Number of rats/ wheels

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
acapae_wolf

Number of rats/ wheels

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Just idly pondering here. People with groups who use wheels in the cage, at what number of rats do you feel you need to add a 2nd wheel?

I totally get that it depends on the individuals in question and how much the first wheel is used, but broadly. In a few weeks mine (now a group of 8!) will get a 2nd weel for a good few months until the next new additions claim it...
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

daffee

Re: Number of rats/ wheels

Post by daffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:36 pm

We've only ever had the 1 wheel and it's never been an issue. :girly:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

redrach

Post by redrach » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:19 pm

I only have a wheel for my 4 girls, they've never really fought over it. One uses it almost constantly, one ocassionally when the other isn't on, and the other two aren't interested. My boys had one too, but none of them ever got on it. So I guess it just depends.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:27 pm

I have got one wheel to 7 rats and have had 3 in it at one time. My older girl was running backwards :lol: I know if I got another they would still all want to be in the same one. Just like they do with hammocks :roll:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:27 pm

I have always had one wheel in my cage, either a wodent wheel or silent spinner (depending on my mood) this is pretty much regardless of how much they use it, which wasn’t really much to be honest. My group has never got above 6 so far and considering the use that seemed fine. However I thought I would try putting both wheels in recently to see which they preferred. Different rats used different wheels, the babies loving the silent spinner and my oldies liking a slow trot on the wodent wheel. I’ve decided from no on to have both wheels in, I have the space and so far it seems to be encouraging use. I think though in my case it’s the 2 different wheels that make the difference not the fact that there are 2 of them. Though they do also like the fact one is at the top and the other at the bottom, I’ve caught my new wheel nutter Astreaus run on one, leap off, dash up the cage and run on the other.

I would say in your case Beri you’re going to have a massive cage so you’ll have the space, plus having girls I expect there more active wheel runners anyway. Just worth keeping your eyes peeled for a nice cheap spare, and maybe think about trying a different type like I have. They might like it too.

Now my question, I have 2 wheels in the cage of two different types, I do also have a flying saucer wheel lieing around, do you think it’s worth me popping this in to see wht they think. It does take up valuable floor space which I need for baby pinging and scatter feeding?
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:36 pm

None lol mine just look at them like it's a freak piece of plastic I've put in to spy on them I think lol

One of the baby boys used it for about 3 secs then thought about and realised that he would have to do exercise and never looked at it again
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 pm

lamb wrote:I know if I got another they would still all want to be in the same one. Just like they do with hammocks :roll:
Haha, good point lol!
daffee wrote:We've only ever had the 1 wheel and it's never been an issue. :girly:
What's the most you've had in a group? I'm not really thinking in terms of sharing a single wheel being an issue, just at what point numbers-wise people have decided to offer more than one. Same sort of thinking regarding giving more than 1 or two of any other cage accessory :)
Jemma wrote:I’ve caught my new wheel nutter Astreaus run on one, leap off, dash up the cage and run on the other
The mice used to do that :lol:
Jemma wrote:I would say in your case Beri you’re going to have a massive cage so you’ll have the space, plus having girls I expect there more active wheel runners anyway. Just worth keeping your eyes peeled for a nice cheap spare, and maybe think about trying a different type like I have. They might like it too.
Sian's got a 2nd WW for me which they'll get when I move up - I did mention them getting 2nd wheel in the OP :wink: It is obviously still a WW though, but I asked Sian to keep it for me more with the boys in mind, my preferences, at that point in time not planning on having 8 girls, and how hard it is to get hold of them 2nd hand.

So they'll get the 2nd one anyway probably until the boys come along. But that's a good point about different brands/ styles! At one point with the 10 mice I had 3 wheels in the cage, but they were all different. I think there was a FSW, Savic rolly, Savic classic (aka wheelhat lol) mostly. And then I also had an olde style crittertrail one, a Superpet comfort wheel and the SS. And favourite did vary depending on the individual and their mood actually. Hmmm.

I think you should try and see what the rats think of the FSW. I considered it when I was looking for a WW, but didn't want to go for it when hardly anyone else had tried them for rats (this was when they only just appeared). Dunno if the dimensions work with the rat one, but with the mouse FSW I stuck it on a shelf, melted a hole in the base plastic, and tied it on with wire so it didn't fall off the shelf. Often, depending, it would take up pretty much all of the shelf, but that didn't seem to matter so long as there was an easy get on/ off point.
Last edited by acapae_wolf on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:01 pm

I have alot of young, feisty and lively girls in my explorer. They have a silent spinner and they love it. I am contemplating getting another one when I extend my explorer. I think it'd eat up alot of space in my current explorer =/ x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:24 pm

How many does Amzy? Giving mine 2 wheels isn't happening till they're installed in the explorer - no way would I be considering it re space and things in the long chin. I wonder how Jemma does it, although I guess that is with only 4 rats.... Jemma, layout photo(s) with 2 wheels please! :lol: :D
*~~Beri~~*

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:17 pm

I use the big Wodent Wheel when they free range or in the playpen -find the older boys like a slow plod -amazing how many can fit -up to 3 adults until they relise you all need to go the same way -Polly likes to try the on top method while it is going round :o
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:27 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:How many does Amzy? Giving mine 2 wheels isn't happening till they're installed in the explorer - no way would I be considering it re space and things in the long chin. I wonder how Jemma does it, although I guess that is with only 4 rats.... Jemma, layout photo(s) with 2 wheels please! :lol: :D
You'll be amazed, I actually now have pics lol.

You can see the black wodent wheel at the top and the silent spinner at the bottom.

Got some more pics around the layout if you want. The width of the cage does help, that and not having shelves.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:How many does Amzy? Giving mine 2 wheels isn't happening till they're installed in the explorer - no way would I be considering it re space and things in the long chin. I wonder how Jemma does it, although I guess that is with only 4 rats.... Jemma, layout photo(s) with 2 wheels please! :lol: :D
14. Hoping to expand to a triple explorer in the near future and I want to take out one of the levels *gets excited*

I know what you mean about the long chin, I've got the half sized one.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:26 pm

I used to have two when i had the girls as I was sick of the argments :) . There was still arguing though as the green wheel was apparently better :roll:
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

msmara

Post by msmara » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:20 am

I have 14 bucks (well, 12 permanently, 2 visitors now & again due to health) in my explorer currently and only about 4 of them are interested in the wheel, and 2 of the insist on trying to run at the same time in opposite directions - something my mice used to do! I doubt I'd give them another wheel, but if two or so more did use it then I'd definitely think about getting a second.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:23 am

I bought a wheel when i got my first pair of rats! And ive now had 10 rats in total, and none of them are interested in the wheel at all! :roll:

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx