Swimming

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
black_butterfly

Swimming

Post by black_butterfly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Does anyone else's rats like swimming?

I've got two littlies that love swimming. I free range in the bathroom and fill the bath up a little, put an igloo and small sputnik in the bath for islands and a ladder to get in and out. Everyone usually goes in the bath onto an island for a sniff and back out apart from Ruby and Gem who will spend ages in the water, chasing eachother or my hand, diving and swimming! They get right under the water and it's fab to watch. They don't like being dried off though :roll:
Mum to Ammy, Ebony, Hazel, Twix, Gem and Ruby!

Missing Touille :halo:

Alijane

Re: Swimming

Post by Alijane » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am

I used to have the tiniest little rat, called Lulu Oooby Do. She was never in the best of health and used to pull her "security tea towel" around with her wherever she went, so she could hide underneath it. One day, I had her out in the garden with me. I was chatting to my neighbour and we had our feet in the paddling pool. I had Oooby on my knee and she suddenly took off, down my leg and into the water. I was horrified and tried to catch her, but she was off. Into the water she went and off she paddled. She was brilliant at it! She did a lap of the paddling pool and then climbed back up my leg. From then on, whenever I put my feet into the paddling pool, Oooby would have a little swim. It was quite amazing, for such a tiny, frail rat :lol:

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 am

It's weird you say that Ali because my rat Ianto has always been tiny & frail. but he's a swimmer too - our first experience of him swimming was when he jumped off my shoulder into the washing up bowl. I actually had a snack sized heart attack but he loved it!! He's a very strange boy tho. :roll:
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am

msmara wrote:It's weird you say that Ali because my rat Ianto has always been tiny & frail. but he's a swimmer too - our first experience of him swimming was when he jumped off my shoulder into the washing up bowl. I actually had a snack sized heart attack but he loved it!! He's a very strange boy tho. :roll:
Gosh - he sounds very like Oooby. Little Oooby had respy problems, so used to potter around and hardly ever ran. If she did, then she would get very rattly. But she swam with great gusto and was excellent at it. She'd paddle with her little legs and steer with her tail. She was always brighter and seemed to breathe better after a swim too. Very strange, for a little ratty who was so scared of everything else!

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:52 am

Alijane wrote:
msmara wrote:It's weird you say that Ali because my rat Ianto has always been tiny & frail. but he's a swimmer too - our first experience of him swimming was when he jumped off my shoulder into the washing up bowl. I actually had a snack sized heart attack but he loved it!! He's a very strange boy tho. :roll:
Gosh - he sounds very like Oooby. Little Oooby had respy problems, so used to potter around and hardly ever ran. If she did, then she would get very rattly. But she swam with great gusto and was excellent at it. She'd paddle with her little legs and steer with her tail. She was always brighter and seemed to breathe better after a swim too. Very strange, for a little ratty who was so scared of everything else!
I wonder if they're related?! Ianto is the same, he's so weak & tiny (yesterday's weigh in shows he's only 297g!!) and he's a total scaredy cat & will sit on me & squeak if anyone touches him or goes near him but he loves water. I let him swim in the bath & put little islands in too:
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:08 pm

i think we need a vid!
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Mine! I had to build it up slowly for them, and some of them are a lot more keen than others *coughArkycough* :lol: I need to reintroduce them again as after a period of not having any water access (uni term time) they've got warier again. Pfft.

I also do islands and things, and I find putting pebbles and toys that float/ bob about also create much interest. And also the sorts of things where the texture is very different when wet to dry like the sisal/ rope cat ball things.

I never dry mine myself, I leave them to do it themsevles. I find they like a nice little high-up perch (normally the bookcase or the top of the cat tree) and just do a really thorough groom :D They're spikey for a bit, but they're back to normal in 30mins or so.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:33 pm

I think they look really cool when they are spikey ... especially my dark brown boys!

Nichmerry

Post by Nichmerry » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:44 pm

I've been thinking about getting my girls into a bit of swimming - just one thing: do you use cold or warm water? Hate the thought of shivering little ratties!

Any advice on introducing the girls to water would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Nichola and her girls: Scout and Gwen

Still missing her boys: Ally and Logan

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Cold, but with added food :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

black_butterfly

Post by black_butterfly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 pm

I use warm water but they seem to prefer room temp or colder. I worry about them getting cold

I started with pea fishing in a shallow bowl first and gradually make it deeper. I only use the bath as the littlies were trying to swim in a cat litter tray of water, they would get in, put heads under and then hit the otherside.
Mum to Ammy, Ebony, Hazel, Twix, Gem and Ruby!

Missing Touille :halo:

Muddiwarx

Post by Muddiwarx » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:57 pm

I use warm water if they are in the bath but in the paddling pool in the garden it is cold :)
Julie and the pets
Manchester, UK
http://www.muddiwarx.co.uk