Shopping trip to B&Q! (Home made toys)

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Svenja

Shopping trip to B&Q! (Home made toys)

Post by Svenja » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 am

I'm going to go on a shopping trip to B&Q later on to find some bits and bobs to make rat toys with :D

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should buy/make?

Or, equally, is there anything I should stay away from when making toys?

malude

Re: Shopping trip to B&Q! (Home made toys)

Post by malude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:44 am

I (inspired by rattypetrolhead :wink: ) have just bought a couple if deep rectangular plastic potting tray thingies. They're about 35cm long and 15cm wide and 15cm deep. I have cable tied one on to the cage bars and then slotted the other one inside that and filled it with substrate with a bit of food buried at the bottom to make a little digging tray for them. That way you can take out the inner one to clean easily, leaving the bottom one cable tied in place. Tate is burying himself in there as I write this! :D
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:45 am

malude wrote:I (inspired by rattypetrolhead :wink: ) have just bought a couple if deep rectangular plastic potting tray thingies. They're about 35cm long and 15cm wide and 15cm deep. I have cable tied one on to the cage bars and then slotted the other one inside that and filled it with substrate with a bit of food buried at the bottom to make a little digging tray for them. That way you can take out the inner one to clean easily, leaving the bottom one cable tied in place. Tate is burying himself in there as I write this! :D
Thats a fab idea! May have to use that one - well done Rattypetrolhead!
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

Julie_Ann

Post by Julie_Ann » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:39 am

Maybe you could get some tumble dryer tubing/duct - it's quite cheap and it's big enough for even the fattest of rats!

I just saw this on their website - it looks like it comes with some sort of box/rat hide-away too :)

http://www.diy-spares.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=759605

I bought the same tubing from Focus, and my ratties love running through it! I also cut it up and used the sections to connect cardboard boxes (but you will have to use electrical tape/duct tape to cover the edges of the sections you cut because the metal wire will poke out after you cut it).

Just make sure they don't chew it, and I think it's safe enough (hopefully I've not missed the "Tumble Dryer Ducting Causes Death in Rats" post :P)

Happy rat shopping!

Svenja

Post by Svenja » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions :D

Here's what I ended up getting:

- rope braided and hung across the cage
- flat tape/rope stuff twisted into another bridge/climby thing
- plank of wood, put across the cage just below the blue shelf as a secret walkway/hiding place
- Drain pipes, one on the floor, one long one tie wrapped quite low, one in a top corner

I got so many ideas whilst I was there, definitely going to be back to get more toy supplies :smileyrat:

Here are some photos: