This may be a stupid question...but...

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
MissBlackEyeliner

This may be a stupid question...but...

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm buying a new cage on Thursday and will hopefully have it set up Thursday night, its a Ferplast Aria aviary and it says in the cage calculator that it is suitable for 10 rats so would be excellent for my 6 :D

I'm just wondering, when you get a new cage, is it ok if you fill it full of stuff, or do you have to keep it bare and then introduce hammocks and the likes, like when you put a newly introduced group into a cage?

I'm just wondering how to approach it. Dylan is being castrated tomorrow so I'm going to keep an eye on him once I get him home and then see if he can go back in the cage with his other friends but if he has to be separated for a few day, should I introduce them slowly to their new cage?

Thanks

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

smellll

Re: This may be a stupid question...but...

Post by smellll » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Personally I'd just chuck them all in with all the stuff in there! They'll have a great time exploring. The reason people introduce cage furniture slowly after introing a group is to reduce the risk of rats becoming territorial over an item/hiding in somewhere and not interacting properly etc. etc. - in a group that already know each other I'm sure they'll just see it as a big new place to play!

Not sure about Dylan as I don't have any experience with post-op rats
- Mel :)
:hearts: Scarlett, Sheena, Siouxsie, Small, Luna, Ruby & Daisy

Missing Peppa & Diego x

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:15 pm

When I got my explorer I filled it straight away, they were a little daunted at first but were fine. Personally I would keep the newly castrated boy out for a few days so he's not climbing about.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 pm

I'll fill it up straight away then, gonna have to get going making new bigger hammocks and the likes :D
I've had conflicting suggestions, some saying leave him alone for a few days, others saying put him back in :S
And this is my first castration :S How long does it usually take for them to heal? I'm just worried about leaving him along by himself for a few days.
I just dunno what to do :S

xxx
From Erin

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:06 am

Is he going to be going in with boys or girls? If it's girls you have to keep them apart for a little while as he may still have some surviving swimmers. Think it's 2 weeks. If he is going to be living with boys - no problem. Keep him out for a day just to make sure he's not too sore, then pop him in.

I've had a lump removal done on my alpha right in the middle of intros and cause she is a bit sore, she's in with them 6am - bedtime then at bedtime she sleeps in the the carrier incase of scuffles. This means she still remains alpha but without risking fighting while she's not up to it. (i'm in the room from 6am - bedtime so if there ARE scuffles i'm there to split them up)
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 am

What's their current cage? If it's smaller i would clean it thoroughly and put him back in there, either with all of his friends or one nice calm one, until the skin has knitted together nicely. I wouldn't put him straight into an exciting new tall cage.. Try to keep him calm until after his post-op check!
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:40 pm

I'll keep them all in the smaller cage they are in now until he is healed then I'll put them all in the big new one :)
He's home now, hes just going back in with all the other boys, so if hes ok tonight I think I'll put him in so he can sleep with all his friends, hes been alone all day and I feel so guilty.

Thanks for all your replys

xxx
From Erin