Can I please have some opinions?...

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
pb632

Can I please have some opinions?...

Post by pb632 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi, been cage hunting, can anybody give me their thoughts on this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RAT-CHINC ... 45f9a717df

How many rats would this hold? Thanks

daffee

Re: Can I please have some opinions?...

Post by daffee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:44 pm

It's too small I'm afraid :(
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 pm

I got the same cage as that on Ebay for £10, but only intended to use as a 'hospital' cage, or for travelling with the rats Daffee is right and it does look bigger in the photo than it actually is. I hope you find a good cage bargain soon though :luck: :)
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:51 pm

If you go to :

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... alculator/

Put in the sizes it will tell you how many rats it can house. Personally i would says its too small for a permenant home but the calc says it will house 2 rats. The other problems with it is all that wood. I have always found that rats + wooden levels = a very chewed and smelly cage.

Have you tried joining freegle or freecycle? I have donated cages before on this and recenly been given a large hamster cgae on this for my babies to help them settle.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

emily97

Post by emily97 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 pm

DO NOT BUY THAT CAGE! I did for one rat before i knew about keeping more than one and cage sizes etc I hated it was to small and a night mare to clean. it's terrible please don't make the same mistake as I did.

I only had one girl in it for a few month then i got rid of that curs of a cage and moved her into a big one with a friend for her.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

pb632

Post by pb632 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Does seem too small, thanks guys, i'll be sure to steer away from that one! Just joined freecycle hopefully I can arrange to swap a bird cage and a few spare hamster cages with somebody!!

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Were abouts are you? I love a good cage hunt! :)
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

pb632

Post by pb632 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm in Caerleon, newport, gwent.

I have managed to get myself a second hand jenny from a girl on my facebook that lives 2 mins away so picking that up tomorrow at 4pm! Cant wait, boy is going in for castration tomorrow if the vet thinks hes in good enough condition to go through with it, if he does have it, shold i put him back into his hamster cage for a few days before introducing him into a big cage with lots of toys??? Thanks x

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:57 pm

pb632 wrote:I'm in Caerleon, newport, gwent.

I have managed to get myself a second hand jenny from a girl on my facebook that lives 2 mins away so picking that up tomorrow at 4pm! Cant wait, boy is going in for castration tomorrow if the vet thinks hes in good enough condition to go through with it, if he does have it, shold i put him back into his hamster cage for a few days before introducing him into a big cage with lots of toys??? Thanks x
Yep, definitely put him back in the hammy cage for a few days to recouperate. He will feel more secure as it's what he's used to and if you give him too much space he may get shy or not have enough rest.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Fab I like Jennys not just the door but they are nice and roomy!

I'd put him back in the hammy cage for a while good luck
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 pm

pb632 wrote:I'm in Caerleon, newport, gwent.

I'd put him in his hamster cage overnight (just so the anaesthetic can wear off), but after that he's better off in a nice sized cage where he can exercsie and explore.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

pb632

Post by pb632 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:35 am

Well hes in his cage now, and he loves his hammock! He'll probs spend alot of time in that as he'll be so tired from actually having some space to play and run around!! How many rats will a jenny hold? as I am hoping to introduce my female to him, at the moment im unsre wether she is pregnant so it wont be for a while until the time has passed that I can be sure shes not! Thanks