Has any one had any experience with this cage?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
squitchley

Has any one had any experience with this cage?

Post by squitchley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm

http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-31091-fli ... black.aspx
I'm considering getting it, but would like to have other peoples opinions on it first :)

Hanlou

Re: Has any one had any experience with this cage?

Post by Hanlou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi! The thing is with that cage; you do lose a lot of space with the stand. Also; there's nowhere for substrate to go - the base tray is very shallow.

For the money there are far better cages out there. :D

Is there any particular reason you went for this cage? I mean; do you have a particular space you need to put the cage in? Might help people to give you other suggestions.

Another point - I'm fairly sure people have had bad experiences with that particular website so do be cautious.

ETA: There's a pic of this cage set up for rats in the Show Your Set-up Thread (( Here )) which might help.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:35 pm

It's a nice enough cage, I got one second hand a few years back. I wouldn't have bought it for that price as like Hanlou says you can get better ones for that amount. And substrate does get kicked out easily, and the floor space isn't great. But on the plus side the access is good, there's climbing space, and it looks pretty in black. Also it's easy to put together and take down, and stores flat :wink:
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Hanlou wrote:
Another point - I'm fairly sure people have had bad experiences with that particular website so do be cautious.
I never received an order from them. They didn't reply to my emails, or my messages through a paypal dispute I opened. It wasn't for a lot of money, but paypal found in my favour and I got it back. But I would be wary buying a cage from them.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

squitchley

Post by squitchley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks for the warning :| that could have ended very badly, but glad you got your money back philosophy fox.
& I was thinking about getting it because it's big & cheaper than any I've seen, and as I'm selling half of my stuff to get my ratties a bigger cage, I want it to be worth it and not need to get them a new one for a LONG time.
At the moment I only I have 2 rats, hoping to get more (possibly a neutered buck) once I have a steady income.
I have a cage that's *supposed* to be for 2 rats, but I can hardly fit anything in it, so I get kinda worried that when they're not out with me, there bored out of there minds :/
This is the cage I have at the moment: http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Liberta_H ... a_Cage.htm
I'm really not satisfied with it, apart from it being small, it's a pain in the butt to clean, & the doors are tiny, I feel like some sort of gymnast bending my arms around to try reach into my rats :|

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 am

It's certainly a heck of a lot better than the Haven cage!

Have you checked on ebay? I got mine for £50, I only use it as a spare now, but sorry I'm not selling it :lol:
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:29 pm

I think it's great you want to improve your ratties' living space - have you had a good look at the (( Show Your Set-up )) section? Might be worth having a nosey to see if there's anything you like the look of there. Also worth having a look at the (( Cage Reviews )) section to see if there's anything you like there.

There are lots of online shops that offer cages at reasonable prices - (( Equinecaninefeline)) has a pretty good range and if you enter the discount code FANCYRATS you will get 10% off your order too.

Check out the Market Place on here and of course Ebay is always worth a nosey. I got a second-hand cage from there myself recently for £30 - they retail for £100 new.....! :D
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

squitchley

Post by squitchley » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Goshh, so many cages to choose from! I really like the look of the abode, but from the little bit of research I just quickly did, there doesn't seem to be any second hand/cheap ones going. I saw one for £99.99 new, which I'm considering.
Also, another member is advertising an explorer cage in the market place, which I enquired about, but on another forum they said an explorer would be too big for just 2 rats. Do you agree?

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Depends where you are in Yorkshire but someone is selling an Abode for £50 in Chesterfield (J29 of M1) which comes with a John Hopewell metal tray making it pretty good value. :D

I'm a big believer in space for animals as the space we choose to give them is where they will spend most of their lives no matter how much free range they get. So no; I don't personally think that an Explorer is too big for 2 rats - I'm planning to buy an Savic Royal Suite (when I've saved up!) eventually for my 3 girlies.

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:22 pm

I had two rats in a 'High Rise Mammal' cage which is roughly the same size as the Explorer and they were fine. But they were friendly and well handled already, so if yours are confident, they'd be fine in such a cage. You could always have them in just one half for a few weeks to get used to the space? It would also be a good size if you did get more rats.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

squitchley

Post by squitchley » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:28 pm

*googles Chesterfield* It's pretty far away from where I am, I'm like North west. But if I don't end up getting this Explorer, then chances are, I'll be passing near there next month if there still selling by then. So thanks :D
& I have one *extremely* confident rat, and one that's getting there. But putting them in one half for a few weeks seems like a good idea. Thank you all alot :)

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:34 pm

I'd go for the explorer. You can always just use half until you get more rats :) I love my explorers. The access is brilliant.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:38 pm

squitchley wrote:*googles Chesterfield* It's pretty far away from where I am, I'm like North west. But if I don't end up getting this Explorer, then chances are, I'll be passing near there next month if there still selling by then. So thanks :D
& I have one *extremely* confident rat, and one that's getting there. But putting them in one half for a few weeks seems like a good idea. Thank you all alot :)
Ah well Yorkshire's a very big place! And no problem - that's what the forum's for. We're in it for the ratties! :wink: xx

Explorer's are great cages. If you can get one for a good price then yes they're a good investment.

squitchley

Post by squitchley » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Eeeeeeeee, I'm all excited now :D I've always wanted an explorer :D *squee's*

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 pm

I think the Explorer is a really good choice. We decided to get one as we mainly have rats with behaviour problems (when they arrive anyway). There's nothing worse than having to coax a scared bitey rat out of a hard to reach corner for handling. The Explorer eliminates that completely and is so easy to clean and gives them lots of space to just be rats in.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!