Rat bedding in South Wales

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Luinecu

Rat bedding in South Wales

Post by Luinecu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Hiya :D

For all of you in South Wales, especially Swansea, where do you get your rat bedding? I've been using a combination of hemp, flax and cardboard horse beddings for a few years, but have always ended up ordering online at a huge shipping cost. I would far rather collect it from where ever myself :wink:

Cheers!
- Sophie x x o

:hearts: Jayne, Doyle, Alex, Johnathan, Wash, Eric & Bill :love:

drear

Re: Rat bedding in South Wales

Post by drear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm

im in southwales !, swansea too!

petsathome said to use kitty litter for the whole cage, its this weird recycled paper nugget stuff, but its great, soft and absorbant.

for other bedding they do pet freindly cottonwool stuff, and paper straw.
ive also been tearing apart toilet rolls for some extra bedding.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:40 pm

I personally don't think anything P@H sells is suitable for rats. Have you looked to see if there's a horse/farm shop around near you? Otherwise the only place is online unfortunately.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

drear

Post by drear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:05 pm

is there any reason for that rhi01 ?

ive found their pet supplies are the same as any other store in wales, they sell similar stuff to places like wayveil and other garden centres, or smaller pet supply shops in swansea centre

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:10 pm

drear wrote:is there any reason for that rhi01 ?

ive found their pet supplies are the same as any other store in wales, they sell similar stuff to places like wayveil and other garden centres, or smaller pet supply shops in swansea centre
Most beddings marketed as "small pet bedding" isn't actually suitable for rats (and I wouldn't keep any other small pets on it either). P@H sell paper pellet litter which is scented (biocatolet) which is unsuitable along with the wood pellet litter. I think they now stock Back to Nature but it's very expensive. As far as substrate goes (what goes on the floor of the cage) the only suitable one is Carefresh which again is very expensive in comparison to the large bales of hemp or cardboard bedding you get at horse supply places.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:12 pm

drear wrote:is there any reason for that rhi01 ?

Its either unsuitable for rats in terms of dust, their wooden pellets disintergrate so are unsuitable, or much more expensive than other places. Thats ignoring the ethics surrounding buying from petshops :love:

ETA: Beaten to it! :lol:
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Rhian and Rowan both beat me to it :)
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

drear

Post by drear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:29 pm

ah thanks (: i hadnt realised,
i got my rattys and the lady in the shop was praising the paper pellets :( ill be getting some straw as the guide shows, cant belive i missed that .

if thats the case, theres a horse and farm shop just before portalbot, near the trainstation, i always pass it, so it might be a useful palce to look

MrsSetters

Post by MrsSetters » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I use Caths Farm Shop in Trelewis, just down the road from me. They sell bales of Aubiose for £9 plus Vat. Where in Swansea are you? Do you ever come down Cardiff way? I'd happily pick you one up if we could meet somewhere and hand it over!
Lola :girly: Paris :baby: Juno :dumbobaby: Cressida :dumbobaby:
Emmy and Ruby, playing forever at the Bridge, run free my gorgeous girls.
Dharma and Morgan, cats extraordinaire.