We've been upgrading...

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
KateR

We've been upgrading...

Post by KateR » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:47 pm

I’ve been hankering after making our 2 SRSs triple height for a while now, so when a 2nd hand explorer located in Leeds went up on the FR marketplace last night I jumped at the chance. We collected it today and spent a couple of hours chopping it up to get it to fit how we wanted it. Here are the results – the rats seem to like it. And it has put a smile on my face too. They are a bit barer than normal just now while we get the hang of it all but we’ll get there.

Full view.

Biggies’ cage.

Littlies’ cage.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

acapae_wolf

Re: We've been upgrading...

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Oooh, looks good! I bet you'll have fun buying tonnes of toys to fill the extra space :lol: :lol: If it were me I'd take the ladders out though, of the younger girls cage certainly.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm

I do NOT envy you on cleaning out day!!!! :lol:

Looks super fun though! :hearts:
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:35 pm

The ladders are out of the SRS parts, but I didn't like the drop between the sections, so they are in there. The ones tothe top shelves may well come out.

Both cages are totally mxed ages - the names came about ages ago when the ones in the biggies group were a lot bigger physically than the ones in the littles. it's not accurate now but the names have stuck.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 pm

KateR wrote:The ladders are out of the SRS parts, but I didn't like the drop between the sections, so they are in there.
Yeah, drops are annoying - I was assuming the addition of more toys would solve that :) I often do a diagonal line of little ledges for them to jump up in place of a ladder. It's still ladder-ish, but encourages a lot more activity.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Very jealous! How many rats are in each cage? My lazy boys are fine in a freddy 2 max but the OH says I can have an explorer when we move in together next year so they have more space.
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties

Nina

Post by Nina » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 am

Wow :D , my boys are complaining they only have normal SRSs now :lol:

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:08 am

Jealous! Would love to do this to my explorer but then it would be too close to the spotlight on the ceiling and be far too hot for the ratties :(
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:16 am

That looks lovely sized cages, I bet your really chuffed. I wonder if I can justify going triple lol.

acapae_wolf wrote:
KateR wrote:The ladders are out of the SRS parts, but I didn't like the drop between the sections, so they are in there.
Yeah, drops are annoying - I was assuming the addition of more toys would solve that :) I often do a diagonal line of little ledges for them to jump up in place of a ladder. It's still ladder-ish, but encourages a lot more activity.
When I had my middle base in I used to have a lava ledge just below, then a little while under that a big hammock. This worked fine and still encouraged them to climb. You could always take out one of the bases of the two as well, gives you far more room to make a climbing world. Mine love my opened up SRS.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:37 am

They look fab! It's giving me lots of inspiration for my soon-to-be three storey explorer (am picking up another explorer at the end of the month :D ).
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

msmara

Post by msmara » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:46 am

I'm quite tall & I'm sure I'd still need a stepladder to get up there. Cleaning day must suck! I do love the cages tho :)
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Karly

Post by Karly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Looks fab :) I found my Triple FNs pretty easy to clean out - though I'm only 5'3 (just about!) so I built them without the stands to make it a bit easier to reach the top. I've seen some guides on Goosemoose on how to modify the stands to still use the castors too (I just had it without, but it was on lino so easy to slide) whch could be worth a read if you struggle with the height long-term.

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:36 pm

I really like that! :hearts:

I currently have two towers joined but as the abode is stupidly a diff size i cant extend upwards. I was thinking therefore about getting 3 SRS's and putting two side by side and one on top .. do srs's split that way? do people think it would work?
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:37 pm

We're going to get a wee stepladder to make it easier. We can take the storage bars off and then reattach the castors - perhaps a project for another day.

SargentEllie - do you mean similar to what we've done but with a 3rd SRS rather than an explorer?

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

KateR wrote:SargentEllie - do you mean similar to what we've done but with a 3rd SRS rather than an explorer?
yeah i was thinking two 3 stories joined togethe so an srs and a half?. Do you think it would work ? I have always not liked SRS's because i thought the front opening pannels were to restrictive. Thats my issue atm. do you find it so?
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/