Pongy dirty at toys

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
LindaLakota

Pongy dirty at toys

Post by LindaLakota » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 pm

I have tried and used and replaced looooooads of rat toys since ive been keeping them and hoping now for a little advice
I generally put in ropes, wooden ladders and toys and i have to replace them constantly because of how dirty they get and how much they pong when they pee all over them! I have tried washing them and it doesnt tend to work.
Anyone have any other ideas on how to either slow the destruction or any suggestions on what else to use that is just as fun but doesnt soak up the tinkle?

MIMousery

Re: Pongy dirty at toys

Post by MIMousery » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:38 pm

Non biological washing powder.... Great at removing smells as it breaks down the components which make up urine (i think). Hammocks here get wahed in it and come out smelling new :)

myzoo

Re: Pongy dirty at toys

Post by myzoo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 pm

:D Plasikoteing wooden ladders and ledges stops pee from soaking in and generally makes them more nibble proof.
for plastics and hammocks i soak in a milton dilute solution then rinse with hot water the milton kills germs you could also add some tee tree oil which is a natural anteseptic ive used both together and seperate.

rope cheap dog ropes as they can be washed or thrown away and it dosent matter if they get wrecked as they are cheap (poundshops)

you can get card carpet tubes from carpet shops pop in and ask usually they will happy for you to take them for free as its less waste for them to disspose of.but the ratties love them you can cut them to whatever size you like.

hope this was of some use for you :D