FR's atmosphere currently.

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Re: FR's atmosphere currently.

Post by tabirat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 am

toyah wrote:I know that for a long time FR moderation has been done by committee, but to me it's always been one of the main failings of the forum. There is simply no way to do that (bar phoning each other as soon as moderation is potentially needed) without moderation often not being timely, and untimely moderation can often be as bad as none at all.

Sorry. I hope none of the mods take this as offensive, but while I've never been the most active poster on this forum (there are people on this forum for twenty minutes with higher post counts than I've racked up in what, nine years?) I've always been supportive of it and I feel it's a fantastic resource. I just think that the moderators should man up and make their own decisions, we all trust you ;-)
I think this is quite pertinent actually and perhaps feels more possible now that the admin team is small and more of 'one mind'. The main reason we have always moderated by committee is to try to avoid personal bias and maintain an overall consistency in moderation, but this is more of an issue with a big team. This still doesnt overcome the problems created by the circumstances of personal lives and I can envisage a situation where all modding was left to one person for extended periods. This might not be an issue as far as fairness on members goes but it's definitely an issue for the poor mod!
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am

tabirat wrote: I think this is quite pertinent actually and perhaps feels more possible now that the admin team is small and more of 'one mind'. The main reason we have always moderated by committee is to try to avoid personal bias and maintain an overall consistency in moderation, but this is more of an issue with a big team.
I must say this current moderating team is the one I feel fits in the best with regards to the ethics of the forum. I don't think I'd be comfortable having a huge moderating team, I've been a member on some forums where there has been more mods than actual 'normal' members (perhaps a little exaggeration, but it felt that way!).

I really hope tabi, that you you didn't think I started this thread to poke at the mods, I honestly didn't. I'm just a bit down, well was, with lots of complaining from members about being bullied, people complaining about being targeted, the increase in ridiculous posts, where a quick visit to the forum rules (which all embers should do when joining any forum) and I found the atmosphere overtly negative, when it doesn't have to be. FR has a great support structure, both for rats and their humans. As people mentioned earlier, the mental health support thread is one of those things. I see FR as being a bigger community that that of 'just' rat owners.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:29 pm

philosophyfox wrote:
tabirat wrote: I think this is quite pertinent actually and perhaps feels more possible now that the admin team is small and more of 'one mind'. The main reason we have always moderated by committee is to try to avoid personal bias and maintain an overall consistency in moderation, but this is more of an issue with a big team.
I must say this current moderating team is the one I feel fits in the best with regards to the ethics of the forum.
Just wanted to add that I too really like the way the mods individually and as a team work on here and also feel that I and all of us really can trust you to act responcibly and without bias and all that stuff. I've never seen a reason to object to any of the moderating I've seen on here and that's one of the many things that make this such a good forum :luck:
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 pm

I honestly read this thread and was sincerely motivated to actively try and take things in better more positive light but this thread is REALLY DOING MY HEAD IN http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... &sk=t&sd=a - fair enough I should just stop reading it... I'm just frustrated that as soon as I'm cheered up by one thing in this place something else like that comes along and winds me up again no matter how zen like I try to be! :roll:

Note: If you feel a thread is problematic, please use the report function to highlight it.
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

Elizabeth13

Post by Elizabeth13 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Oh my. What a thread that one is!

Okay.. That's the first thread I have now read which resembles what this thread has been about.
Oh dear me. I must admit, I have my opinion with that thread (which I may or may not post in response to), and I especially have some views and opinions on some of the things said by some people on that. However, I am going to keep those thoughts to myself. No sense in making that situation any worse.

(My attempts at being calm?? Me?? The most worrying rat owner of them all??!! :lol: )
Owned by: :love: Alfa & Kai :love:

Waiting at the Bridge: :rainbow: Jonesy :rainbow:

Athena

Post by Athena » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:57 am

People need to understand Fr is a forum not just an information service. There are going to be emptive responses to some topics. Just as you shouldn't take advice here instead of seeing a vet, you shouldn't take anything too heart. The internet provides a certain anonymity so you must expect online replies to be different to real life!
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:48 am

Athena wrote:People need to understand Fr is a forum not just an information service. There are going to be emptive responses to some topics. Just as you shouldn't take advice here instead of seeing a vet, you shouldn't take anything too heart. The internet provides a certain anonymity so you must expect online replies to be different to real life!
That is a brilliant responce and something I think everyone should keep in mind when they post on here and then I think things might run much smoother.

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:39 pm

qubicpotato wrote:@ Cyber Rat: That is my point though, why is it that there are members or the admin team, full stop. Why cant there be someone a little less 'tied' by the title of admin ... Admin aides....I've never come across such a title on any other forum and it just sounds pompous. ... Is it possible to bring in a position with a title that may seem a little friendlier than 'admin' or 'admin aide' to newer members? That is all I was saying, people are clearly not happy how things are, I tried to give a suggestion as to why I thought that might be, I even tried to do it by suggesting what I thought could be a positive solution, to discuss.... Only having admins or their aides just doesnt seem very 'member friendly' to me. Its the title of admin aide I was concerned about, not the members that are currently labelled that way.

Im not here to argue. I have a sense of humour which obviously isnt appreciated hence my NB. I figured Id have to excuse myself at some point. Also a reason why I dont post much personally - got to be so careful to say things exactly in the right way so that noone is remotely offended. Full respect to anyone Ive responded to, dont take my posts badly, I actually care about the forums. I'll just keep quiet now though, no need to raise blood pressures :).
I get your sense of humour too. Admin aides to me is also a wierd title but tbh I really dont think the title matters, I couldnt think what to call it otherwise, as it does describe what they do. iI Jemma is one of these experienced owners and posters and you didnt know because the title is not broadcasted and she gives such brilliant support then I think this new idea must be working. Also having just the admin titles I think makes it easy to identify them.

Like any one else I dont always get on here with any predictability and I have all respect for the mods and everyone involoved, on such a busy site it must be hard work. I never even notice that people like Cyber Ratty were mods when they have replied to my posts because they offer such sound advice until I've seen them in mod action.

Lackis wrote:
Athena wrote:People need to understand Fr is a forum not just an information service. There are going to be emptive responses to some topics. Just as you shouldn't take advice here instead of seeing a vet, you shouldn't take anything too heart. The internet provides a certain anonymity so you must expect online replies to be different to real life!
That is a brilliant responce and something I think everyone should keep in mind when they post on here and then I think things might run much smoother.
Exactly how I hold this site. I have typed argumentative responses sometimes, not posted them, had a cup of tea and if I cant find a better way of putting it I delete it :D
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:47 pm

izimcflizz wrote:
Lackis wrote:
Exactly how I hold this site. I have typed argumentative responses sometimes, not posted them, had a cup of tea and if I cant find a better way of putting it I delete it :D
I love this thread :hearts: :lol: we should all contribute our methods on calming down and holding off on angry posting! I could certainly do with the tips anyway as I either get annoyed and snap or don't visit the forum so much for a few months because I think I'll get mad and behave badly. Wrinting out a post and then going away from it for a while before you submit it is really good, gives you the chance to cool off and then re-read what you've put and modify it in an objective state of mind.

Cate

Post by Cate » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Lackis wrote: we should all contribute our methods on calming down and holding off on angry posting! I could certainly do with the tips anyway as I either get annoyed and snap or don't visit the forum so much for a few months because I think I'll get mad and behave badly. Wrinting out a post and then going away from it for a while before you submit it is really good, gives you the chance to cool off and then re-read what you've put and modify it in an objective state of mind.
I go away and make notes on what I'm thinking of saying and chew it over in my head for a while and go over it in the shower or bath. Then I tell myself I'll post it tomorrow. When tomorrow comes the thread has usually moved on. :wink:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:15 am

Lackis wrote:I love this thread :hearts: :lol: we should all contribute our methods on calming down and holding off on angry posting!
Good idea - I would also say, read the thread fully, and if someone else has already made the point you want to make, then try to resist making it too. ('You' as in generic you, i.e. nobody in particular.) :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:
Lackis wrote:I love this thread :hearts: :lol: we should all contribute our methods on calming down and holding off on angry posting!
Good idea - I would also say, read the thread fully, and if someone else has already made the point you want to make, then try to resist making it too. ('You' as in generic you, i.e. nobody in particular.) :wink:

I haven't read all of the thread (which is quite ironic when taking into account what you've just said, haha), but surely that goes against the entire idea of a forum? You should be encouraging people to give their views not hide them because someone else has already said it, you should be encouraging them to give their views in a respectful way that isn't going to cause offence...

If we are to take your idea on bored, then really I wouldnt see the point in posting here as FR would turn into a monotonous place to be, which in turn would make the forum extremely boring to browse and indeed post. Healthy debate is good, in a way which is respectful to everyone :exclaim: :luck:
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Anthony wrote:
Cyber Ratty wrote:

I haven't read all of the thread (which is quite ironic when taking into account what you've just said, haha), but surely that goes against the entire idea of a forum? You should be encouraging people to give their views not hide them because someone else has already said it, you should be encouraging them to give their views in a respectful way that isn't going to cause offence...

If we are to take your idea on bored, then really I wouldnt see the point in posting here as FR would turn into a monotonous place to be, which in turn would make the forum extremely boring to browse and indeed post. Healthy debate is good, in a way which is respectful to everyone :exclaim: :luck:
I think this is a really difficult one though as if a point is repeated by several different people, as respectfully and politely as it may be put, its more likely to be taken as an attack then if its only stated by the one person. Equally though if a point is only made once it could be lost and whoever the point is aimed at could take offence to it just as easily anyway as if more people had said it, but atleast when more people state the point it shows it to be more valid.

To be completely honest though, from what I've seen the majority of 'arguments' seem to start because (theres no other way of putting this) some people are a bit uptight... I've seen a few posts where I've read it and thought it seemed like a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to say, then scrolled down to see someone starting to rant in response to it. It generally seem to me that most of the time its actually whoever jumps to the defense when a criticism/suggestion has been pointed out that is the more arguementative, sarcastic and rude :-? . I dont know if anyone else has noticed this?

I dont how this can be prevented and improved, but its just my observation. I do have to say though, on some threads I've seen over the last few days that did initially appear as though they may escalate havent... it does appear that people are trying to avoid arguments more now but there will always be the occasional thread that goes bang.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Jimi+Milo wrote:what I've seen the majority of 'arguments' seem to start because (theres no other way of putting this) some people are a bit uptight... I've seen a few posts where I've read it and thought it seemed like a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to say, then scrolled down to see someone starting to rant in response to it. It generally seem to me that most of the time its actually whoever jumps to the defense when a criticism/suggestion has been pointed out that is the more arguementative, sarcastic and rude :-? . I dont know if anyone else has noticed this?
I have. Seriously I put most of the bickering on here down to people being way too touchy. I mean come on if you don't like what someone has said then ignore it :lol:

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:39 pm

My thoughts exactly :)
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts: