Meshing Marchiro Tommy T3?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Svenja

Meshing Marchiro Tommy T3?

Post by Svenja » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:41 pm

I recently bought a Marchiro Tommy T3 second hand as it was only £40 and it was advertised as a rat cage. I thought it sounded like a great deal so I (stupidly) didn't do any research before buying it. I've now been told by numerous people that the spacing is going to be too wide for girl rats. I'm not 100% sure what the spacing is, I've read anything from 18mm to 25mm! I'll have to measure it myself when it arrives tomorrow. This is the cage:

I've bought a Savic Freddy 2 as a replacement, which is okay, but it's so much smaller. This isn't a massive issue as I'll only be keeping 2 (tops 3) girls in the cage, I just like the idea of them having as much space as possible to play in.

I'm just wondering whether you guys think it would be worth meshing the Tommy T3? I have never meshed a cage before, but my boyfriend and his dad have plenty of experience and have very kindly offered to do it for me. Is it worth meshing or do you think it will just be too much hassle? The other question I have is what kind of mesh should I use? I've heard that galvanised metal is poisonous to rats, so I'm just wondering whether there is anything else I should watch out for.

snaisby

Re: Meshing Marchiro Tommy T3?

Post by snaisby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 pm

How much do your girlies weigh? I know i've seen people use Tommys for girls before, according to google the bar spacing is just under 1 inch so i would wait til you get it and pop your girls in it supervised for a while, see whether they can actually squeeze out. £40 is a bargain for that cage!

I wasn't aware of an issue with galvanised mesh, other than it will probs get rusty and stinky after a while. However for the expense of buying enough mesh (i'm guessing you'd need a whole roll) and the amount of hassle it might be worth selling it on for a bit more money and getting a secondhand Toweror similar?

For some reason the Tommy in the pic has the top wire section in the middle?? It's supposed to be set up like this, just so you're aware!

If you do decide to mesh it pics are a must :) pics are a must anyway tbh :wink: good luck :luck:
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

Svenja

Post by Svenja » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

I haven't got the girlies yet, they're 2 rescue rats both 6 months old, so they might be okay in the cage.

You know I can't even find where I read the thing about galvanised metal ... maybe it was complete nonsense. Just thought I'd better check before I go meshing the cage with something harmful. Will definitely post pictures if I do decide to go ahead with the mesh 8)

Ah, that's a good point about the cost of the mesh, I hadn't even checked. It will probably cost a lot to mesh the whole lot, won't it? That was my other plan ... selling it on and buying a different tower.

Thanks for the advice about the set-up, the photo is just the one from the ad. I'm not looking forward to putting it together, apparently it's a bit complicated ... will probably take me a day to get it set up, I'll be needing the luck! :roll:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 am

I used to have this cage for my lads and it was a very good cage, I assembled without the middle bases as it gave them more climbing room. Bar spacing is more like 0.18 than 0.25 between the bars and I had 6 week baby boys (at around 200 g in there with no escapes. You may need a spare cage for baby girls though.

If you do need to mesh it you could mesh one section temporarily whilst your girls grow. You can also get plastic coated wire mesh if your worried.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

daffee

Post by daffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 am

When our boys lived in one none of our girls could get in (we tested before letting them free-range) so you may be ok :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Svenja

Post by Svenja » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Ah, thanks for the comments :dumbogirly: (haha, I love those little smilies).

The cage has arrived at my flat but I'm still back at my boyfriend's parents' house at the moment. I'm heading back to mine later on tonight so I'll attempt to put it together and have a look at the spacing. The girls arrive on Saturday at my boyfriend's parents', which is where the Freddy 2 is, so they'll be in there for a few weeks anyway :D

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi...Back in 1703 :rollred: I had a Tommy 62Q with the same bar spacing for two girls . I covered it with plastic mesh form B&Q while they were little but once fully grown they were fine and I removed it...I loved that cage !!!! :D

I attached it with garden cable ties and got along fine !! Good luck ! :luck:
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

Svenja

Post by Svenja » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Ah, it's definitely good to hear that there are people out there who have successfully housed girls in this cage :smileyrat:

The cage looks brilliant! I didn't have time to put it together yesterday, but I did take a photo of the spacing (one in inches and onc in cm). I've also included a photo of how large the base is compared to my chest of drawers.

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Brilliant cage....good luck ! I`m sure your girls will love it !! :D
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Remember you don't need to put all the middle bases in, it makes a far better cage in my eyes when used like that. Here's a few set ups (2 biggest sections only) to give you an idea.

Jemma
Muse rattery

Svenja

Post by Svenja » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Ahhh, Jemma, your cage is amazing :D :love:

That's definitely some good inspiration! I think I'll set mine up in a similar way.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks :oops: , though the poor cage got abandoned in favor of my srs lol. Wilkinsons cat litter trays are the perfect width for the tommy and far better than the shelves you get with it.
Jemma
Muse rattery