Levels for an Explorer? Any suggestions?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Julie_Ann

Levels for an Explorer? Any suggestions?

Post by Julie_Ann » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi there,

I have a Liberta Explorer cage that I got second hand BUT it didn't come with the two smaller shelves or ramps. I'd really love to have the extra floor space that these shelves provide but I can't think of a suitable alternative. I'm using baskets and hammocks which are great; although I would like something more substantial.

Does anyone know where I can buy replacement levels?

I have thought about using wooden shelves but they will pee on them and make it stiiiink. I also used the (Ferplast, I think) plastic corner shelves. . . but they just pee and poop on them, leaving a lovely mush for me to clean in the morning! They work - although they are not ideal. I'm going back to basics with toilet training since I now have some younger ones who haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I took the shelves out and they toilet training is coming along well, so I think the shelves just encourage them to poop up high. I was thinking that if I have big enough levels, then I could put a litter tray up there and it would be a lot easier to clean.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Julie

p.s. I'm really new to this site - and I've never actually used a forum before - so if there's any hints/tips that you can throw in about how to use this site, I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you!
x

secretpennell

Re: Levels for an Explorer? Any suggestions?

Post by secretpennell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm afraid they poo and pee on the Explorer shelves too. :lol:
I only use mine occasionally. Most of the time I cable tie or hang those plastic trays that greengrocers have - and I put a layer of substrate in them so they don't get mucky.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:15 pm

my lot have two litter trays one at the top and one at the botom of the cage that way the lazy bones dont have to go all the way to the bottom to use the loo.this works great for poops........none of mine poop on the shelves ( i have taken out the ones that come with the explorer and use ferplast corner ones).they pee mostly in their bed.......on the shredded paper...........or in their hammocks :rollred: ....they do go wee on the shelves occasionally but mostly its in the hammocks when sleeping.

i have some very nifty litter trays tht clip on and off of have screw fixings so they can be fixed to the cage bars without needing to sit on a shelf so they work very well for me..i got the particular litter trays from Jolleys..i've not seen any other litter trays any where else with the same fixings.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Floor space isn't something I worry about too much...

Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 pm

I have 4 spare shelves if you would like them. £30 the lot (+postage if you live miles away)

Kim N

Post by Kim N » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 pm

I use the Ferplast shelves upside down. They have just enough of a lip that I can put substrate in and it helps immensely! Just wish I could stop them peeing in their hammocks! :-?

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Kim N wrote:I use the Ferplast shelves upside down. They have just enough of a lip that I can put substrate in and it helps immensely! :-?
Ooh what an exciting idea!
That's my project for tomorrow then. :lol:
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

toyah

Post by toyah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 am

Kim N wrote:I use the Ferplast shelves upside down. They have just enough of a lip that I can put substrate in and it helps immensely!
This has blown my mind.
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com

Julie_Ann

Post by Julie_Ann » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

Someone is kindly posting me a pair of shelves that they don't use (thanks anyway Lilyland!).

I'm hoping that the shelves will be bigger than the Ferplast ones so that I can have some extra room for a litter tray so that my lazy males won't have to go down a level to got to the toilet. I liked the idea of the greengrocers tray, thanks ScattieMcRattie - I may resort to that if the shelves don't work out! (I live in Scotland and I don't think we get Jolleys pet stores here for those other tray things you mentioned).

I thought about turning the Ferplast shelves upside down! But, mine have little ridges which I thought may be a bit uncomfortable to walk on and the ridges are just extra places for the poo/pee mush to gather in! Maybe my shelves aren't real Ferplast ones - I acquired them years ago so they might even be like an older version (does that even exist?). Ha ha! The peeing in the hammocks is a nightmare! I have to change them every few days. I don't even understand why they pee in their beds - they are supposed to be clean wee animals! Lol :) Maybe it keeps them warm or something. . ..

I really like your cage RattyRenton, I was wondering where you got the ropes and how you attached them to you cage? My younger males love galloping around the cage playing chase, so I think they would like the extra floor space, but maybe when they are older (and lazier) I will decrease floor space and increase climbing materials!

Thanks again everyone!

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

toyah wrote:
Kim N wrote:I use the Ferplast shelves upside down. They have just enough of a lip that I can put substrate in and it helps immensely!
This has blown my mind.
Me too!
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Kim N

Post by Kim N » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:51 pm

RCTlisa wrote:
toyah wrote:
This has blown my mind.
Me too!
It works really well for us. There are ridges but filled with the cardboard bedding they are covered and must not be uncomfortable as the rats tend to hang out and sleep more on them then they do the hammocks. I'm not sure if they aren't peeing there or the bedding just keeps it under control but there is no sludgy build up under the cardboard bedding at all and I only wash them out every couple of weeks as they just don't need it every week at cage cleaning time. Seems they do most of their peeing in the hammocks. :roll:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:25 pm

I think I'd be more than happy in not having the little shelves as it would mean I didn't have to store them away for ebing useless :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on