Wire mesh

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
charlie4591

Wire mesh

Post by charlie4591 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:55 pm

could anyone tell me where to get wire mesh from for modding cages please? I want to make a homemade hammy cage so I'd need mesh that's about 5mm if possible. My dad suggested chicken wire as he had chickens but the gaps are huge, my big squishy boys could fit through so a hamster would have no problem. somewhere cheap would be good :) thanks :)
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love:

katebux

Re: Wire mesh

Post by katebux » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Ebay can be a good place to look. If you want to see some before you buy, try B and Q or homebase. :)
Kate and the rats <3 )~
Dante :dumbo: Gabriel :dumbo: Ezio :smileyrat: Nico :smileyrat: and new babies Othello :baby: and Mercutio :baby:
:rainbow: Flopsy, Mopsy, Barbie, Phil, Lil,Tiffany, Bianca, Pixie, Daphne and Fiona

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:07 pm

I've tried eBay and only found massive roles that cost a fortune :( and the holes were always 1" too. I only need a small amount to make a lid for a homemade hammy cage, not worth paying £50 and up for :(
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love:

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:59 pm

have you tried wilkinsons?

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:37 am

no I haven't actually thanks I'll try there as I have one local :)

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:14 am

Artemis wrote:have you tried wilkinsons?
:wink: yes i was going to say wilkos and its only about 3.50 a roll
:luck:

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:16 pm

thanks i've found it :D i don't have a hammy yet and it probably won't be until next year but i like to be prepared :D

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 pm

I'd recommend sheets rather than a roll, sheets are more expensive but so much easier to work with. the cheapest deal I found for 5mm square was i think with 'Screwfix'
ETA sorry just realised you only need one sheet for a lid. homebase sometimes has single sheets of 5mm for about £6