FLIES!!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
msmara

FLIES!!

Post by msmara » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 am

I need help as I am about to have a total breakdown. I love my rats but I have 7 babies (well, they're not babies anymore, they're 19 weeks old) and they STINK! they pee on everything all the time - constantly. Anyway, that's not my problem. They're currently on finacard - have been for about 4 days & they pong so bad, so I've had the window open, which now means there are flies in the room - now I HATE flies, they makes me so angry & I need to get rid of them. What can I do, that is rat safe, to get rid of the horrid creatures? :angry:
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Werepuppy

Re: FLIES!!

Post by Werepuppy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 am

You can buy stickers in the shape of sunflower seeds, they attract the flies and kill them without any pesticides.
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

bazandrats

Post by bazandrats » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:55 am

you can buy flyscreens on e-bay. these consist of thin velcro strips that are sticky on one side. You put these strips on the inside of your window frames. then you cut the mesh (like net curtains but black and with mesh that allows air in but small enough to keep flies out), to the size of your window and just velcro it on. the mesh can them be pulled off when you close the window, and the velcro strips stay in place ready for the next time!

here's the link for one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLY-SCREEN-WI ... 4cf8b10947
Barry & The Cressage Rats

Too many over the bridge man!!!

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:10 pm

I have a fly screen on my rat room window, because the window opens inwards I don't have to remove it all the time, plus I leave the window slightly open all year anyway.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

Kim N

Post by Kim N » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Where would be a good cheap place to buy them in a shop? I would love to get them for every window and we have loads! I am battling wasps in my house constantly! :-?

catz

Post by catz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Hey I hate flies just as much as you but its hard to find something safe to use around animals. This works extremely well. You need a jar or tall glass, put some white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar, orange juice, wine) and a squirt of dish washing soap. Cover the lid with cling film and poke in a few holes. The flies will go and cant get out. Cleared our whole kitchen of flies in a day. :D

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Kim N wrote:Where would be a good cheap place to buy them in a shop? I would love to get them for every window and we have loads! I am battling wasps in my house constantly! :-?
Mine came from somewhere like poundland years ago.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

Muddiwarx

Post by Muddiwarx » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Google ZONK

Well worth the money and one refill will last about a year if you turn it off at night
Julie and the pets
Manchester, UK
http://www.muddiwarx.co.uk

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Muddiwarx wrote:Google ZONK

Well worth the money and one refill will last about a year if you turn it off at night
Do you mean Konk?
If so, with it being an Aerosol would it be okay to use with rats in the room?
I've been meaning to get a net for so long, I want to be able leave my window open of a night without huge moths attacking me in my sleep :lol:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

msmara

Post by msmara » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Haha, Ernie that's funny. I don't mind moths, but my girlfriend is petrified of them, and also of daddy longlegs & she woke up a few mornings ago with a daddy longlegs on her & almost killed herself as she ran tripped & somehow managed to fall & hit the fishtank & the rat cage!! haha
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Flox

Post by Flox » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Ugh, we have a terrible fly problem at the moment. I've cleaned every(one) I own, but they're still there - big, nasty bluebottles. It makes me feel so grimy! The boy doesn't mind swatting them, but I get really squicky about that - another reason I wouldn't want fly paper, or anything that's going to leave little fly corpses around the place. I might try the jam jar trick - at least I can just drop the jar in the bin without looking in it :o

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 pm

msmara wrote:and also of daddy longlegs
-shudders-

Oh god :o
I hate them so much.
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

HannahJ82

Post by HannahJ82 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:15 pm

So glad someone has posted about this. My rat room is my lounge and horrid little flying beasties are always hanging around. A friend nearby has the same problem with her bedroom which is where her ferret lives.

I do like the sound of the velcro fly screens, I was hoping for something preventative rather than horrid fly strips or something equally mean. And now I too can keep the effing moths out. I hate them! And daddy long legs... all unco-ordinated and flimsy :roll:
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 am

My living room seems to be a rest stop for all forms of flying insects. I find it quite ammusing, my dog chases them, does a pretty good job of catching most, then spits them out looking confused.

My bedroom where the small fuzzies live, well I haven't seen any flying friends in there recently. Either it smells so bad even they don't want to come in (is clean out day today), maybe the rats are eating them....or the dog gets them before they make it that far. Whatever it is I'm happy.

Gabby

Post by Gabby » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 pm

One word: silverfish

*shudder*
The cartoon adventures of the Rodent Rebels http://www.rodentrebels.com
Love from Cosmo, Digby, Qixl, Tesla, Mungo and Alan http://www.vermin-realm.com
Bow down to me for I am Gabby, ender of threads!