Freeranging 2 groups at same time

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
AnnieD

Freeranging 2 groups at same time

Post by AnnieD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:30 pm

I have a correx playpen that I use to free range. Due to failed intros I have two groups of males - a 3 and a 2. It would be help to me to be able to free range both at the same time. Does anyone do this? If I managed to somehow divide the playpen would they be distracted by the other groups smell and try to get to them? Its only smallish so I don't know how I'd do it but it's an idea I'm working on.....
Anne
Tag, Che, Hachi, Toby & JJ :love:

:rainbow: Teeko now playing at the bridge xxx

AnnieD

Free range question

Post by AnnieD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Due to failed intro's I've two small groups of 3 and 2 (males)

Currently free range separately.

I've been reading old threads on the forum where people free range rats together that don't live together. How is this possible? Surely it's like an intro?

By the way I would like to get my group together as 1 at some point. Will try when a little older and hormones ceased a bit.

I've a small play pen which I'd love to divide somehow so boys could come out as 2 groups but at same time. But if I split it I won't fit in it!!

Note: thread merged with your others on the same subject, please do not start multiple topics or cross post in other areas of the forum because this causes confusion and repetition.
Anne

flash-gordonette

Re: Free range question

Post by flash-gordonette » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I think it depends on the rats :) I had two groups who could spend hours together no problems, but you could guarantee that if left with each other for 24 hours, someone would end up with a deep gash and blood everywhere!
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

KateR

Re: Freeranging 2 groups at same time

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 am

We used to divide the rat room in 2 with correx and freerange at the same time. Use something that bends so you can bend the bottom along the floor to prevent noses poking intot he other side.

Now we have managed to get our 2 groups to freerange together which makes life so much easier. There is the odd scuffle but nothign serious.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

lamb

Post by lamb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Why have I never thought to do this :roll: I free range in the conservatory 3 groups one after the other. Taking me 3 hours! If I split the room I could get to bed before midnight :)

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:21 pm

I think it depends on space - I wouldn't split a small space as it reduces the amount they can explore. Splitting a big space is less of an issue - you do what an unclimable / jumpable barrier though!
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

AnnieD

What's the best option......

Post by AnnieD » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 pm

To free range a group of 3 and a group of 2 :

at the same time by splitting my playpen in half?
Pros - more time as both groups out together
Cons - I won't fit in playpen so just them and toys etc and not that much room

Or free range one group at a time in a larger playpen
Pros - I fit in too. More rat / human interaction
Cons - less time if both groups out on 1 night or everyother night ie 3 one night 2 the next

Cld do a combination of both with a bit of messing with the correx ( not ideal )

Note: merged with your existing topic, and moved to habitat since it is no longer about mixing the groups.
Anne

Toribob

Re: What's the best option......

Post by Toribob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:28 pm

I am not sure of the best option for you. But, on the rare occasion our boys were free ranged our boys in a playpen on their own they hated it because they wanted to play with us, and were constantly trying to jump out. We only do this when I am at work as the boyfriend won't sit and play with them like I do.

My two groups currently come out one after the other on the spare bed. This usually lasts 3-5 hours altogether, as I play with them for a while and then let them get on with it while i study.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Tbh, if we're talking about a space so small you can't sit in it with them, I'd say it's too small for free-range - rats need the oppotunity to bounce about a bit, run, bunny hop, explore new things etc. So unless we're talking very very short times out for each group separately, I wouldn't split it.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:19 pm

KateR wrote:We used to divide the rat room in 2 with correx and freerange at the same time. Use something that bends so you can bend the bottom along the floor to prevent noses poking intot he other side.

Now we have managed to get our 2 groups to freerange together which makes life so much easier. There is the odd scuffle but nothign serious.
Kate, I would love to have all my rats out playing together who don't live together. Any tips?
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats