Awesome new cage!! :)

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Mini-moon

Awesome new cage!! :)

Post by Mini-moon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Happy times! I just bought my rat pack a ferplast furet tower and wow is it HUGE, cant quite get over the sheer size of it! I know you can never have 'too much space' for a rat, but i could easily fit double the number of ratties in it and more!! Its the same height as me, and we havent even got the wheels on yet!

I've been saving up lots of new toys/hammocks and making cargo nets etc for it (Im probably way more excited than they are) 2 of my boys are young (2 and 1/2 months) and I have been doing introductions with the other 3 (1- 1yr,3 months) and all is going smoothly, a few little pops here and there when initially putting them together, but settles down very quickly and no ongoing aggro each time.

SO, new cage, new group! woop! Although i know i need to keep an eye out and make sure that both halves of the group dont claim ownership of the one level of the cage (and therefore end up with two alpha males- eek!) But apart from that- YAY! :3

Thought id just post on here to share some of my excitement with you guys!

:girly: Meesh

acapae_wolf

Re: Awesome new cage!! :)

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Photos are of course required :D :wink:
Mini-moon wrote:Although i know i need to keep an eye out and make sure that both halves of the group dont claim ownership of the one level of the cage (and therefore end up with two alpha males- eek!)
I've never heard of that happening! Although of course with any cage move there may be some bickering and restating the hierachy before they become settled once again.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Brilliant ! Enjoy it all ! :D
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

The Magic Rat

Post by The Magic Rat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 pm

These are brilliant cages, you will not regret your choice :D

It's been a while since I first assembled mine but I did buy some extra shelves and ramps so that I could avoid the tube entry from the bottom to the first floor. This meant that I could lift the entire top section off with the base intact and it will then stand on the floor, if the tube is fitted underneath it prevents this.

I would keep the rats in the top half (now on the floor) while I cleaned the bottom. When I put the top back on they always wandered down to investigate so then I was then able to lift off the wire top and clean what is now the top again... if this all makes sense :o

The plastic bases are light so it's very easy to tip/sweep all the floor contents into a refuse bag.

A set of small steps is also handy to access down through the top door.

daffee

Post by daffee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:03 pm

We almost bought one of these once. Definitely want to see pics :)
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Mini-moon

Post by Mini-moon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks all! Will get pics up soon! So, the new cage is still awesome and first day/night when i moved all the rats in went fine no problems.. except now the two new babies (Hoodsey and Sid) have taken to squidging themselves in to the tube that connects the bottom level to the top and just do not come out! This is obviously a problem as its the only way between the two levels. Anytime another rat goes anywhere near them or the opening of the tube that theyre sat in the babies start rearing up and screeching in their face!! Lastnight was terrible, no bloodshed or anything but could hear squeaking most of the night. I took most of the bottom tube out earlier to stop them sitting in it so theres just enough left for the rats to climb up to the top level. This helped cos baby Sid stayed in the lower level clinging on to the cage wall bars, BUT earlier, the dominant male (Salem) started sniffing him (Sid stayed still but started screeching at this point) and then out of nowhere Salem went to bite Sids tail, and then chased him round the cage. I know i probably shouldnt interfere but i shouted and splashed Salem with water to tell him off.

This is my third intro if done but seems to be the most difficult and unpredictable. I imagine that if there really was going to be problems with them getting on they would have made this known when i first started mixing them over a month ago and the unwelcome rat(s) would be attacked/bullied until out of the group.. It just seems that as its a new cage, Salem is restating his dominant role by challenging everyone, not just the babies. Hes had a few little pops at his old cagemates (Marley and Calvin) and they all seem fine together now as always, but with the babies it just seems like when ever they cross paths with any other rats, they get too defensive and rear up to attack/screech when really all my old boys are doing is looking at them or having a little sniff. They react far too much and too soon. I Dont know what to do! Theyve now decided to squidge in the tube in the top level since i took the lower level tube down..its never ending!

Shall i leave them to it and just hope this all settles down in a few days? Also, should i take all the tubes out to minimise the tempation for the babies to hog them (Ive got plenty of ropes end things and they can get from A to B without the tubes..)

Sorry if this all seems muddled info..

Heres a pic of the cage just to visualise:
http://www.justcages.co.uk/ferret-cages ... 2i6w#v_850

Thanks!

meesh xx
Meesh and the ratty-lumps: Marley, Salem, Calvin, Hoodsey and Syd