Joining explorers together - Single level!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
MIMousery
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by MIMousery » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm

I rpobably could but in my expeirence, chicken wire/mesh gets dead gucky very fast and is a bit of a pain to clean. Is a potential idea though should all else fail :)

User avatar
HannahJ82
Member
Member
Posts: 1185
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Cirencester, Glos.

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by HannahJ82 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't see why one of the sections can't just a panel of plastic or wood on the bottom, or even a tarpaulin. Presumably both sections will be on the floor so what's the problem? The trays will stop substrate and rats getting to the floor underneath.
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

MIMousery
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by MIMousery » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 pm

HannahJ82 wrote:I don't see why one of the sections can't just a panel of plastic or wood on the bottom, or even a tarpaulin. Presumably both sections will be on the floor so what's the problem? The trays will stop substrate and rats getting to the floor underneath.
Heya

Like I said before, I'm just gonna have a bit bit of bathroom vinyl underneath the trays, then 2 galvanised steel trays. The cages will be on the floor so there'll be no way for them to get out and it means I only have need for 2 ceiling pieces :) I could potentially put chicken mesh underneath the trays but tbh I don't see much point for it as it'd only be to stop escapees, but i'm pretty sure none of the girls could get out from something on the floor :) If they do manage to get anything between the trays, the vinyl will be good so I can just wipe it clean ^_^

User avatar
ScattieMcRattie
Member
Member
Posts: 2131
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Rattingham Palace, Portsmouth.

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:43 pm

looking at my explorer i think it could work but there are going to be a few problem areas where it may weeken the integrity of the cage.

ok so if you start from scratchs and do away with any floor grids (and use them as ceilings) as the cage is going to sit on the floor. you will have a problem as the top level of the explorer has legs that are supposed to slide into the bottom level. so one half will be about 2 inches off te ground.unless a) you cut the legs off so they are both flush on the ground or B) raise the other level off the floor so they are the same hieght........if you raise the level you may be able to get it secure by having an extra deep metal base tray that sits snug in the cage so they still cant get out around it. you could also use planks of wood to put round the outside for extra security.

the second problem i envisage is the join between the two.....you will need to disregard the side panels on the sides that are to join together but this meens that the Roof that slides into the side panels will have no support to stay upright. you could cable tie it all round the back but cable ties on the front will get in the way of the doors. also as the grids are cut to a alllow for the side pannels you may find the two grids dont meet and that oyu have another Gap in the roof of about two inches. again you could get round this by filling the gap with chicken wire or something else like a solid sheet of metal or wood.

the third area that may cause a problem i think will be the doors. as mentioned they screw into the side so if you take away the sides they will have nothing to screw into and may be unsteady without the support....i'm not sure you could cable tie the two doors together side by side as the hinge is there and cable ties will stop the door opening... i think all in all this would make the cage fairly unsound and coupled together with the other issues i'd be worried about escapees or the whole thing collapsing on itself..........

i'm saying all this because i actually thought of doign the same thing so that the cage along the wall sits under my window but i decided against it after thinking all the above.

there is another two options i was not brave enough to do though and that is....if you decide to go the route of cutting off the legs so the cages are level on the ground.it may be worth keeping the side pannels fixxed in place so the both the doors adn the roof have a steady support and either cutting a door into the wire sides so they can pop between the two halves.........or cutting the wire out completely so its open and just keeping the frame to attach the roof and doors......the secnd option i considered to get round some of the problems was to not cut the legs off and also to not actuall join them together as such but sit them next to each other as they are so the hight difference then doesnt matter. then to cut a small door into each side panel and use something like a ferplast tube to join the two halves together........

but i just couldnt bring myself to cut into my explorer so its staying as it is for now.......

even more alternatively you could find some of the single story explorer sstyle cages such as the high rise mammal and feret nation all come in single levels............ or look for a second hand explorer on ebay etc or something and then cutting into it would be so heart breaking
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

MIMousery
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by MIMousery » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:33 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:looking at my explorer i think it could work but there are going to be a few problem areas where it may weeken the integrity of the cage.

ok so if you start from scratchs and do away with any floor grids (and use them as ceilings) as the cage is going to sit on the floor. you will have a problem as the top level of the explorer has legs that are supposed to slide into the bottom level. so one half will be about 2 inches off te ground.unless a) you cut the legs off so they are both flush on the ground or B) raise the other level off the floor so they are the same hieght........if you raise the level you may be able to get it secure by having an extra deep metal base tray that sits snug in the cage so they still cant get out around it. you could also use planks of wood to put round the outside for extra security.

the second problem i envisage is the join between the two.....you will need to disregard the side panels on the sides that are to join together but this meens that the Roof that slides into the side panels will have no support to stay upright. you could cable tie it all round the back but cable ties on the front will get in the way of the doors. also as the grids are cut to a alllow for the side pannels you may find the two grids dont meet and that oyu have another Gap in the roof of about two inches. again you could get round this by filling the gap with chicken wire or something else like a solid sheet of metal or wood.

the third area that may cause a problem i think will be the doors. as mentioned they screw into the side so if you take away the sides they will have nothing to screw into and may be unsteady without the support....i'm not sure you could cable tie the two doors together side by side as the hinge is there and cable ties will stop the door opening... i think all in all this would make the cage fairly unsound and coupled together with the other issues i'd be worried about escapees or the whole thing collapsing on itself..........

i'm saying all this because i actually thought of doign the same thing so that the cage along the wall sits under my window but i decided against it after thinking all the above.

there is another two options i was not brave enough to do though and that is....if you decide to go the route of cutting off the legs so the cages are level on the ground.it may be worth keeping the side pannels fixxed in place so the both the doors adn the roof have a steady support and either cutting a door into the wire sides so they can pop between the two halves.........or cutting the wire out completely so its open and just keeping the frame to attach the roof and doors......the secnd option i considered to get round some of the problems was to not cut the legs off and also to not actuall join them together as such but sit them next to each other as they are so the hight difference then doesnt matter. then to cut a small door into each side panel and use something like a ferplast tube to join the two halves together........

but i just couldnt bring myself to cut into my explorer so its staying as it is for now.......

even more alternatively you could find some of the single story explorer sstyle cages such as the high rise mammal and feret nation all come in single levels............ or look for a second hand explorer on ebay etc or something and then cutting into it would be so heart breaking
Would it work if the bits with the legs were screwed upside down? Can't remember how they fit together, it's been so long since I had one....

User avatar
myzoo
Member
Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: wigan lancashire

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by myzoo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 pm

MIMousery wrote:
ScattieMcRattie wrote:looking at my explorer i think it could work but there are going to be a few problem areas where it may weeken the integrity of the cage.

ok so if you start from scratchs and do away with any floor grids (and use them as ceilings) as the cage is going to sit on the floor. you will have a problem as the top level of the explorer has legs that are supposed to slide into the bottom level. so one half will be about 2 inches off te ground.unless a) you cut the legs off so they are both flush on the ground or B) raise the other level off the floor so they are the same hieght........if you raise the level you may be able to get it secure by having an extra deep metal base tray that sits snug in the cage so they still cant get out around it. you could also use planks of wood to put round the outside for extra security.

the second problem i envisage is the join between the two.....you will need to disregard the side panels on the sides that are to join together but this meens that the Roof that slides into the side panels will have no support to stay upright. you could cable tie it all round the back but cable ties on the front will get in the way of the doors. also as the grids are cut to a alllow for the side pannels you may find the two grids dont meet and that oyu have another Gap in the roof of about two inches. again you could get round this by filling the gap with chicken wire or something else like a solid sheet of metal or wood.

the third area that may cause a problem i think will be the doors. as mentioned they screw into the side so if you take away the sides they will have nothing to screw into and may be unsteady without the support....i'm not sure you could cable tie the two doors together side by side as the hinge is there and cable ties will stop the door opening... i think all in all this would make the cage fairly unsound and coupled together with the other issues i'd be worried about escapees or the whole thing collapsing on itself..........

i'm saying all this because i actually thought of doign the same thing so that the cage along the wall sits under my window but i decided against it after thinking all the above.

there is another two options i was not brave enough to do though and that is....if you decide to go the route of cutting off the legs so the cages are level on the ground.it may be worth keeping the side pannels fixxed in place so the both the doors adn the roof have a steady support and either cutting a door into the wire sides so they can pop between the two halves.........or cutting the wire out completely so its open and just keeping the frame to attach the roof and doors......the secnd option i considered to get round some of the problems was to not cut the legs off and also to not actuall join them together as such but sit them next to each other as they are so the hight difference then doesnt matter. then to cut a small door into each side panel and use something like a ferplast tube to join the two halves together........

but i just couldnt bring myself to cut into my explorer so its staying as it is for now.......

even more alternatively you could find some of the single story explorer sstyle cages such as the high rise mammal and feret nation all come in single levels............ or look for a second hand explorer on ebay etc or something and then cutting into it would be so heart breaking
Would it work if the bits with the legs were screwed upside down? Can't remember how they fit together, it's been so long since I had one....
:lol: lol you beat me too it i was about to suggest that you could turn it on its roof so the legs are sticking in the air not pretty but might be asier than chopping the legs off or balancing the other side that way they would be level
how about a correx roof cable tied down would mean less hanging space but may be easier and ventilation wouldnt be a problem as all sides are well ventilated anyway im sure as well you could poke some sort of hooks through for hanging..
or instead of joining side by side how about back to back to then you could use the spare back panel as a roof and would then have doors on eack side or use the door section for a roof that opens.if that makes sence looking at mine if you did it that way you would only need one back and one front then the spares can be used as roofs.? or is my brain dead its late so excuse me if this is a silly idea :oops:

User avatar
ScattieMcRattie
Member
Member
Posts: 2131
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Rattingham Palace, Portsmouth.

Re: Joining explorers together - Single level!

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:29 am

i hadnt thought of that great idea...............looking at my explorer .......the back panel has the legs so turning that upside down i dont think will be a problem. however, the normal top edge of the back and front panels have drilled holes for the roof grid struts to fit into........if you turn it upside down ther are no holes for the roof to fit into so you will need to cable tie it very securely in place...also you would need to turn the sides upside down too so that the holes line up to fix them together....... but then the side supports for the roof to slide into will be on the floor too......so basically you will have to cable tie or wire the hole roof into place which may or may not be a problem.

The front panel with the doors has the other set of legs.so if you turn it upside down your doors will be upside down and the catch will be upside down so they wont lock shut .but i think it may be easy enough to unscrew the catch and turn them upside down too and screw them back on........also again thout you will need to cable tie the roof on to the front whihc may interfere with the smooth opening of the doors...........


i think its a distinct possibiliy to get the cages level. but as before i worry about the security of the roof the whole thing will need to be very securely cable tied or wired into place.......but with enough wire or cable ties i think you could pull it off. however all my thinking is theoretical but to make absolutely sure you would have to have one and try it out.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests