dogs got on too to see how it fared (I got a picture of this I will try to upload later, v funnny ;) )
:lol: pics! pics! pics! please! :lol:

eequine

Post by eequine » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:12 pm

"Do I look like a rat?!"
Its taken me a few days to get this off my phone :lol:
http://www.EquineCanineFeline.com/ USE CODE: FANCYRATS in the box at the checkout for a 10% discount. BRAND NEW HAMMOCKS & TOYS IN STOCK NOW!!

eequine

Post by eequine » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Should add, that is nothing like the finished version will be - we were testing plastic strengths with different types of screw before deciding on the fixing mechanism... Tiggi was just helping check the load bearing capability of sliding screws!
http://www.EquineCanineFeline.com/ USE CODE: FANCYRATS in the box at the checkout for a 10% discount. BRAND NEW HAMMOCKS & TOYS IN STOCK NOW!!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 am

eequine wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:I find shelves with lips much harder to clean than those that are flat. Although I do mostly use deep trays when a shelf-type thing is needed, which removes the issue.
Would that still be the same even if the lips were totally smooth curved (so no groove for bits to get stuck in?)
Oops, didn't see your reply! Grooves don't bother me for rats (although a pain for hamster/ mouse-sized poos), but a totally smooth curve would be good.I like the rim that the Marchioro corner shelves have.

I voted for the green option on the poll, but meaning dark green. There's no way I'd buy lime green. I feel it's a little unfair sticking the two opposites in the same poll option when for other colours dark and light have been seperated :)

eta - on that note, I hope they ridey grips stay at the same level ferplast sheleves rather than heading towards the savic size. Again mouse and hamster poo doesn't fit over the ridges, and the lack of multifunctionality really annoys me with them - more than their screw issues lol.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:
I voted for the green option on the poll, but meaning dark green. There's no way I'd buy lime green. I feel it's a little unfair sticking the two opposites in the same poll option when for other colours dark and light have been seperated :)

This^^^ Dark green, definitely.

this sounds exciting! I have an SRS, and find the shelves that come with it pretty easy to clean as they have a curved lip that's higher at the back. The rough surface is actually ok to wipe down - I think I'd prefer some texture to stop the rats tobogganing across the shelf, but the ferplast crisscross design is a pain. Something that's sort of the same shape (flexibility in the cage) as the ferplast, but with the cleanability of the SRS shelf, would be fab, with holes for hanging stuff and moveable, durable screws. I've ruined several ferplast shelves because the soft plastic screws have cross threaded and broken.

shelves designed specially by a rat-owner - these are going to be great!
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:25 am

My one concern is if there's a metal washer with a wingnut, might that not eventually damage the powdercoating on the cages over time?
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:34 am

a_wee_one wrote:My one concern is if there's a metal washer with a wingnut, might that not eventually damage the powdercoating on the cages over time?
SHouldn't do - a lot of my attaching toys attach like that e.g. parrot perches, leap/ sleep-n-ledges, general little perches. You're just clamping the metal of the cage, not endlessly scraping at it :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

AmyTville

Post by AmyTville » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 am

Oh wow! I just nearly wet myself with excitement! The thought of glittery shelves, wow! Especially pink purple and lime green! Wow wow wow! :hearts:
Thanks, Amy xx

Tuppence, Dotty, Jesse, Prancer, Vixen, Riff Raff, Rufus R.I.P :rainbow: Rizzo, Franky, Lily, Archie, Spike, Hazie, KC, Daisy, Tinks, Maisy, Squidge, Poppy, Dark-Star, Rose, Dumbleydore, Merlin, Ernie, Tilly mint, Penny

whoopdedoo

Post by whoopdedoo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Bunsen and Beaker would like to register their vote for no glitter, ever ever ever - it's just too girly and they want manly man shelves! (We'll gloss over the time Bunsen stuck his nose in some glitter, resulting in a very cute rat with a very spangly nose... :D )

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

I skipped page 3 and 4, so I don't know if this was covered, but...

With regard to the ridges on the shelf; depending on the actual plastic used, the plastic thickness etc, those ridges may be a necessary part of the design. Large flat surfaces are difficult to mould with some materials, and you can get weak points, thin points, warping etc without having ridges or gaps to break the plastic flow up.

I'm liking a lot of the ideas put forward though :D A definite yes to filleted edges inside the lips for one!
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...