Scared of lego?!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
emily84

Scared of lego?!

Post by emily84 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 am

So I was trying to think of new things to give the boys to do out of the cage and thought I know, lego!! Fun for me and for them, or so I thought!

So onto ebay I went and brought a *huge* 3.5kg box of mixed lego and the OH and I spent literally hours sat on the floor with numb bums (lego's not as fun as I remember!) building the ultimate ratty playhouse to go in the spare room. It is pretty awesome, it has levels, spinny things etc and is big enough that they could both get in a climb around, poke their heads out of windows etc; that was my plan anyway.

Problem is, they are terrified of it!!

I thought at first they just need to get used to it, but it's not happening. They venture towards it then come running straight back to me, hiding in my jumper etc or if nowhere on me to hide they kind of jump and throw themselves into me trying to get away!

We wondered could it be the colours? I know they don't have great eyesight, maybe it looks really freaky to them? Could it be the way it smells?

Anyone else has this with lego??
Emily & 2 little boys - Percy (cheeky trouble maker!) and Ricky (cheeky trouble follower!)

ErnieG!

Re: Scared of lego?!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:01 am

I would imagine it will be the smell, or just the fact that its new.
if you keep to it, they should be fine with it soon :D

And because it sounds so awesome, any pictures by any chance? 8)
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

annc

Post by annc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 am

If it is the smell, could you rub it with something they like, so it smells familiar!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

emily84

Post by emily84 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:24 am

Pic here:

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n50 ... e/Lego.jpg

You can't really see the size, but it's big! Has 3 levels and lots of windows dotted around. The red bit on the side spins rounds.

I will keep trying, just feel a bit mean doing it when they seem so scared!
Emily & 2 little boys - Percy (cheeky trouble maker!) and Ricky (cheeky trouble follower!)

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:56 am

Rats a naturally scared of new objects in a familer place (it's a useful defence mechanism). Try taking the rats plus amazing multicoloured castle into a new room there not used to and intorducing them to it there. It may make a difference. Failing that just leave it in there usueal free range area for a while until it becomes familier, adding some food near or on it will help tempt them to explore.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 pm

that looks fab, i really wish i still had my lego now :D
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

That's ace! I hope they learn to love your hard work on their behalf

Perhaps they're scared 'cos they know how much it hurts when you stand on it with no shoes/slippers on......although I guess that's just as a human!
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 pm

I'd go for a combination of what Jemma/ Nicky have said. I used to make hamsters houses out of lego/ duplo (not done rat ones due to size difference) and I tended to not have a 'floor as such, although depending on the individual going up on the roof was still fun. It did take a bit of time though - I found best results were where it was just treated like any other new free range toy :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

ancient-crone

Post by ancient-crone » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am

When my son wa younger he used to play with a playmobile castle, and the rats we had then loved it. :D
Never built them anthing from lego before.
Treacle, Mocha, Patches, Snug, Blot, Buttercup, Pinch, Frodo, Berkley and Gimli
Cookie, Abelard, Bhoot, Kato, Ratchet, Satchmo, Widget, Hubert, Tomberley, Bumble Bee, Optimus Prime, Cosmo, Nibbly, Rasselas :halo:

xxzeezeexx

Post by xxzeezeexx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am

NickyE wrote:That's ace! I hope they learn to love your hard work on their behalf

Perhaps they're scared 'cos they know how much it hurts when you stand on it with no shoes/slippers on......although I guess that's just as a human!
Mental image of rats with slippers on now...
Stop the world, I want to get off!
My big little boys:Fudge, Cocoa, Rafael and Leonardo. RIP Badger, Bear, Hamster and Buffy, miss you loads.
Conversation killer-I join a discussion and everyone else stops responding.